Average Cost of Living

I'm on 15k a year with a family, as a mere Teaching assistant. A job i love. I took a pay cut from one of nissans suppliers a few year back, a young mans game, and after years, couldnt hack the shifts.
Ive found the budget side of it pretty easy, be organised, don't spend on gear you dont need.
The money people spend on there phone bill these days i find astounding.
You can have a decent standard of living on a relatively low wage, as has been said.
Too many greedy bollocks in this world today.
Each to there own.

Last edited:

The wages are a lot less in the north east though so i evens out.
exactly it's fucked and gives no breathing room for the working class. *****. the only option is debt if you want to have a nice Christmas. in the meantime....if you're from war-time sudan hell! come on in and have 50 kids. That's England for the last 50 years. I should point out at this point, I have said previously, I don't give A SHIT WHO i OFFEND. The white trash from the Us and UK are the only ones reproducing. the middle class are having one or two kids maximum whilst the f***ing benefit sucking dumb are pumping out 4 or 5. Again.. I don't give a shit who I offend.

The NE is guilty of this phenomenon, filthy chavs having kids, what could possibly be worse than that...and they will represent the white people of the future?...the other exterme is the london lot. wankers who have always been privilidged and groomed for perliment. They're bright yes, with academic studies but my god, thick as fuck in other ways. Sorry i'm not writing this very well.

To sum up. No amount of England winning a football compettion is going to paper over the cracks that the UK is not what it was after WW2...Being English is wrong, it's racial and offensive to anyone else who isn't English. I live in China,
I can vouch for how deep the propoganda goes. If you're Chinese, you're better than the English, the yanks etc, I assume most countries are promoting this utter BS manipulative shite.

er..okay signing off. match in 2 hours

As parents get older they become more like teenagers. Can't tell them anything.
Yeah. She thought you couldn't call land lines from mobile. Then when I told her she said I like my house phone, I can't hear the mobile ring. I said keep it for incoming calls - nope she likes it.

exactly it's fucked and gives no breathing room for the working class. *****. the only option is debt if you want to have a nice Christmas. in the meantime....if you're from war-time sudan hell! come on in and have 50 kids. That's England for the last 50 years. I should point out at this point, I have said previously, I don't give A SHIT WHO i OFFEND. The white trash from the Us and UK are the only ones reproducing. the middle class are having one or two kids maximum whilst the f***ing benefit sucking dumb are pumping out 4 or 5. Again.. I don't give a shit who I offend.

The NE is guilty of this phenomenon, filthy chavs having kids, what could possibly be worse than that...and they will represent the white people of the future?...the other exterme is the london lot. wankers who have always been privilidged and groomed for perliment. They're bright yes, with academic studies but my god, thick as fuck in other ways. Sorry i'm not writing this very well.

To sum up. No amount of England winning a football compettion is going to paper over the cracks that the UK is not what it was after WW2...Being English is wrong, it's racial and offensive to anyone else who isn't English. I live in China,
I can vouch for how deep the propoganda goes. If you're Chinese, you're better than the English, the yanks etc, I assume most countries are promoting this utter BS manipulative shite.

who are you on GB News😎

Massively skewed by London & SE I reckon. Before my misses moved in with me (5 years back) she was £400 a month for a 3 bed semi in one of the better parts of the area.

A few months back we noticed same house was back up for rent for £450 (with new kitchen & bathroom)
Average rental price excluding London is just under £900 pcm IIrC
The moon for that price. Sheeeesh.
It’s not that bad. My rent is £2k a month

Last edited:

🤣🤣🤣

Average are that - averages. Starting out at around £24k is good as that's a good step up from minimum wage who will be getting priced out of being able to live in above average areas despite having to work around there. Before I moved in with my now wife she was doing her year of teaching to finish the course in Inverness in a very central 2 bedroom flat with another person doing the course. Move over to Aberdeen into a still central but not as central flat, but much smaller and one bedroom flat for £150pm more in rent.

Think rental prices have fluctuated around £200pm over the years we've live here. We moved when it was a high time.

Arguably the cost of living is too high. But we a far more consumerists society with pressure to follow suit so not as sensible with money.

:lol:

I'm on 15k a year with a family, as a mere Teaching assistant. A job i love. I took a pay cut from one of nissans suppliers a few year back, a young mans game, and after years, couldnt hack the shifts.
Ive found the budget side of it pretty easy, be organised, don't spend on gear you dont need.
The money people spend on there phone bill these days i find astounding.
You can have a decent standard of living on a relatively low wage, as has been said.
Too many greedy bollocks in this world today.
Each to there own.
15k a year with a family. You are budgeting well if that is your overall family income. If your partner is grafting anywhere near full time then I'd expect you to be reasonablly comfortable

Via some lass in recruitment on LinkedIn here's a bunch of stats - I note she didn't provide evidence but there you go.
Assuming she's right - or vaguely right, what do we think about this lot?

The average graduate starting salary in the U.K. is £24,217, broadly speaking.
After tax, this leaves the average graduate with a take home pay of £1,614 each month.

🏡The average UK rental cost is £997 per month.

⚡️The average UK gas and electric bill is £94.35 per month.

👩‍💻Broadband is on average £27.39 per month

🗂Average council tax is £158.16.

💧Water is going to cost you an average of £33.05 each month.

☎️An average monthly phone bill is £45.60.

My first salary when I left Uni in 2006 was £18,500. I appreciate I don't do what I do for the money, but I'm not on a massive amount more than what graduates are on it seems! Bugger. Wrong career!
Average rental at £997?! If bet if you took London out of that it would drop. That might be average rental per flat, but it can't be per person, Shirley?

Average phone bill - £45.60 - Change. Your. Tariff. If your broadband at home is £28 and you're paying that much for your mobile, you might as well sack off the broadband and up your phone data.
Crackers...

So, what do we make of those figures? About right or are you being fiscally fisted for more?

Are those figures right for council tax?? I’m paying more than average? What the fuck for? £159 quid a month, the robbing bastards.

County Durham, B band - apparently. Seems mental that that is more than average
Northeast council taxes are pretty high.
Sorry for the chronicle article but this explains it a bit. We pay more to keep it low down south.

Last edited:

Durham is high mind.
Sunderland is a lot cheaper (£115 for B)

Also don't fall into the 10/12 month trap.
As many still pay over 10 months so their 'monthly payments are a bit higher but same over the year.
Northeast council taxes are pretty high.

Sorry for the chronicle article but this explains it a bit. We pay more to keep it low down south.

The problem is the way it's calculated.
If you ignore the bands & just take the average tax rate, the NE isn't that bad (sunderland & S Tyneside are some of the lowest in the country)

But because the vast majority of the housing stock are the bottom 2 bands the standardised band D comes out higher than an areas with higher banded housing stock.

So what happens is you get Tories saying Labour councils charge too much (using band D rate)
And Labour saying Labour councils have lower council taxes (using averages)

Last edited:
I think the actual point of her post was that too many employers are advertising jobs with "competitive" salaries and then not stating the actual amount. What's competitive for someone may not be for someone else.

Recently I looked for a new job and found this all over the place, probably 1 in 30 jobs actually stating a salary or salary range.

As far as the figures go, they probably match what I paid when I first moved out of my parents after uni, albeit the bills were split with my flatmate.

Back