Bailey Wright

Instills a sense of calm and composure to the defence, genuinely looks too good for this level

we’ve needed that for years. I think he is absolute quality. Exactly what we need for this system. As soon as he pops the ball off he runs to create an angle, little things but haven’t seen that in an age for SAFC.

Half of Sheffield United's players played at this level mate. The extra pace that Willis has got sets him apart from most CHs at any level tbh. The way he gets down the wing and puts balls in is very similar to the way Sheff United like their CHs to play is my main point though.

I agree on the tactics and I would suggest Parkinson has been watching a fair bit of Sheffield United this season. For me though, whilst Willis has outstanding physical attributes, his distribution and touch probably cap him at Championship level. He's not that young either.

Looks like a good player but fitness, rather than ability, was the issue at Bristol was it not?

We played him through an injury, due to other injuries.

Didn't complain once, missed out of being Aussie World Cup captain due to it.

We've had, at CB, Flint (10m), Webster (25m), Kalas (8m), Benkovic (13m), Baker (3m) & Ashley Williams in the past couple of seasons so he's just been unlucky to have to compete against such quality players.

I agree on the tactics and I would suggest Parkinson has been watching a fair bit of Sheffield United this season. For me though, whilst Willis has outstanding physical attributes, his distribution and touch probably cap him at Championship level. He's not that young either.

He's only 25. Centre back, similarly to keeper is a position in which players come to their peak a bit later than others. I'm not saying he will improve enough to be a top flight player, necessarily, but I wouldn't write him off either.

We've had, at CB, Flint (10m), Webster (25m), Kalas (8m), Benkovic (13m), Baker (3m) & Ashley Williams in the past couple of seasons so he's just been unlucky to have to compete against such quality players.
Totally agree with that mate, the first 2 are easily Prem level so you are well stocked in that department. Bailey is outstanding for us & we'd love to keep him, plus he's almost as good as Franz Flanenbauer.

Ozturk has looked a lot better in the middle of a back three than he ever did when we had four at the back. He probably is unlucky to be dropped but Wright seems more of a footballer.
Ozturk is too slow and clumsy to be anything other than an OK league 1 centre half. He looked decent on the centre of a back three allowing Willis and Lynch or Flanagan to cover the wing backs but he was all over the place in a back 4.

Really interesting thread this.
I think Wright is a very good organiser, vocal, has the confidence of a natural leader. Is it just me or do I wrongly perceive him as a little lumbersome, maybe lacking that half yard?
Is that about debilitating injuries? A lack of match sharpness? Yet I thought by how mobile he appears that he's approaching or past the 30 year old mark. Yet an OP says he's only 25. That surprises me. Maybe and hopefully he will improve as he notches up more games.
I have warmed to PP as a manager. I thought Ozturk was playing his best football since he joined the club before Wright came into the squad but I fear Ozturk is at best a good League 1, brick shit house, type of player.
That he, PP, has got such a character as Wright in on loan and who needs a new contract and thus has something to prove is a very positive step.
Haway the Lads.

Fuck knows how we’ve managed to get him while in league one. Looks a cut above and was quality again tonight.
Agreed. Looks like he and Willis could certainly form a partnership in The Championship. Very good signing by Parkinson - hope we are in a position to offer him a deal at the end of the season
Really interesting thread this.
I think Wright is a very good organiser, vocal, has the confidence of a natural leader. Is it just me or do I wrongly perceive him as a little lumbersome, maybe lacking that half yard?
Every L1 player has limitations. That's why they are L1 players

2 best defenders in the league? Willis could play at a higher level IMO. No wonder we have the best defensive record in the league.

No way, Tom Anderson at Doncaster is the best centre half in League One.

I think he's going to become a very popular figure here. You'll have guessed that anyway, though.

Too early to tell with Semenyo, he looked like he wasn't sure what was expected of him when he came on last night. Some good touches though.

Last edited:

Back