Away Travel - Cheap Train Ticket Release Dates

how the f*ck do people get cheap train tickets that i always hear of?

looking at Wycombe tickets now, fair enough i'm 3 days after the 12 week point, but its still £150 per person return, or £100 with a rail card.

its totally barmy

looking at Wycombe tickets now, fair enough i'm 3 days after the 12 week point, but its still £150 per person return, or £100 with a rail card.

its totally barmy
Think wycombe is this Friday for advanced tickets mate

its totally barmy
Got to book as soon as they come out mate, 12 weeks prior to the game, Friday morning release.

⚽⚽ CHEAP TRAINS - RELEASE DATE.... ⚽⚽

For all our League AWAY games, the dates below are when rail operators "normally" release their cheap tickets... this is around 12 weeks before the actual date of travel.

When heading to away games, try travelling in 2 or more for good savings on top of the cheap tickets you can pickup as well.

The "Two Together" card (amongst other options) can save you 1/3 on fares, so you can even see a profit after making your 2nd trip ... The F&F (Friends and Family) Railcard is also worth a look for those travelling with at least 1 child under 15 at all times. (Valid for 4 adults - 1 must be the named card holder, and upto 4 kids under 15)

More info Railcard

Match Date | Vs | Cheap Tickets Date
10-Aug Ipswich 18-May
20-Aug Rochdale 28-May
31-Aug Peterboro 08-Jun
14-Sep Acc Stanley 22-Jun
21-Sep Bolton 29-Jun
05-Oct Lincoln 13-Jul
19-Oct Wycombe 27-Jul
26-Oct Shrewsbury 03-Aug
16-Nov Bristol Rovers 24-Aug
07-Dec Gillingham 14-Sep
21-Dec Bury 28-Sep
29-Dec Doncaster 06-Oct
01-Jan Fleetwood 09-Oct
18-Jan MK Dons 26-Oct
28-Jan Tranmere 05-Nov
01-Feb Portsmouth 09-Nov
15-Feb Oxford 23-Nov
29-Feb Coventry 07-Dec
14-Mar Blackpool 20-Dec
28-Mar Southend 03-Jan
10-Apr AFC Wimb 16-Jan
18-Apr Burton 24-Jan
03-May Rotherham 08-Feb

Just a small update on the more imminent dates anyway.

LNER are currently offering tickets up until 11th October. However:

The Lincoln date is excluded from this for now due to possible timetable changes for engineering work planned on 5th October. It's not clear when tickets for this date will be made available. TV fixtures for this weekend also still haven't been confirmed & might not be until 30th August.

The Wycombe date is still outside the booking window and tickets won't be available until a week on Friday (9th August). Again, TV fixtures also haven't been confirmed for this weekend & might not be until 30th August.
Worth checking emails if you've got a Transpennine Express account - I and others I know have been sent a £25 evoucher. Got to be used on TPE Advances but no restrictions / minimum spend otherwise except that you have to use it all at once. Can use for multiple journeys.

Last edited:
⚽⚽ CHEAP TRAINS - RELEASE DATE.... ⚽⚽

For all our League AWAY games, the dates below are when rail operators "normally" release their cheap tickets... this is around 12 weeks before the actual date of travel.

When heading to away games, try travelling in 2 or more for good savings on top of the cheap tickets you can pickup as well.

The "Two Together" card (amongst other options) can save you 1/3 on fares, so you can even see a profit after making your 2nd trip ... The F&F (Friends and Family) Railcard is also worth a look for those travelling with at least 1 child under 15 at all times. (Valid for 4 adults - 1 must be the named card holder, and upto 4 kids under 15)

More info Railcard

Match Date | Vs | Cheap Tickets Date
10-Aug Ipswich 18-May
20-Aug Rochdale 28-May
31-Aug Peterboro 08-Jun
14-Sep Acc Stanley 22-Jun
21-Sep Bolton 29-Jun
05-Oct Lincoln 13-Jul
19-Oct Wycombe 27-Jul
26-Oct Shrewsbury 03-Aug
16-Nov Bristol Rovers 24-Aug
07-Dec Gillingham 14-Sep
21-Dec Bury 28-Sep
29-Dec Doncaster 06-Oct
01-Jan Fleetwood 09-Oct
18-Jan MK Dons 26-Oct
28-Jan Tranmere 05-Nov
01-Feb Portsmouth 09-Nov
15-Feb Oxford 23-Nov
29-Feb Coventry 07-Dec
14-Mar Blackpool 20-Dec
28-Mar Southend 03-Jan
10-Apr AFC Wimb 16-Jan
18-Apr Burton 24-Jan
03-May Rotherham 08-Feb
Great informative thread this.

Should be made a sticky so it doesn’t get lost amongst other threads.

Just a small update on the more imminent dates anyway.

LNER are currently offering tickets up until 11th October. However:

The Lincoln date is excluded from this for now due to possible timetable changes for engineering work planned on 5th October. It's not clear when tickets for this date will be made available. TV fixtures for this weekend also still haven't been confirmed & might not be until 30th August.

The Wycombe date is still outside the booking window and tickets won't be available until a week on Friday (9th August). Again, TV fixtures also haven't been confirmed for this weekend & might not be until 30th August.
Worth checking emails if you've got a Transpennine Express account - I and others I know have been sent a £25 evoucher. Got to be used on TPE Advances but no restrictions / minimum spend otherwise except that you have to use it all at once. Can use for multiple journeys.
Was looking at Lincoln the other day and were wondering why the price was so high, cheers

Cheapies for Shrewsbury should be out now, not gonna have time to search but if anyone is strugging, let me know

Another point that may be of interest - CrossCountry now offer fee-free changes to advances (see Welcome to CrossCountry). This applies to any train journey with any operator so long as it's an advance booked through the XC website, not just XC journeys. So if a kickoff time/date gets changed at late notice you can change the date/time & pay any difference between your original ticket and the new ticket with no £10 deduction on each.

Last edited:
Another point that may be of interest - CrossCountry now offer fee-free changes to advances (see Welcome to CrossCountry). This applies to any train journey with any operator so long as it's an advance booked through the XC website, not just XC journeys. So if a kickoff time/date gets changed at late notice you can change the date/time & pay any difference between your original ticket and the new ticket with no £10 deduction on each.

great tip!, never knew that! every little helps ;)
SHREWSBURY AWAY 26 OCT (CHEAPEST Prices as at 12:58 today)

Same Day Return, Depart NCL: 07.35, Arrive Shrews: 11:50
Deprt Shrews: 18.13, Arrive NCL 22:47

1 Adult : 79.90
2 Adult with 1x Two Together RC: 105.40 (52.70each)
2 Adult + 2 Ch with 1x F&F RC: 135.80 (Avg price 33.75, althou we know adults are more than kids of course)
4 Adult + 2 Ch with 1x F&F RC: 271 (Avg price 45.16)
4 Adult + 1 Ch with 1x F&F RC: 254 (Avg price 50.80)

Prices from Newcastle to Shrewsbury Return, on XC Trains, changing at Brum New Street
Trains either side of these times may incurr higher prices

Last edited:
You can do the below on flexible adult tickets for £75.70 (found via trainsplit.com). Note the restrictions on it: need to get a TPE between Newcastle & York, TFW Manchester to Wilmslow, and ensure trains call at Manchester & Wilmslow (I think all will if you're doing this route anyway but ensure you check).

Just booked for Shrewsbury away Oct 26th. Edin.to Preston £14:30p r/turn..Preston to Crewe £6;60 return and Crewe to Shrews.£8;90 r/turn. Those prices are with a Two-together R/Card..£29:80p each..Purchased on the CrossCountry website..as LNER not yet selling for the above date..

Just booked for Shrewsbury away Oct 26th. Edin.to Preston £14:30p r/turn..Preston to Crewe £6;60 return and Crewe to Shrews.£8;90 r/turn. Those prices are with a Two-together R/Card..£29:80p each..Purchased on the CrossCountry website..as LNER not yet selling for the above date..
thats not bad at all, thats going West Coast Main Line of course. outstanding price

Back