Average house price of where you live

You must have overpaid a canny amount mind. Which is fine you do you, just grates on me when people like yourself pretend you’re not wealthy
I'm far from skint and to many in the north east I may appear wealthy.. in the area I live I'm just an average bloke with a couple properties I rent out

Said it plenty, either this forum is a blip and somehow a north east based football forum appeals to the very rich for some reason that we probably can't fathom

or there's something else afoot. The boasting and bragging veiled as discussion isn't particularly appealing tbh

See the minted landlord with many properties in the post above as an example. Imagine having that lunatic as a landlord?

Apache is a fictional character for sure

It does amaze me how many people on this board have holiday homes, property portfolios, salaries in the top 5% nationally etc

Some are genuine - I don’t doubt that Epping and MT and the like are telling the truth. Some are absolutely lying though.
I'm far from skint and to many in the north east I may appear wealthy.. in the area I live I'm just an average bloke with a couple properties I rent out

The average bloke doesn’t own three properties though mate. Sorry it just really fucks me off when people with money pretend they’re average…it’s almost as if they want to pretend they don’t have this massive advantage

Last edited:
well touch wood I have good tenants over the years and never too stressful... then again I rent them out under market rate so they know they are onto a decent thing.

I’ve sold off the majority of what I had over the past 5yrs and kept properties with tenants you describe as they are worth their weight in gold. Longest tenant I’ve got is over 10yrs in a new build I bought off plan - I’ve barely raised the rent from the day she moved in.

You must have overpaid a canny amount mind. Which is fine you do you, just grates on me when people like yourself pretend you’re not wealthy
not really overpaid loads..

my first flat 20+ years ago was 68k

if my mortgage payments were £700 I would have paid maybe a grand.. rememebr it was cheaper than renting and thats between myself and the missus.. I also took lodgers into the spare room for a couple years to help out

£300 a month extra over 12 months in £3600 addtional off the mortgage so if my payments then declined I'd still keep my payments at a grand a month.. following year paid £3800 off etc... lived there for close to 10 years so thats a big chunk of the capital paid off.. I think it was donw to about 25-30k by time I left.. remortgage it back to 60-70K and use the 30K o put a big down payment on next property.. rnt covers mortgage, all bills and gets you a drink a month.

the gains really have been the prices of property rising but as I've said you only really seee that when you sell. Clear the mortgage and get an income too but if you ae working full time fair chunk of that is handed straight over to the taxman

if my mortgage payments were £700 I would have paid maybe a grand.. rememebr it was cheaper than renting and thats between myself and the missus.. I also took lodgers into the spare room for a couple years to help out

£300 a month extra over 12 months in £3600 addtional off the mortgage so if my payments then declined I'd still keep my payments at a grand a month.. following year paid £3800 off etc... lived there for close to 10 years so thats a big chunk of the capital paid off.. I think it was donw to about 25-30k by time I left.. remortgage it back to 60-70K and use the 30K o put a big down payment on next property.. rnt covers mortgage, all bills and gets you a drink a month.

the gains really have been the prices of property rising but as I've said you only really seee that when you sell. Clear the mortgage and get an income too but if you ae working full time fair chunk of that is handed straight over to the taxman
Tbf relative to most these numbers are pretty big

Tbf relative to most these numbers are pretty big
oh I know.. the excess intiially was created from the rent from the lodger. as I stated we could only do it cos we had 2 incomes from reasonable jobs.

I used to lump any bonuses off too so that could be a couple a grand a year

tbf its nigh on impossible in the south east these days as the money just to get on the ladder is astronomical.. I dont know how people do it

Last edited:

a 65k mortgage on a "normal" 25 year mortgage would be more like 350 a month so you were paying triple that and would have it paid off in probably 15 years? not many could do that.

Last edited:
a 65k mortgage on a "normal" 25 year mortgage would be more like 350 a month so you were paying triple that and would have it paid off in probably 10 years? not many could do that.
Interst rates were a lot higher back then remember. I think it might have been a 30 year mortgage at the time with the option to pay 5 or 10% a year.

One thing I always dodged which were huge at the time were endowment mortgages . Always had a repayment mortgage

Last edited:
I suspect your income is somewhere in the 70-100k range, based on what you do, where you’re based etc. You’re selling a house atm so probably chance to make money off that as well. If you were able to get a London mortgage you must have a pretty good income.
It helps when mammy and daddy contribute mind.

The voice of the common man there. :lol:

Last edited:
Interst rates were a lot higher back then remember. I think it might have been a 30 year mortgage at the time with the option to pay 5 or 10% a year.

One thing I always dodged which were huge at the time were endowment mortgages . Always had a repayment mortgage
compared to today yes but not at 15% levels

It helps when mammy and daddy contribute mind.

The voice of the common man there. :lol:
This thread isn't about "average house prices where you live"

If it was, I'd probably post something like "about £45k"

It's about old men who perceive the value of their house as being directly proportionate to the imaginary size of their shrinking penis

There is a huge disconnect between the north east and London mind. I've got my folks here this week and the house they have is probably similar size ish to ours. The price difference is astronomical.
My dad's favourite hobby when he used to visit was looking in estate agents windows and going bloody hell.. that and the price of a pint

Back