Baltic Cruise Advice

I’m looking at going on a Baltic Discovery cruise this coming summer (Newcastle-Norway-Sweden-Estonia-St Petersburg—Finland-Germany-Denmark-Newcastle)

Anybody done this particular one before?

I went on that one on Marella Discovery in 2018 mate

Itinerary was:

Oslo - NORWAY
Aarhus - DENMARK
Stockholm - SWEDEN
Tallinn - ESTONIA
St Petersburg - RUSSIA
St Petersburg - RUSSIA
Helsinki - FINLAND
Warnemunde - GERMANY
Copenhagen - DENMARK

Last edited:
eldest went with the(1st) ex earlier this year said it was ok...the (1st) ex broke her ankle in Tallinn spent the rest of the cruise in a wheelchair after getting sorted in stockholm.....shouldnt laugh but me and the bairn did anyway :lol:

Done a similar one. Get a balcony if you go. The cruise through Sweden is absolutely stunning.

Itinerary was:

Oslo - NORWAY
Aarhus - DENMARK
Stockholm - SWEDEN
Tallinn - ESTONIA
St Petersburg - RUSSIA
St Petersburg - RUSSIA
Helsinki - FINLAND
Warnemunde - GERMANY
Copenhagen - DENMARK

I think that is very close to the itinerary I’ve been looking at:

The ship is the Marella Explorer 2

Is it best to stick to the organised ship excursions or are there opportunities to do your own thing?

Definitely looking at the St Petersburg and trying to work out which excursion to choose. Wondering if the Russian ballet is worth a view.

In Stockholm, go to the Vasa Museum, it's next to the Abba museum as well if that's your thing
I think that is very close to the itinerary I’ve been looking at:

The ship is the Marella Explorer 2

Is it best to stick to the organised ship excursions or are there opportunities to do your own thing?

Definitely looking at the St Petersburg and trying to work out which excursion to choose. Wondering if the Russian ballet is worth a view.

For Tallinn, it's walkable from the ship so unless you want to do anything specific just wander down, same for Oslo. The ship will normally lay on shuttle buses in the other ports such as Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen.

You will need a (very pricey) visa to go shore in St Petersburg, so it's best to book an excursion either through the ship or with another tour operator such as Ala Tours, as they will cover you under a group visa that they have.

We went to the ballet (Swan Lake), I'd definitely recommend going for the enhanced/upgraded ballet as you will get taken to either the Marinsky or Alexandrinsky theatres which are fabulous.

Last edited:
In Stockholm, go to the Vasa Museum, it's next to the Abba museum as well if that's your thing

For Tallinn, it's walkable from the ship so unless you want to do anything specific just wander down, same for Oslo. The ship will normally lay on shuttle buses in the other ports such as Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen.

You will need a (very pricey) visa to go shore in St Petersburg, so it's best to book an excursion either through the ship or with another tour operator such as Ala Tours, as they will cover you under a group visa that they have.

We went to the ballet (Swan Lake), I'd definitely recommend going for the enhanced/upgraded ballet as you will get taken to either the Marinsky or Alexandrinsky theatres which are fabulous.

Cheers for this!

I have never done a cruise before, and looking for something a bit different for my 50th birthday.

It’s going to be just me, I had hoped to convince my brother and his wife to join me, but she gets sea sick in a rowing boat. So doing my own thing. Feels like I’m getting mugged by the single traveller supplement charge though!
Done a similar one. Get a balcony if you go. The cruise through Sweden is absolutely stunning.

Booked up this morning, got a balcony cabin on deck 8. When checking out the cabin prices, the price difference between outside cabin and balcony cabin wasn’t too great.

Dones anybody know how much hand luggage you allowed to carry on?

I’d like to take on a small hold-all bag with stuff (ipad etc) and my camera bag with slr camera and lenses. But if only allowed one carry on luggage, then I’m going to have leave camera bag at home.

Last edited:
Cheers for this!

I have never done a cruise before, and looking for something a bit different for my 50th birthday.

It’s going to be just me, I had hoped to convince my brother and his wife to join me, but she gets sea sick in a rowing boat. So doing my own thing. Feels like I’m getting mugged by the single traveller supplement charge though!

Booked up this morning, got a balcony cabin on deck 8. When checking out the cabin prices, the price difference between outside cabin and balcony cabin wasn’t too great.

Dones anybody know how much hand luggage you allowed to carry on?

I’d like to take on a small hold-all bag with stuff (ipad etc) and my camera bag with slr camera and lenses. But if only allowed one carry on luggage, then I’m going to have leave camera bag at home.

You'll be fine with two bags or more mate, basically as long as you can carry it you'll be fine. I have never seen anyone refused hand luggage.

One of the good things about cruises is that there is effectively no luggage restrictions, although you do have to ensure each piece of normal luggage is a reasonable weight for the people loading it onto the ship for you in the port.

One woman I read about went on a world cruise and took 19 suitcases for her and her husband :lol:

I’m looking at going on a Baltic Discovery cruise this coming summer (Newcastle-Norway-Sweden-Estonia-St Petersburg—Finland-Germany-Denmark-Newcastle)

Yes, I did it in the summer. All I can say, is do it. It is without doubt the best family holiday we have ever done. If you like City Breaks it`s perfect as you wake up in a different City just about every day. It`s like Inter Rail but in comfort. :D I was a bit wary at first thinking it`s just for old people but I wouldn`t hesitate to do it again.

Itinerary was:

Oslo - NORWAY
Aarhus - DENMARK
Stockholm - SWEDEN
Tallinn - ESTONIA
St Petersburg - RUSSIA
St Petersburg - RUSSIA
Helsinki - FINLAND
Warnemunde - GERMANY
Copenhagen - DENMARK

That`s pretty much the route I did but we did Gothenburg instead of Aarhus. Warnermunde was the one I was least looking forward to but I enjoyed that day so much. It was a lovely little seaside resort. We went to Rostock on the train in the morning and that was really easy to get to.

The girls did the Abba museum and me and my son went to Vasa to see the ship. It was great.

Great advice. We mainly used the shuttle bus which was a fiver each for most places although Oslo and Tallin and Copenhagen was within walking distance of the port. For St Petersberg we went with TJ Travel after being recommended by two people at work. We had a guided tour for 2 days in a mini bus with only 6 other people and good fast access into all of the palaces/museums. They were exceptional and our tour guide was great. My only regret is not having more time to go to Moscow.

Last edited:
St Petersburg is a top city, rammed with history. The Hermitage museum is immense, but if you can get into the Yusparov palace, that's the boy.
Sadly I went on the train so can't comment on the cruise.

YEs
Went from Copenhagen and it's great route
Warnemundi in Germany is a lovely little place and you can get to Rostock by train
Great way to see places on there own would be expensive to get to and stay

Thanks @The Ram @daventry cat @Shirley Shammel @Seaburn Mackem @mickb2112 and @Shandy drinker for all your suggestions and comments..... I think I’ll be picking all your brains as it closer to the time :D

Something I forgot to mention when I was making the booking at TUI in Durham, they said this year will be the last from Newcastle/Southampton for Marella vessels going to the Baltics, The Fjords, etc for a few years.
Booking this trip very soon, friend did it last year. All if the advice above spot on.

The one I’ve picked from Newcastle for Baltic Discovery leaves on 15 August, the other date offered was middle of July. I thought there was one for September but nothing came up on the screen.

Edit: Just had a quick look in cruise brochure and dates from Newcastle are:

16 May - Baltic Discovery (14 nights)
20 June - Baltic Charms (14 nights)
11 July - Baltic Explorer (14 nights)
15 Aug - Baltic Discovery (14 nights)

Last edited:
Thanks @The Ram @daventry cat @Shirley Shammel @Seaburn Mackem @mickb2112 and @Shandy drinker for all your suggestions and comments..... I think I’ll be picking all your brains as it closer to the time :D

Something I forgot to mention when I was making the booking at TUI in Durham, they said this year will be the last from Newcastle/Southampton for Marella vessels going to the Baltics, The Fjords, etc for a few years.

The one I’ve picked from Newcastle for Baltic Discovery leaves on 15 August, the other date offered was middle of July. I thought there was one for September but nothing came up on the screen.

Edit: Just had a quick look in cruise brochure and dates from Newcastle are:

16 May - Baltic Discovery (14 nights)
20 June - Baltic Charms (14 nights)
11 July - Baltic Explorer (14 nights)
15 Aug - Baltic Discovery (14 nights)
May will be greezing
June and July for me longer nights

Back