Average GP now works 3.5 days per week

You have a hard on for defending the public sector.

I don’t think I’ve ever said otherwise. I have a fairly clear ideological opposition to the private sector and have previously expressed my desire never to work in it.

I don’t like it. I know it works and works well in some areas, not so in others.

Nothing depresses me like the thought of going to work to make money for someone else.

I don’t think I’ve ever said otherwise. I have a fairly clear ideological opposition to the private sector and have previously expressed my desire never to work in it.

We are at a stalemate then.

I’ve worked in both and have family who have worked in both.

We are at a stalemate then.

I’ve worked in both and have family who have worked in both.

As have I, but hopefully I’ll never work in it again.

Are the cultures different? Of course.

I’ve met fewer sneaky people in the public sector. I once worked for a very sneaky careerist in retail who would throw anyone under the bus to protect their reputation or get on the next rung of the ladder.

The public sector might be less efficient but I find there’s a greater percentage of people in it who are there to do good.

General Practice is fucked. You cant always keep doing more with less. Remember Hunt's pledge to recruit 5000 extra gps by 2020? They'd now have to get 6500 to meet that target.

THe NHS is a doss but no more than the private sector (you are all on the SMB all day).

I think it’s the middle management and clerical staff who whinge at the NHS that annoys people like POP. Junior doctors and consultants are getting walloped but that’s what comes with the job, it’s always been like that, even if it’s not right.

The only massive difference that I notice in private healthcare USA vs NHS in a speciality setting is the lack of surgical time you get. A lot of people who need treatment in the UK are waiting.

The NHS has way better outcomes than the US and continues to even in this ‘austerity’ so do not welcome your American overlords.

For clarity I’ve worked in both settings, now more managerial in the US. I’m not a doctor so I can only comment on what I observe.

it says an average of 41.8 hours per week

take into account the number of part time doctors. take into account the meaning of average. take into account the amount of sick leave and even holidays taken.

It soon bumps up that figure of a good number of doctors working well in excess of 41.8 hours a week.

it says an average of 41.8 hours per week

take into account the number of part time doctors. take into account the meaning of average. take into account the amount of sick leave and even holidays taken.

It soon bumps up that figure of a good number of doctors working well in excess of 41.8 hours a week.

I’m sorry did you not read the headline?

GPs are taking the piss. Folk working their arses off in office jobs up and down the country, whilst GPs spend three and a half days giving water tablets to old women and spend all Friday on the golf course - AND WE PAY FOR IT

The job is so stressful, I don't blame them working less than full time.
Really? Got to be one of the cushiest and well paid jobs on the market. Yeah, can imagine the training is mentally draining but when there in a practice, sitting on their arses listening to moans and groans , tut. Tutting. Stressfull my arse. Try working 3 shifts on a fast moving line and doing some fiddle work before lates and nightshift on 3 hours kip a day. Skin wadn’t graft. Rant over.

Sure I saw something about the average GP will have made the maximum pension contributions by age 52 so a lot of them will stop working as GP’s when they hit that.

There is no such thing mate. Although the majority of them will comfortably breach the lifetime allowance tax limit, they can still contribute to the Scheme.

I’m sorry did you not read the headline?

GPs are taking the piss. Folk working their arses off in office jobs up and down the country, whilst GPs spend three and a half days giving water tablets to old women and spend all Friday on the golf course - AND WE PAY FOR IT
judges do it. there used to be one at durham cc that was notorious for closing cases down early or finding an excuse not to hear it. everybody new Friday afternoon was his golf afternoon.

ps as said earlier just like threads on here bare no relation to the body of the op
Really? Got to be one of the cushiest and well paid jobs on the market. Yeah, can imagine the training is mentally draining but when there in a practice, sitting on their arses listening to moans and groans , tut. Tutting. Stressfull my arse. Try working 3 shifts on a fast moving line and doing some fiddle work before lates and nightshift on 3 hours kip a day. Skin wadn’t graft. Rant over.
I cant make my mind up if that is a wind up or for real

judges do it. there used to be one at durham cc that was notorious for closing cases down early or finding an excuse not to hear it. everybody new Friday afternoon was his golf afternoon.

ps as said earlier just like threads on here bare no relation to the body of the op

For real.

nah your trying to wind us up

Sitting on your arse all day googling "ailments" sounds terribly difficult.
You obviously have no idea what a GP does each day then.

You are only seeing it from the pt side (perhaps). You obviously have no idea what a GP actually has to cope with.

Last edited:
Great money, great pension, helping folks etc etc.
They are the upsides for sure.

But they have to cope with a lot too. And then there is all the jiggling they have to do with no money, and telling patients they aren't allowed to give them the medicines they want.

And thinking fast on their feet knowing that the prescription just shoved under their nose because it is "urgent",could just have been written wrong and might just kill someone. All day.

Back