Bands that sound like The Beatles which people might not have heard

Canny good. Todd Rundgren was also in a 60s group called Nazz who were decent from the handful of tunes I've heard. Open My Eyes and Hello Its Me two good tunes

Todd, amongst his plethora of eclectically stylistic variations (he did a bossa nova album for example) does a pretty neat Beatles pastiche - and you are correct, the Nazz were a Beatles inspired 60s Anglophile quartet. He’s played Beatles covers and exact recorded replicas of their songs (amongst Byrds, Hendrix and other copies) on albums and live. He also plays in Ringo Starrs Allstar band. And he had a spat in the press with John Lennon about ‘originality’ in the 70s

I’m a fan. One who recognises when he releases utter self indulgent shite and waste of time Beatles pastiches too by the way

Is it really!! very talented lad is Andy and XTC are one of the most underrated bands of all time. thanks for that little tit bit..;)

He also plays bass on What In The World?..And while he doesn't play the bass on the final recording..He "wrote" the bass line for Mayor Of Simpleton,as it appears on Andy's solo demo recording of the track.

I was in a band in 1979 call Jackie Fish and the Slebs and we sounded EXACTLY like the Beatles. Nobody ever heard us. So the criteria of the thread title is fully realised and I win.

I know that AP claimed that, but I personally don't believe him. It sounds like the work of a proper bass player, and Moulding wrote and sang on the song - why wouldn't he play his instrument on it?

AP has a reputation as an egotistical wanker (I say that despite XTC being a favourite of mine). Moulding said he'd never work with him again, and changed houses and phones so AP could only contact him through management. That speaks volumes.

The bass line is so demanding of attention surely it could only have been played by an "egotisitcal wanker" ;) ..Andy is undoubtedly something of a control freak when it comes to making music.but egotist is a bit strong in my view..He has always been forthcoming and open in the past as to where he may have lifted or borrowed musical ideas from..I find it highly unlikely that he would have made up a fact about playing an instrument on one of his band's own recordings..When Colin decided he no longer wanted to work in music,it was Andy himself who said that he had no interest in carrying on XTC without him..Nobody really knows what goes on behind closed doors..But I find it interesting that while Partridge & Gregory seem to have patched up their differences and are able to get along now..Colin doesn't really get along with either of them.

He also plays bass on What In The World?..And while he doesn't play the bass on the final recording..He "wrote" the bass line for Mayor Of Simpleton,as it appears on Andy's solo demo recording of the track.
Aye a lot of writers demo at home, then take it in to the band, Pete Townsend and Sting come to mind, I think they made almost complete demos of certain tracks, then introduced the song to the band, I think Townsend's drumming resembles Moons on some of the stuff too.

Todd, amongst his plethora of eclectically stylistic variations (he did a bossa nova album for example) does a pretty neat Beatles pastiche - and you are correct, the Nazz were a Beatles inspired 60s Anglophile quartet. He’s played Beatles covers and exact recorded replicas of their songs (amongst Byrds, Hendrix and other copies) on albums and live. He also plays in Ringo Starrs Allstar band. And he had a spat in the press with John Lennon about ‘originality’ in the 70s

I’m a fan. One who recognises when he releases utter self indulgent shite and waste of time Beatles pastiches too by the way

His worst album ever (to date). I thought Faithful was good tho.

Back