Autistic lad leaves a bomb on a train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably acutely aware that their son had an obsession with guns and weapons. And hoping it was only that.

So bad parents then. If he was so vunerable as you are making out, some poor decisions were made in his upbringing, such as his internet access and University choices.

Its always easier to blame someone else than look closer to home.

But it wasnt collecting coins it nearly killed civillian people.

If social media and the war on terror lead him down that path, where were the parents?
At home I think. Wasn't he stopping with a relative whilst attending college?

I feel kinda sorry for the kid, I know how they obsess but as said - that can't excuse this behaviour. The sentence is long but he's serving time in a young offenders institution which I expect will protect him from the worst of the prison system.

Put down your pitch forks and burning torches. Autism isn't the next terrorist tbreat to the country!!

What's bugging me the most is the ignorance around Autism that is being shown. It's the way "invisible" disabilities are horseshite compared to ones that can be seen or diagnosed in a lab.
I never once said he was a terrorist. He was however someone who the courts thought was aware of what he did.

It's quite offensive that you think someone "may not be as autistic as being made out"

For anyone who has been through the process of getting a diagnosis for their child they will tell you it can take years. It isn't just after one visit from a health worker.

I'll say it again. IT IS WRONG AND HE SHOULD BE LOCKED UP.

But people coming out with shite like there is on this thread is just wrong.

Autism doesn't "make" people build bombs. But his condition coupled with shitty social media and societies obsession with the war on terror led him down that path.

It could have easily been collecting coins.

I work with people who have PhD's and are clever as fuck. But struggle with conversation and social norms. Guess what, they are on the spectrum.

Since we are not allowed to be racist, homophobic and discriminate against physical disabilities, does that mean people with neurological problems are the new targets?
Needs to be locked up for a long time imho Marra

Just as anyone else would have been

I know people with autism fixate but that cannot be used as an excuse in a case like this, a lot of people could have died

There are some really thick people on this board, thank you for identifying yourselves.

He was also White and Non Muslim, so why use Autistic @lurker?
because that was the reason he only got 15 years

He'll immediately be sectioned and put into a high security mental health hospital, from there his security level will drop to low security so long as he behaves and is able to fixate on something more constructive, if he can't then he'll stay there for the rest of his life even after his sentence is complete because a mental health section like this will last until her majesty deems it appropriate to take it off.

People worry about terror laws being able to arrest and detain anyone but they don't seem to realise that if 2 drs say your mentally ill you can be sectioned and locked up forever anyway without ever having commited any crime or done anything.

I'm guessing it's because his autism wasn't/isn't that severe and is just being used as an excuse.
My first reaction was that the autism is a terrorist version of the drink drivers "someone must've spiked my drink"

Reactions: Pop
I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not here. If he's got mental heLth issues, we make allowances don't we?
Only if shrapnel from bombs left by mental health issue sufferers leaves less of a hole in victims bodies.

Good to see all the neuro developmental experts on here putting autism in the same bracket as crazy, mental, daft etc. Thanks you utterly backwards idiots.

For anyone with a child or family member with high functioning autism (me included) this scares the shit out of them.

Many people on the spectrum fixate and become obsessed about things. For some it's Lego, mine craft, or gaming. For others it's trains or cars. For this lad it was terrorists and bombs. I don't think he is inherently evil or a mental case. It's just his condition pre disposed him to go down this path.

What he did was abhorrent, no excuses and he is being dealt with by the law in the most appropriate way it allows.

I can't justify it. No one can but I can understand how it happened. His mother must be in bits.
Not wishing to be ower flippant here but a lot more people would've been in bits literally if the bomb had gone off. No matter what the reasons for the incident it's for his own good and everyone else's if he's not walking the streets again.

Last edited:
It wasn't a smoke bomb though was it.

And as someone has said, his only effects from his autism is lack of social interaction.

He knew what he was doing. Fortunately it didn't work.

He's been rightly detained for some time.
That is almost certainly nonsense. While no two autistic people are the same, it's very unlikely there won't be a whole host of things that each one struggles with, rather than just one.

That is almost certainly nonsense. While no two autistic people are the same, it's very unlikely there won't be a whole host of things that each one struggles with, rather than just one.

It just doesnt add up to poor lad with his autism though, he posed with a picture of ISIS members and consulted Al Aqueda bomb documents.

Seeing pictures of both of them, the Manchester bomber and the lad who left the device on the train look a bit 'special'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back