Baltimore bridge collapse

If the owner doesn’t cough up the US military should start boarding his ships wherever they are and raffling them annd their contents off to other shipping magnates. Sorted. Next…….

Pretty standard in US, they'll be going through maintenance records, adherence to international regulations and codes. There'll likely be a failure somewhere. If they sailed the ship with a known defect that may have caused this incident then it could get interesting and the owners trying to limit liability will likely fail.
And an out of court settlement and all will be buried at sea.
I read an article about health and safety in the USA following a crush at a festival. They basically suggested that health and safety practices were flawed as people rarely faced trial and the “incentives” to get it right were watered down as the chances of going to jail were minimal. They were saying that it needs to change to the way we do it with criminal first ( if there’s a case) civil after that.

And an out of court settlement and all will be buried at sea.
I read an article about health and safety in the USA following a crush at a festival. They basically suggested that health and safety practices were flawed as people rarely faced trial and the “incentives” to get it right were watered down as the chances of going to jail were minimal. They were saying that it needs to change to the way we do it with criminal first ( if there’s a case) civil after that.
The limitation case will go the full distance, general average will take years to sort out, long after the allusion with the bridge has been forgotten by most folks.

Maersk are also currently liable for demurrage and detention charges caused by the Port of Baltimore being shut off to sea traffic. I’m sure containerised cargoes have been trucked elsewhere, not so easy to do that with bulk cargo and automotive/high and heavy. Megabucks all round. I need to ring my mate at Maersk and find out what the crack is.

Maersk are also currently liable for demurrage and detention charges caused by the Port of Baltimore being shut off to sea traffic. I’m sure containerised cargoes have been trucked elsewhere, not so easy to do that with bulk cargo and automotive/high and heavy. Megabucks all round. I need to ring my mate at Maersk and find out what the crack is.
They'll be pushing it onto the ship's owner.

Back