Backs gone again

Bit of advice for everyone... don’t squat a 5x5 pr with no warm up then drive to camber sands and run up and down sand dunes with a 3 yo on you shoulders all day then sleep in the worlds most uncomfortable caravan. Your discs (I think, probably herniated) and what I assume is the sciatic nerve will never forgive you and you’ll never forgive yourself for snapping yourself up.:evil:

I’m going to be concentrating on pure rehabilitation of my back (assuming it’ll get better eventually, if not I’m off to the doctors) and working on flexibility. Any links to useful videos. There’s loads knocking about on you tube and I used to like de Francos limber 11 but it’s more leg based from what I remember. Anyone got experience with coming back from a lower back injury? What helped you? I’ve got a crude homemade reverse hypertension thing a might try hanging off tomorrow if I can make it downstairs and into my garage without crying too much.

Again? It was dodgy before you did all of that?
It was feeling a little sore for a few weeks in the mornings and I thought it was just age creeping up on me or doms from shifting heavy stuff about at work recently. It went about 2 years ago (bulging disc) and I stopped lifting for a good few months. I’ve been taking it so slowly since starting again (concentrating on perfect form too) I thought I was fine and the muscle I’d built up would protect me from knacking it again... how wrong I was. Been popping cocodamol like smarties all day, starting to walk without much pain now. The shooting numbness/tingling in my legs is much better and the pain is just in my lower back/arse. I’m not really one for doctors but I might have to suck it up and see one if there’s no improvement tomorrow.

The pain and numbness/tingling in my legs was instantly improved by doing this

And having a rolled up towel behind my lower back when I have to sit down.

TENS machine.
Is that not just sudo bollox? Think my mam has one... which makes me even more suspicious and sceptical.

Yes oily fish will deffo help.
Pack it in, when I laugh it hurts
:lol::lol::lol::lol:.

Been walking about today, feels much better. Just don’t have a great range of motion in my left leg just stuck with ibuprofen today. Think it might not be as serious as I first thought. I even sneezed earlier and it felt fine.

Last edited:
Is that not just sudo bollox? Think my mam has one... which makes me even more suspicious and sceptical.

Pack it in, when I laugh it hurts
:lol::lol::lol::lol:.

Been walking about today, feels much better. Just don’t have a great range of motion in my left leg just stuck with ibuprofen today. Think it might not be as serious as I first thought. I even sneezed earlier and it felt fine.
I've suffered with Lumbago for years and the TENS machine doesnt half give me some relief, think I paid £25 from argos, money well spent imo. Just check out the reviews and make your own mind up

Lots of walking and physio should help. Hopefully the disc isn’t too badly herniated and it’ll pop back into place. Mine was too far gone and had to have surgery!

Let us know.
It tickles. Don’t know how much good it’s doing but the tickling is a welcome distraction.
Lots of walking and physio should help. Hopefully the disc isn’t too badly herniated and it’ll pop back into place. Mine was too far gone and had to have surgery!
Don’t think it’s that bad. I’m not really feeling pain. Just stiffness. Walking has helped more than anything. Going to slowly start a stretching regime as my glutes and hamstrings were tight anyway before I hurt myself. Looking at stuff that will stretch them but won’t round my lower back and cause more problems/aggravate the disk

Bit of advice for everyone... don’t squat a 5x5 pr with no warm up then drive to camber sands and run up and down sand dunes with a 3 yo on you shoulders all day then sleep in the worlds most uncomfortable caravan. Your discs (I think, probably herniated) and what I assume is the sciatic nerve will never forgive you and you’ll never forgive yourself for snapping yourself up.:evil:

I’m going to be concentrating on pure rehabilitation of my back (assuming it’ll get better eventually, if not I’m off to the doctors) and working on flexibility. Any links to useful videos. There’s loads knocking about on you tube and I used to like de Francos limber 11 but it’s more leg based from what I remember. Anyone got experience with coming back from a lower back injury? What helped you? I’ve got a crude homemade reverse hypertension thing a might try hanging off tomorrow if I can make it downstairs and into my garage without crying too much.

Look up anything by Dr stuart mcgill.

I started with side bridge and bird dog exercises, which are part of his 'big 3' of back rehab. The third is called a 'curl up' , but it didn't do anything for me, but he stresses each case if different.

I incorporated glute bridges and mckenzie method, then progressed onto farmers walk and suitcase carries plus some anti rotation stuff, such as the pallof press.

I'm never going to deadlift or back squat again, but considering the state I was in, the rehab was a near miracle.

The earlier rehab stuff has found its way into my warm ups, and the loaded carries into my main routines. The glute bridge is now a loaded variety and squats are either goblet or landmine.

Good luck!

Back