Average GP now works 3.5 days per week

Sure I saw something about the average GP will have made the maximum pension contributions by age 52 so a lot of them will stop working as GP’s when they hit that.

Thought GPs worked crazy hours with all the paper work etc.....
They will work more hours than they get paid for but the silly hours stopped when their contracts changed a few years ago. They at one time did out of hours then a normal surgery but not now. Out of hours is done by another provider in most areas.

Thought GPs worked crazy hours with all the paper work etc.....

Well we can’t see the full article or the findings of whatever survey or research was carried out for this.

I know from my own personal experience that GPs do work outside of their consultation room, e.g. they attend meetings and the like.

So does this article say they work 0.7FTE or are they doing other work the other 1.5 days?

Does this include paperwork? Home visits? Training days?

Both the OP and the Telegraph have a reputation for being disingenuous so it’ll be interesting to see the full article.

Last edited:
Sure I saw something about the average GP will have made the maximum pension contributions by age 52 so a lot of them will stop working as GP’s when they hit that.

Was a direct result of the pension changes Osborne made. Hundreds of experienced GPs retired practically overnight as there was so little incentive for them to continue working.

Was a direct result of the pension changes Osborne made. Hundreds of experienced GPs retired practically overnight as there was so little incentive for them to continue working.
Aye that was it. Bet most will just do private work when they hit that point.

I’m sure of plenty GPs do.

£70k is what, agenda for change band 8 so I’m sure there’s NHS managers who work only their contracted and are on about that.

I thought the NHS was at breaking point?

Government gives tax cuts to the rich, people moan, government taxes the rich more, people moan.

Back