Bands that went from ace to shite?

Probably a massive tin hat on, but I’ll throw “A” into the mix. First 2 albums were great, uncomplicated bubblegum pop-punk with added keyboards and samples - much cooler and nowhere near as smooth or polished as the American pop-punk bands who were gaining popularity at the same time. Some of the lyrics were horrendous (“My name is Jason, I’ll smash your face in, I’ve got relations in my band”) but it was all great fun and in good humour.

The next 2 albums were horrendous and they broke up.

Did they swap it all for a job in Starbucks? They said they wouldnt....

Tyranosaurus Rex Shirley!
Genesis, it was all downhill once Peter Gabriel left.

I was about to post the same. It slowly broke my heart to see them turn into the Phil Collins soft-rock support band.

Sadly I think leaving Genesis knacked Gabriel as well. A large part of his appeal to me at least was his clever lyrics. That was lost after he left Genesis. Genesis with Gabriel was a band that was greater then the sum of its parts.

The first couple of albums were class. They started shit when he sacked Stuart Cable IMO
They went shite long before Cable left. I remember when they released “Have a Nice Day” thinking “WTF” but had convinced myself the album would be better. It wasn’t. They turned into jingly MOR pop-rock overnight. “Vegas Two Times” was the only passable song on that album.

Metallica, first three albums were brilliant, Justice wasn't bad and then they released that shit f***ing black album and it's been downhill ever since.

I'd love to hear Justice with better/different production. I can't bear listening to it as the production is so thin and weak.

Genuinely amazed at how all the folk mentioning Arctic monkeys can’t see the how Tranquility Bass is a work of genius.
TBF, once somebody has lost interest in a band (or decided they are shite) they generally don’t bother giving any subsequent albums a chance unless they are specifically told the band is back at their best. The last Arctic Monkeys album did get a very mixed reception and either not be to the tastes of a lot of the early fans or will not be of interest.

Heart. From solid Led Zep based riffology to smoochy poodle rock power ballads. I think this applies to any band who went from writing their own songs to letting record companies employing people to do it for them.

I'd love to hear Justice with better/different production. I can't bear listening to it as the production is so thin and weak.
I find that with a lot of 80s stuff. I love the American punk scene but, with a few notable exceptions, the production was horrendous (especially with hardcore bands) until the early 90s when Brett Gurewitz started signing bands to his label and producing their albums for them.

Back