Average GP now works 3.5 days per week

Here's the statman.

Simply looking for clarity given the OP’s ideological bias and the Telegraph’s tendency to mislead.

I thought the NHS was at breaking point?

Government gives tax cuts to the rich, people moan, government taxes the rich more, people moan.

The NHS is considerably stretched, yes. You know this so I’m not sure what your glib comment is really about.

Out with it.

Simply looking for clarity given the OP’s ideological bias and the Telegraph’s tendency to mislead.

The NHS is considerably stretched, yes. You know this so I’m not sure what your glib comment is really about.

Out with it.

If you are only working your contracted hours you aren’t really stretched are you? I’d class that as doing the minimum.

If you are only working your contracted hours you aren’t really stretched are you? I’d class that as doing the minimum.

You must surely understand that the entire service isn’t stretched in every team in every part of NHS England right?

Do we really need to go over the non-clinical roles in the NHS?

Whilst we’re at it, how many hours per week are GPs contracted to work? The law limits them to 48, but since you’re confide

Here’s a little piece of information the Telegraph published but pushed right to the bottom of the article, which of course I had to sign up to read:

“The figures show the average number of hours worked by GPs has fallen slightly from 42.1 hours in 2008 to 41.8 hours now.”

You must surely understand that the entire service isn’t stretched in every team in every part of NHS England right?

Here’s a little piece of information the Telegraph published but pushed right to the bottom of the article, which of course I had to sign up to read:

“The figures show the average average number of hours worked by GPs has fallen slightly from 42.1 hours in 2008 to 41.8 hours now.”

So it’s like I’ve been saying for years, the NHS isn’t at breaking point, A&E is a bit stretched.

Why do a lot of the NHS staff go on like absolute Fanny’s then?

Doctors waiting rooms in the North east have never been emptier.
tell that to my surgery. I cant get an appointment. I got a letter from my gp to make an non urgent appointment re xray results. called in, nearest appointment was 6 weeks (not being selective with days or times).

That was a telephone consultation.

case of you've got severe arthritis in knee. no gap at all. basically you need a new knee. thanks im up for that, ive said that for years. right I will refer you.

he then referred me, but did not tell me my password or to contact anybody. got a letter from referral service 4 weeks later. Not heard from you. will cancel your referral if don't hear in 4 weeks.

went online nothing available until my holidays so had to book after that.

so off I go on Monday to see the surgeon

start of may started this, so nearly 4 months of which over 2 months delayed by cock ups and waiting tine to see gp

considering this problem started with my knee over 25 years ago, I am not amused

So it’s like I’ve been saying for years, the NHS isn’t at breaking point, A&E is a bit stretched.

I see. We’re playing the @Pop is a smart arse game. Look at me! I said the NHS isn’t at breaking point.

Just because your missus works in the NHS doesn’t mean you know how the organisation functions as a whole, you know.

Whilst we’re at it, how many hours per week are GPs contracted to work? The law limits them to 48, but since you’re confide

“The figures show the average number of hours worked by GPs has fallen slightly from 42.1 hours in 2008 to 41.8 hours now.”

To be honest Frijj, I don't trust the media anymore. They are so selective on what the write and will deliberately small print or just not print all a balancing fact. The only time I buy a newspaper is when im on holiday and tend to read it back to front. The headlines are sensationalising but when you read the article it has nothing to do with the headline

Do you work in the NHS or know anyone who does?
It is massively stretched across the board

I see. We’re playing the @Pop is a smart arse game. Look at me! I said the NHS isn’t at breaking point.

Just because your missus works in the NHS doesn’t mean you know how the organisation functions as a whole, you know.

Everyone I know who works for the NHS says it is a bit of a doss.

Wife, brother, mother in law and brother in law.

I presume they are all lying?

Do you work in the NHS or know anyone who does?
It is massively stretched across the board

See above.

Wife worked much harder/longer hours in community pharmacy.

Brother worked at Kings in London, said loads were taking the piss.

Yeah people should keep their mouths shut when there aren't enough GPs in their area.

So you want to give tax breaks to the wealthy?

Last edited:

See above.

Wife worked much harder in community pharmacy.

A bit of a doss? They're in the wrong job.
GPs have around 8-12 minutes per consultation IIRC.
In that time they have to diagnose as best they can and refer or prescribe something.
And they have to be right.
Every time.

That's more than enough pressure for anyone

See above.

Wife worked much harder/longer hours in community pharmacy.

Brother worked at Kings in London, said loads were taking the piss.

Are they lying? Probably not. Are you? Probably.

Half of their work is clerical as most are now fundholders as its their business ...probably the trainees and bank GPS tend to work extra hours

A bit of a doss? They're in the wrong job.
GPs have around 8-12 minutes per consultation IIRC.
In that time they have to diagnose as best they can and refer or prescribe something.
And they have to be right.
Every time.

That's more than enough pressure for anyone

Aye man but they only work 3.5hrs a week. Pop obviously works harder from his office job earning a fraction of what a GP gets (like most people)

He isn’t bitter though. He could have been a doctor if he’d got the A-Levels and spent 5 years at med school, 2 years in foundation training and 3 in specialty training.

Aye man but they only work 3.5hrs a week. Pop obviously works harder from his office job earning a fraction of what a GP gets (like most people)

He isn’t bitter though. He could have been a doctor if he’d got the A-Levels and spent 5 years at med school, 2 years in foundation training and 3 in specialty training.

Obviously. And I bet he didn't train for all those years and worked in a hospital and so on...

Are they lying? Probably not. Are you? Probably.

What would I gain by lying?

I’m not bitter, I just don’t buy into the public sector rhetoric.

Back