Average Cost of Living

4G or 5G would do wouldn't it?
I suspect 5g with the data required to run a house would cost more than the average phone bill tbh.

For me this whole thing doesn't pass the reality sniff test tbh. Ultimately it's saying that a recent graduate earns £xx, therefore can not afford average living costs. But that seems reasonable to me, I'd expect the average graduate salary to be less than the median salary. Why would someone expect to earn a median salary when they have a bit of paper that says they have an academic qualification but have limited experience outside of that?

I suspect 5g with the data required to run a house would cost more than the average phone bill tbh.

For me this whole thing doesn't pass the reality sniff test tbh. Ultimately it's saying that a recent graduate earns £xx, therefore can not afford average living costs. But that seems reasonable to me, I'd expect the average graduate salary to be less than the median salary. Why would someone expect to earn a median salary when they have a bit of paper that says they have an academic qualification but have limited experience outside of that?

Exactly. Unless it's a qualification which directly relates to the job, but even then, you're paid for experience as much as anything else

Exactly. Unless it's a qualification which directly relates to the job, but even then, you're paid for experience as much as anything else
I'd imagine some graduates in some fields can earn the median off the bat. I'm thinking things like finance or legal professions, these are paths than can be very lucrative long term though.

Doesn't alter what will be an average for most
when im in the mood i pester BT and sky etc for better deals and generally get nowhere .Most people are busy and happy to pay the going rate within reason

Honestly no idea what you're on about ,see above answer
i take it you me to pggyback my phone onto the telly etc ?,cant be bothered
we're talking averages of what people pay . I'm happy using my phone on the Go but my home life doesn't revolve around it and its features

True, but then it's disingenuous to call it the 'cost of living' if the average person is paying more than they need to/should do

Via some lass in recruitment on LinkedIn here's a bunch of stats - I note she didn't provide evidence but there you go.
Assuming she's right - or vaguely right, what do we think about this lot?

The average graduate starting salary in the U.K. is £24,217, broadly speaking.
After tax, this leaves the average graduate with a take home pay of £1,614 each month.

🏡The average UK rental cost is £997 per month.

⚡️The average UK gas and electric bill is £94.35 per month.

👩‍💻Broadband is on average £27.39 per month

🗂Average council tax is £158.16.

💧Water is going to cost you an average of £33.05 each month.

☎️An average monthly phone bill is £45.60.

My first salary when I left Uni in 2006 was £18,500. I appreciate I don't do what I do for the money, but I'm not on a massive amount more than what graduates are on it seems! Bugger. Wrong career!
Average rental at £997?! If bet if you took London out of that it would drop. That might be average rental per flat, but it can't be per person, Shirley?

Average phone bill - £45.60 - Change. Your. Tariff. If your broadband at home is £28 and you're paying that much for your mobile, you might as well sack off the broadband and up your phone data.
Crackers...

So, what do we make of those figures? About right or are you being fiscally fisted for more?

1 bedroom flat for rent in Pompey is about £700 p/m, and that's in the less desirable areas. £500p/m for a bedroom in a house share.

As some people have touched on, this isn't really a valid comparison. It depends on loads of hidden factors such as what they've graduated in, whether they then have to move for the type of work they move into, and plenty of other factors. I would guess that if someone graduates in a non-vocational subject and picks up a job paying 20k p.a. outside the SE and London they would be comfortable enough, especially if it was a job with the likelihood of increments / promotions, etc.

True, but then it's disingenuous to call it the 'cost of living' if the average person is paying more than they need to/should do
Eh? maybe if they were claiming financial help you could pick it apart but if i'm busy living or working say 50% more hours than you don't get time to get all the deals on everything ,its still my cost of living .

No one will be paying a grand for rent unless they live alone or are rich.

This is why you have to be careful with average figure. The average 24 year old graduate won't be living in an averaged price house to rent. They will typically be house-sharing or in small flats at the bottom of the housing market.

Massively skewed by London & SE I reckon. Before my misses moved in with me (5 years back) she was £400 a month for a 3 bed semi in one of the better parts of the area.

A few months back we noticed same house was back up for rent for £450 (with new kitchen & bathroom)
The most I paid on my own was £650 for a 2 bed “penthouse” apartment in Tweedmouth.

Back