Bands that sound like The Beatles which people might not have heard

Another vote for the Rutles. This is one of the best songs the Beatles never wrote
--

The brilliant thing about The Rutles is the attention to detail. All of the songs are recognisable as Beatles songs but at the same time they were changed enough to avoid copyright infringement. Think the record company still sued McInnes in the end although George Harrison and McCartney were meant to love it (obviously Harrison was in it). But it takes real skill and clear love and appreciation for him to parody it so well. Cheese & Onion is a brilliant tune and so is Piggy In The Middle.

The brilliant thing about The Rutles is the attention to detail. All of the songs are recognisable as Beatles songs but at the same time they were changed enough to avoid copyright infringement. Think the record company still sued McInnes in the end although George Harrison and McCartney were meant to love it (obviously Harrison was in it). But it takes real skill and clear love and appreciation for him to parody it so well. Cheese & Onion is a brilliant tune and so is Piggy In The Middle.
The second album is just as good, more psychedelic, so that should be right up your street.

PS, the guitarist and bloke that plays bass and sings the McCartney stuff is Ollie Halsall frtom the band Patto, the drummers ( John Halsey) from the same band.

Last edited:
Have a like. Even though you spelled my hero Neil Innes' name wrong.

I'm not posting links but almost the entire career of Electric Light Orchestra probably came from 'I am The Walrus'. Tears for Fears also did a good impersonation on Sewing the Seeds of Love.

Check out Jellyfish.

There was a time when if you didn't sound like the Beatles you didn't stand a chance (sort of)

"...the band the Beatles could have been"
Great band. Cheap Trick also have their Beatles moments from time to time too.

Cheap Trick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beat me to it :lol:

Kind of similar to the guitar solo on Taxman being played by Paul McCartney..The bass on Vanishing Girl is entirely played by Andy Partridge.
I know that AP claimed that, but I personally don't believe him. It sounds like the work of a proper bass player, and Moulding wrote and sang on the song - why wouldn't he play his instrument on it?

AP has a reputation as an egotistical wanker (I say that despite XTC being a favourite of mine). Moulding said he'd never work with him again, and changed houses and phones so AP could only contact him through management. That speaks volumes.

Back