Bag checking

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23273

I’ve lived in Oz since 2007 (look at me etc etc).
One thing that I have found unique to here is the policy some shops have of checking shoppers bags upon exiting the shop.
It’s not a physical search just an opening of the bag so the staff member can look in.
I can see that it’s a shoplifting prevention measure, but it’s not something that I agree with or let happen to me, yet I see people queueing up to allow it to happen.
Am I being unreasonable in refusing?

One thing that I have found unique to here is the policy some shops have of checking shoppers bags upon exiting the shop.
It’s not a physical search just an opening of the bag so the staff member can look in.
I can see that it’s a shoplifting prevention measure, but it’s not something that I agree with or let happen to me, yet I see people queueing up to allow it to happen.
In the middle east, you have to surrender your bag when you go into a shop.

Supermarkets, corner shops ? Probably better to search bags when you reach the till. People often carry their own bags, which might be full of stuff nicked. I didn't know they did that.

Supermarkets, corner shops ? Probably better to search bags when you reach the till. People often carry their own bags, which might be full of stuff nicked. I didn't know they did that.
Specifically K-Mart, Target - clothing, electrical and homewares and JB Hi-Fi. All big players in the retail market here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it has a deterrent effect. I think i'd be okay with it as i don't swipe stuff. But i'm sure I would feel the same way i do when i go through customs anything to declare section. Which is, i always feel guilty.

Why not redeploy the bag checkers as store detectives or put them in the back room checking the CCTV to keep a close eye on the shifty folk within the store.

They are treating everyone as potential shoplifters instead of focusing on the people who are actually doing the robbing.

Fine by me, I normally go in one shop to buy something if it’s not food shopping I don’t even bother with a bag, carry it out and go home.

Sometimes 2 shops if the first doesn’t have the item I require.
If I’m with the Mrs it’s 6 bags full.

Yes I believe you are being a cock or a shoplifter. It's absolutely harmless and you're causing drama for dramas sake. This is not a personal attack by the way, this is just my interpretation of the way you're behaving.

Why not redeploy the bag checkers as store detectives or put them in the back room checking the CCTV to keep a close eye on the shifty folk within the store.

They are treating everyone as potential shoplifters instead of focusing on the people who are actually doing the robbing.
Same kind of dilemma as Stop & Search

We are all treated as terrorists at airports.
Edit: potential terrorists.

Last edited:
Yes I believe you are being a cock or a shoplifter. It's absolutely harmless and you're causing drama for dramas sake. This is not a personal attack by the way, this is just my interpretation of the way you're behaving.
I must be a cock then because I’m certainly not a shoplifter.

just been to spain and you cant take a bag in any of the shops there. They have lockers at the front of the shop you have to leave them in

Back