Austin Metro 40 years old

I had a metallic grey Rover Metro GTi and it was bloody great.... I drove it for about 3 years with no trouble then sold it to a friend and within a month the gearbox knacked and he scrapped it !!!
I had an MG Metro. Belted down to Bradford for the match when Stokoe came back, car didn't sound right. Got home and said to my Dad have a drive of the car see what you think, he drove about 1/2 mile and the gearbox blew up :D Got it all fixed then sold it to a mate and it rusted to death in about a year, not before letting us down one Saturday night trying to come back from Elland Road :D

It was as bad as the model it replaced, the Allegro.

I was knocking about with some bird who got a brand new F reg one. She piled it into the back of another car at a junction and wrote it off within a few days. It was found it had brake failure and she had a long battle with the dealership to get them to admit they'd sold her a deathtrap.

The engines were quite robust but as has been said the bodywork usually dissolved around them.
Engines were great. Same as the mini.
The turbo one could have been special but the bosses decided to limit the boost pressure to a measly 4 bar (or something thereaboouts) in case of any warranty issues. Could have handled double that.

Engines were great. Same as the mini.
The turbo one could have been special but the bosses decided to limit the boost pressure to a measly 4 bar (or something thereaboouts) in case of any warranty issues. Could have handled double that.
sorry psi not bar. That would have gone bang !

My Dad had, an Allegro (hearing aid colour), a Maestro, two Princesses and a Dolomite. The last one was OK, the others were garbage.

What British Leyland turned out was garbage. A real shame because with some enlightened management and a workforce who actually wanted to work some of their cars could have been fantastic. Triumph for example could have been a BMW competitor in a parallel universe

Home to some of the slowest drivers to have ever inhabited the planet. Being stuck behind these Sunday driving yawn masters was always a pain.

Now these bore fests drive old shape Nissan micras.

My Dad had, an Allegro (hearing aid colour), a Maestro, two Princesses and a Dolomite. The last one was OK, the others were garbage.

What British Leyland turned out was garbage. A real shame because with some enlightened management and a workforce who actually wanted to work some of their cars could have been fantastic. Triumph for example could have been a BMW competitor in a parallel universe

The multi brand under one umbrella was a nonsense. It was making 3 or 4 different models of a saloon car to compete with itself. Same for other types of cars.

We had one as our second car in the mid 90s. It was a cheap runaround in a proper OAP colour-scheme (I think it was like a metallic light blue with beige interior).

The multi brand under one umbrella was a nonsense. It was making 3 or 4 different models of a saloon car to compete with itself. Same for other types of cars.
A potent mixture of nationalisation, toothless management and unions who took the piss at every opportunity and were completely resistant to change.

Triumph had some great looking sports saloons and two seaters, would have been a world beater combined with Japanese management and working methods

Crashed into my Da's on my bike when I was about 10. Haring down the bank to our house in the rain on my Raleigh Burner, the brakes started slipping in the wet and I had the choice of either pulling out into the road where a car was coming or try to mount the kerb at about 30 miles an hour. :lol:
Neither was was particularly attractive to me and by the time I'd summed my options up the parked Austin Metro was bearing down on me so I just gripped the brakes as hard as I could, put my head down, wellied straight into the front of it and flipped onto the bonnet like a pancake. The handlebars were bent forwards flat against the bonnet where I'd refused to relinquish my grip as I flew over them and the front wheel was buried in the bumper to such an extent that it stayed upright and immobile when I rolled onto the pavement.

Back