Bailey Wright

That is one way of looking at it.
An alternative view is that we were not going man for man. Their player made a move that was in no way a real threat but it drew Bailey out and created the space behind for the chance to be made. If Bailey had held the space there was no pass to be made. Also for me Winchester had come very narrow given he is our RB and was covering any move or pass to the right.
I am happy to disagree I guess that is what football is all about.

Fair points mate, as you say it depends if we were playing zonal or man for man marking, guess we will never know, I plan to watch the full 90mins through the week again so might be able to tell.

Not sure what happened to him…

Looked a player when on loan, and fans were happy when he signed permanently but his form has dropped off a cliff since. He looks finished all of a sudden.
Seems to be the inverse of the John Oster song & with an appropriate name to rhyme as well

I think he’s a decent enough squad player but for me Alves needs to come into the side if either Flanagan or Doyle are unavailable.

Wright was absolutely rancid when he was brought back into the team following Sanderson’s injury last season but I cut him some slack as he was coming back from injury himself, but today was a reminder that we can’t rely on him.

If Willis and Arby were both fully fit then he doesn’t get a look in.
So to clarify, you’re saying that he’s decent enough as a squad player, as long as he doesn’t actually have to play ?

So to clarify, you’re saying that he’s decent enough as a squad player, as long as he doesn’t actually have to play ?

I'm saying that he's decent enough cover if someone picks up a knock during a game or we have no other options for the starting XI, but for me he doesn't start when two of Flanagan, Doyle and Alves are available.

I don't think he's a bad player, he just no longer suits our style of play.

If we had a fully fit squad then he wouldn't make the bench.

I don't think it's any different from saying Aiden O’Brien is good enough to have around the squad, but I don't think anyone of us want him playing a run of games.

Last edited:
Why do we always need a scapegoat? We were all over the place at the back for their first, the blame lies with half of the team. Penna fair enough it seemed to be his fault but it was a bit soft.

I'm saying that he's decent enough cover if someone picks up a knock during a game or we have no other options for the starting XI, but for me he doesn't start when two of Flanagan, Doyle and Alves are available.

I don't think he's a bad player, he just no longer suits our style of play.

If we had a fully fit squad then he wouldn't make the bench.

I don't think it's any different from saying Aiden O’Brien is good enough to have around the squad, but I don't think anyone of us want him playing a run of games.
He’s absolutely shocking

Yet when he had to be used as cover, he lost us 2 points and our position at the top of the league?

Almost why I said I'd prefer to see Alves come into the starting XI over Wright at this moment in time?

Granted Alves is a bit of an unknown entity to us, but Sanderson only came into the team last season when it was a last resort and then became one of the first names on the team sheet.

Players are going to make mistakes and have erratic performances from one appearance to the next, some more than others, hence why those players then drop out the team and become part of the squad. Your third and fourth choice aren't likely going to be as a good an option as those in the starting XI. Bailey Wright is firmly in that category right now but until Willis and Arby are back fully fit, we need him as cover otherwise you'll run the risk of playing CMs out of position like we did for 1/3 of last season.

I agree. He seems like a jolly nice chap and I'm sure he could carry the half time oranges, give the occasional pep talk, issue a rallying cry etc without having to play.

And then in the next window we could free him to go and play in the United Arab Emirates or Australia or wherever.

Is he a scapegoat though? He's been crap for a lengthy spell
That's not unfair to say Rocky, but on Saturday he was no more at fault for their first than about 4 other players and for the although his found drew the penalty for second, it was soft.

So yeah, I think he's being held up as a scapegoat for this one when it's a team game and we should have been out of sight before our, equally soft, penalty. The blame really lies with the whole team for not scoring more when we were on top and then sitting back too much late in the second half.

Why do we always need a scapegoat? We were all over the place at the back for their first, the blame lies with half of the team. Penna fair enough it seemed to be his fault but it was a bit soft.
And he absolutely shanked an attempted clearance letting their man through - who promptly stumbled over the ball to let us off.

Why do people make so many excuses for him? The reason these days seems to be that he's better in a back five than a back four. Originally it was saying that he missed Jordan Willis. Then people were saying he lost form after the injury despite the fact he was atrocious in November and December last year.

He makes dumb stupid individual errors far more frequently than a centre half should. It has very little to do with which centre halves, how many centre halves are on the pitch and any injury he's had. He's not very good, we were all wrong when we signed him and thought he was going to be one of the best centre halves in the league. It's alright to just say that.

Why do people make so many excuses for him? The reason these days seems to be that he's better in a back five than a back four. Originally it was saying that he missed Jordan Willis. Then people were saying he lost form after the injury despite the fact he was atrocious in November and December last year.

He makes dumb stupid individual errors far more frequently than a centre half should. It has very little to do with which centre halves, how many centre halves are on the pitch and any injury he's had. He's not very good, we were all wrong when we signed him and thought he was going to be one of the best centre halves in the league. It's alright to just say that.

Agree with this.

Any professional CB at any level is going to look better in a 5 at the back. They have added protection and in Wright's case, he always operated as the spare man.

The latest one is that he offers "leadership".

I don't know about anyone else but I certainly didn't see any leadership when he was ripping the shirt off Morton's back to cost us a win in a situation where we needed leaders to stand up the most.

I'd rather players who can actually perform on the pitch than someone who's around to organise the Christmas party.

Last edited:

Back