Away Travel - Cheap Train Ticket Release Dates

Is there anyone that travels in group that has room for another on a Friends and Family Railcard? It gets quite expensive going by train on your tod!

You can treble Tescos points to pay for a rail card if you have them to make it a tenner for a card

£10 of points gets you a most railcards apart Disabled Persons RC which is just £7 of points

Tesco.com - Clubcard

Is there anyone that travels in group that has room for another on a Friends and Family Railcard? It gets quite expensive going by train on your tod!
Superb idea, sure there's someone out there that travels with less than max quota ...

To qualify for a Family & Friends Railcard, your group must contain at least one named Railcard holder and at least one child aged between 5 and 15 years. The maximum group size is up to four adults (aged 16 years and over) including the named cardholder(s), and four children (aged 5-15 years).

Gotta be some saving to be made there..

... and don't forget folks, using when booking tickets it may be cheaper again, to split the journey, even on the same train/seats.

See https://new.trainsplit.com * for more info. Other split journey booking sites are available *

Last edited:
£10 of points gets you a most railcards apart Disabled Persons RC which is just £7 of points

Tesco.com - Clubcard

Superb idea, sure there's someone out there that travels with less than max quota ...

To qualify for a Family & Friends Railcard, your group must contain at least one named Railcard holder and at least one child aged between 5 and 15 years. The maximum group size is up to four adults (aged 16 years and over) including the named cardholder(s), and four children (aged 5-15 years).

Gotta be some saving to be made there..

... and don't forget folks, using when booking tickets it may be cheaper again, to split the journey, even on the same train/seats.

See https://new.trainsplit.com * for more info. Other split journey booking sites are available *
Booking direct with (LNER) got us 25% off as there’s 7 of us travelling for the Ipswich game. Also collect Nectar points which get us a couple of free trips per season (only able to use on LNER). Booking the majority of travel on TPE through top cashback makes an excellent saving as well particularly on TPE trains as you get 4.2% cashback and 1.05% on all other train companies.

Booking direct with (LNER) got us 25% off as there’s 7 of us travelling for the Ipswich game. Also collect Nectar points which get us a couple of free trips per season (only able to use on LNER). Booking the majority of travel on TPE through top cashback makes an excellent saving as well particularly on TPE trains as you get 4.2% cashback and 1.05% on all other train companies.

Yea mate, that also applies to groups of 3 to 9 travelling together...

Friends with benefits

They also have 1+ group discount as well if we all wanna jump on board (pardon the pun) together

BIG group savings

⚽⚽ CHEAP TRAINS - RELEASE DATE.... ⚽⚽

For all our League AWAY games, the dates below are when rail operators "normally" release their cheap tickets... this is around 12 weeks before the actual date of travel.

When heading to away games, try travelling in 2 or more for good savings on top of the cheap tickets you can pickup as well.

The "Two Together" card (amongst other options) can save you 1/3 on fares, so you can even see a profit after making your 2nd trip ... The F&F (Friends and Family) Railcard is also worth a look for those travelling with at least 1 child under 15 at all times. (Valid for 4 adults - 1 must be the named card holder, and upto 4 kids under 15)

More info Railcard

Match Date | Vs | Cheap Tickets Date
10-Aug Ipswich 18-May
20-Aug Rochdale 28-May
31-Aug Peterboro 08-Jun
14-Sep Acc Stanley 22-Jun
21-Sep Bolton 29-Jun
05-Oct Lincoln 13-Jul
19-Oct Wycombe 27-Jul
26-Oct Shrewsbury 03-Aug
16-Nov Bristol Rovers 24-Aug - International weekend
07-Dec Gillingham 14-Sep
21-Dec Bury 28-Sep
29-Dec Doncaster 06-Oct
01-Jan Fleetwood 09-Oct
18-Jan MK Dons 26-Oct
28-Jan Tranmere 05-Nov
01-Feb Portsmouth 09-Nov
15-Feb Oxford 23-Nov
29-Feb Coventry 07-Dec
14-Mar Blackpool 20-Dec
28-Mar Southend 03-Jan - International weekend
10-Apr AFC Wimb 16-Jan
18-Apr Burton 24-Jan
03-May Rotherham 08-Feb

We’ve booked Ipswich and Peterborough so far. Waiting for TV games being announced before booking Accrington (league and cup), Rochdale and Bolton.

Every match in August bar AFC Wimbledon (engineering works that weekend) booked.

Just this minute booked the Rotherham home match September 17th and looking at the Bolton match on the 21st now and that will be me all booked for August and September. All booked for Accrington League Cup match as well.

Season can't start too soon.

Every match in August bar AFC Wimbledon (engineering works that weekend) booked.

Just this minute booked the Rotherham home match September 17th and looking at the Bolton match on the 21st now and that will be me all booked for August and September. All booked for Accrington League Cup match as well.

Season can't start too soon.
Great stuff, probably see u at Shields. Fortunately I’ve got some offers for money off trains for all of the games I’ve got to book during August and September through transpennine which will help keep the costs down.

Great stuff, probably see u at Shields. Fortunately I’ve got some offers for money off trains for all of the games I’ve got to book during August and September through transpennine which will help keep the costs down.

Really looking forward to the Shields/Hebburn friendlies.

Hoping the Rochdale game doesn't move from its original Aug 20th date as I've booked accommodation and can't cancel as I picked the cheapo rate:Dand can't cancel.

If anyone's going to Ipswich via London and has a network railcard then, while you can't use it for the full London - Ipswich journey, you can on a ticket as far as Colchester. Saved me about £15 on the day return IIRC.

Checked on dates upto and inc Oct 5/6. Most days are ok to book apart from a few end of Sept, and the weekend of 5/6 Oct when we play away to Lincoln
Going to try and keep this post updated on a (Away) Game by (Away) basis, starting with Wycome in Sept (tickets for all other days prior to this game) are now on sale so prices wont be cheap tickets.

I'll try and cover all bases including single travel, 2 travelling (with/without Railcard), and a Family with Railcard etc. Will take some time to review and work out so bare with me. If anyone one any other travel combinations, please let me know. When pricing up travel, I'll look at trains from NEWCASTLE to the NEAREST MAINLINE STATION (ie: if we play in London, it'll be LONDON KINGS CROSS, for example)
Tickets will be direct trains without any changes

Last edited:

Back