BA4/5 - South Africa

Two new strains of COVID that appear to be more transmissible than even “stealth Omicron,” and that have the ability to evade antibodies from vaccination and prior infection, have arrived in the U.S.—and they could mean a new wave is coming.
big word could, or it could be like the 100's of other variants thats turned out to be nothing to worry about.

can you post the link up with the information regarding the two new strains please.
Any links about that?
had a quick look and it seems to be a bit click bait headline.

A new BA.4/BA.5 wave is “a strong possibility,” given the subvariants’ increased transmissibility and their ability to evade immunity, Sigal and his team wrote in their new study.

But Sigal doesn’t expect a huge wave, given that Omicron infected so many worldwide. He also doesn’t expect “a very severe wave in terms of disease severity,” he said, given the measure of protection—albeit reduced—that vaccination and/or prior Omicron infection will offer.

“Infections? Yes,” he said. “Disease severity? Not so much.”

Sigal and his team tested the new subvariants against blood samples from individuals who had been vaccinated with shots from Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson, and who had experienced a breakthrough BA.1 infection, as well as those who had been previously infected with BA.1 but had not been vaccinated.

They found that those who had been previously infected but not vaccinated experienced a nearly eightfold drop in neutralizing antibodies when exposed to the new subvariants. Those who had been vaccinated and previously infected saw a more mild threefold decrease, according to the study.

So the UK with high levels of omicron infection and very high vaccine take up should be fine.

Last edited:
Any links about that?
big word could, or it could be like the 100's of other variants thats turned out to be nothing to worry about.

can you post the link up with the information regarding the two new strains please.

had a quick look and it seems to be a bit click bait headline.

A new BA.4/BA.5 wave is “a strong possibility,” given the subvariants’ increased transmissibility and their ability to evade immunity, Sigal and his team wrote in their new study.

But Sigal doesn’t expect a huge wave, given that Omicron infected so many worldwide. He also doesn’t expect “a very severe wave in terms of disease severity,” he said, given the measure of protection—albeit reduced—that vaccination and/or prior Omicron infection will offer.

“Infections? Yes,” he said. “Disease severity? Not so much.”

Sigal and his team tested the new subvariants against blood samples from individuals who had been vaccinated with shots from Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson, and who had experienced a breakthrough BA.1 infection, as well as those who had been previously infected with BA.1 but had not been vaccinated.

They found that those who had been previously infected but not vaccinated experienced a nearly eightfold drop in neutralizing antibodies when exposed to the new subvariants. Those who had been vaccinated and previously infected saw a more mild threefold decrease, according to the study.

So the UK with high levels of omicron infection and very high vaccine take up should be fine.

Last edited:
Reading through all of that, it would appear that the jury is still out as to whether there's anything to worry about.
“If you’ve been vaccinated and you’ve had Omicron, your protection is adequate, at least against serious diseases,” said Alex Sigal, a professor at the Africa Health Research Institute in South Africa. He is one of the authors of a new study that found BA.4 and BA.5 could lead to a new wave of infections due to their ability to evade antibodies from both vaccination and previous infections.

“If anyone is protected, it should be these people,” he added.

That’s good news for many, but vaccination rates in America aren’t where they could be. According to the CDC, approximately 66.2% of the general population is fully vaccinated and only 45.8% have received a booster shot. Children under the age of 5 are not entitled to the vaccination."

The more I quickly read up on this, the more I feel the UK will be fine, countries whose population didn't take up the vaccine could find this new variant causing some concern, but its unclear how infection will lead to serious disease.

As ever get jabbed, get boosters and you will be pretty fine imo.

I'm at work so can't look at this in much detail but a have seen some tweets from virologists/immunologists I follow in the last few days.
It seems the gist is previous infection with Omicron offers poor protection going forward but vaccination is still holding up.

I'm at work so can't look at this in much detail but a have seen some tweets from virologists/immunologists I follow in the last few days.
It seems the gist is previous infection with Omicron offers poor protection going forward but vaccination is still holding up.
indeed, it seems pre omicron infection is worthless now ( delta etc ) 8 fold increase in the rate if only infected with omicron, 3 fold rate if you have had vaccines and omicron infection.

Seems thats why SA is doing not so great this wave, they had high Delta infections, which was great against the first omicron wave, but rubbish against this new one, plus not as high vaccines rates as someplace like the UK.

USA could have a bit of a stinker thanks to the low vaccine uptakes.

I think we will be fine, we have high rates of omicron and high rates of vaccines, so should be best placed to resist serious illness with these variants.

Latest variant on the other side of the world is some kind of collaboration between BA4 & BA5 and it looks like South Africa are starting to not have such a good time with it

Didn't we have a South Africa scare last year that didn't turn into much here though?

Covid twitchers might want to keep an eye on this one by the sounds of it

That was Delta wasn't it? Before it was renamed?

During Delta thier average deaths peaked at 580ish despite no vaccines.They did quite well considering.Btw the UK peaked at 1300 and others even higher.Obviously 11-12% less population and them being in their summer has to be taken into account.And as of today they are averaging 10 and the UK 223.Coming home to bite.🤔
South Africa with it's large white population have faired less well than poorer less white African countries, but I have no idea why.

As someone who loves to read about different cultures I have found the comparisons between countries, while not helpful, very interesting as you learn new things.

I remember early on there was talk of Sweden doing well and I heard some Swedish brainiac on the radio explain that this was in part to do with how few people the average Swede comes into contact with each week. They said that there had been an ongoing national convo in Sweden about loneliness in society and she gave stats on how many funerals have little to no people attending. Covid kicks in and that becomes a positive to them.

As someone who loves to read about different cultures I have found the comparisons between countries, while not helpful, very interesting as you learn new things.

I remember early on there was talk of Sweden doing well and I heard some Swedish brainiac on the radio explain that this was in part to do with how few people the average Swede comes into contact with each week. They said that there had been an ongoing national convo in Sweden about loneliness in society and she gave stats on how many funerals have little to no people attending. Covid kicks in and that becomes a positive to them.
I know people in Stockholm, and you are correct as they say their lives hardly changed.

BA4 and BA5.
Highly infectious.
Doesn't appear to be a health threat.
Some research seems to believe it’s reverted to attacking deeper lung tissue rather than the upper respiratory tract which Omnicron was. It’s possible that much more serious infections and potentially deaths will be a result.

All still early days but definitely worth remaining vigilant and carry on the recommendations for caution.

Back