Bag checking

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date

What's in the OPs bags? Been shopping at Anne Summers or S&M inc?
That’s the point. It’s whats in my bag. Maybe there are things in there that I don’t want someone else to see.
Now, if you were stopped by a cop and they wanted to look in your bag would you let them?

I’ve lived in Oz since 2007 (look at me etc etc).
One thing that I have found unique to here is the policy some shops have of checking shoppers bags upon exiting the shop.
It’s not a physical search just an opening of the bag so the staff member can look in.
I can see that it’s a shoplifting prevention measure, but it’s not something that I agree with or let happen to me, yet I see people queueing up to allow it to happen.
Am I being unreasonable in refusing?

I think it is unreasonable of you to refuse.

I’ve lived in Oz since 2007 (look at me etc etc).
One thing that I have found unique to here is the policy some shops have of checking shoppers bags upon exiting the shop.
It’s not a physical search just an opening of the bag so the staff member can look in.
I can see that it’s a shoplifting prevention measure, but it’s not something that I agree with or let happen to me, yet I see people queueing up to allow it to happen.
Am I being unreasonable in refusing?
I've been dealing with that all my life, pal. I can't tell you how many times I've been the one that gets pick for their "random" bag check. I get why you're upset. For me, it's just part of life, so I don't let it get to me anymore.

I've been dealing with that all my life, pal. I can't tell you how many times I've been the one that gets pick for their "random" bag check. I get why you're upset. For me, it's just part of life, so I don't let it get to me anymore.
It’s not the imbuggerance of it. I am a cop so up to a point understand what they’re doing. But it’s not because they actually have any interest in prosecuting the thief. It’s all to do with profit maximization.
I have been given powers by the state over and above that of the man on the street. I have to be very very conscious that I have those powers and that I don’t abuse them. I can’t just approach someone and essentially accuse them of theft and look in their bags without having any grounds or evidence. So why do certain retailers over here think that is an acceptable policy?

That’s the point. It’s whats in my bag. Maybe there are things in there that I don’t want someone else to see.
Now, if you were stopped by a cop and they wanted to look in your bag would you let them?

If I was shopping at Tesco's yes. If I had a bag full of assless chaps, butt plugs, cocaine, a newcastle shirt, and a gonk suit then no.

When I was in India, I was made to hand my shopping bags over to a security guard at Hamleys, they put it in a locker and handed me a token to get it back. It felt proper weird!

Back