Austin Metro 40 years old

Alan Partridge : Right. Still, good news about the chocolate oranges.

Lynn Benfield : Now, Alan, you're going to have to trade down your Rover 800 for a smaller car.

Alan Partridge : Go on.

Lynn Benfield : I picked up these brochures for the new Metro. It's a lovely car. And if you do...

Alan Partridge : [Interrupting] Lynn, I'm not driving a Mini-Metro.

Lynn Benfield : But you do have to make substantial savings.

Alan Partridge : Lynn, I am not driving a Mini Metro.

Lynn Benfield : But if you do, you can keep Pear Tree Productions going with a skeleton staff of two, and...

Alan Partridge : There's no point finishing the sentence, Lynn, because I am not driving a Mini-Metro.

Lynn Benfield : But if you...

Alan Partridge : Lynn! I'll just speak over you.

[Lynn tries to speak]

Alan Partridge : No! Go on, try and finish the sentence and see what I do. Go on.

[They both talk together]

Lynn Benfield : With a skeleton staff of two...

Alan Partridge : I'm not driving a Mini-Metro, I'm not driving a Mini-Metro, I'm not driving a Mini-Metro.

Lynn Benfield : No, no, no, it's different. It's called a Rover Metro now.

Alan Partridge : They've rebadged it, you fool!

Lynn Benfield : Well, Alan, if you want a Rover 200 you're going to have to sack everyone at Pear Tree Productions.

Alan Partridge : Fine.

The one I owned had a pin that fell out of the part that connected the gearstick to the control rod that went to the gearbox. I sharp learned how to drive only using fourth gear until I got home.

I had one in the nineties. Got up one morning for work and someone had broken into it, smashed the steering lock then thought better of actually knicking it and left it.

My second and third cars I seem to remember...early 90’s

A D reg CITY X model in white and gained beautiful contrasting ginger wheel arches.

Upgraded to an C reg MG Turbo model, half red, half grey...was great for a couple of years and then it decided to disintegrate.

love hate relationship with the great piece of shit!

My first car, light blue metallic, late 80s/early 90s. Some have said the engines were robust - the engine in mine "broke" twice (had it replaced first time) and ended up selling the thing for 50 quid scrap. The folks had bought it off someone in Rowley hooked up to oxygen...suckers

My first car, maroon with cream and brown interior. Unbeknownst to me when I bought it, also about 90% rust.

Bought my wife a Metro City X , in maroon with cream interior in 1988 ...

She still hasn’t forgiven me .
The one I owned had a pin that fell out of the part that connected the gearstick to the control rod that went to the gearbox. I sharp learned how to drive only using fourth gear until I got home.

The leak from the gear change oil seal would have washed the pin out ...

Last edited:
Was that the car that had an advert on TV with the slogan "pass the torque wrench Bob"? Which Not The Nine o'clock News took the micky our of?

It was the Ambassador not the Metro.

Last edited:
My first wife had one. Never had any bother with it and it got us to lots of places around the UK. Mind, I know bot all about cars.

One of the worlds most outstanding shittiest cars

In an era when car manufacturers were continually trying to innovate with less car and more interior, the metro was king.

The British led the world in car design for decades but by the end of the 70s, atrocious labour relations and poor productivity had pretty much doomed the industry.

But it was a long slow death.

The West Midlands has not recovered from the closure of the major employer in the region and now have no 'industrial identity' or pride as a result.

Sound familiar?

In an era when car manufacturers were continually trying to innovate with less car and more interior, the metro was king.

The British led the world in car design for decades but by the end of the 70s, atrocious labour relations and poor productivity had pretty much doomed the industry.

But it was a long slow death.

The West Midlands has not recovered from the closure of the major employer in the region and now have no 'industrial identity' or pride as a result.

Sound familiar?
The documentary James May did on Allegro was very good. The original designs he was shown were stunning and would look good 45 years later, however design compromises, shit management, militant led workforce etc resulted in an absolute dog of a car that was a national embarrassment

Back