Bands that went from ace to shite?

Probably a massive tin hat on, but I’ll throw “A” into the mix. First 2 albums were great, uncomplicated bubblegum pop-punk with added keyboards and samples - much cooler and nowhere near as smooth or polished as the American pop-punk bands who were gaining popularity at the same time. Some of the lyrics were horrendous (“My name is Jason, I’ll smash your face in, I’ve got relations in my band”) but it was all great fun and in good humour.

The next 2 albums were horrendous and they broke up.
They have the song "Nothing"? Will always remember them for that song, as was always one of the first on my Creative Zen due to the band name obviously.

So very 2002 everything I have just written.

Funnily enough, “Nothing” is exactly what I was talking about when I said they went crap.
Will give their first two a whirl sometime. Having looked them up, had no idea they were British like. Was loads of bands that had an American look/sound to them around that time. Bush, Lost Prophets (I know) etc.

Queen, after touring their first album and as largely unknowns rocking the roof off The Mecca they strangely decided to transition into a West End Pantomime Show...

Holy Bible is probably as close to perfection as an album can get. Everything must go is also fantastic, it just goes downhill after there doesnt it
I can talk the arse of anybody about Holy Bible. It's the most challenging, brilliant & emotive album I return to again & again. It won't be surpassed in terms of raw honesty or testimony to lyrical genius. Off for a listen...

UB40

Simple Minds

U2
Queen, after touring their first album and as largely unknowns rocking the roof off The Mecca they strangely decided to transition into a West End Pantomime Show...

That's a bit harsh but true.

I nearly forgot, Simply Red.

Last edited:

Back