Austin Metro 40 years old

In an era when car manufacturers were continually trying to innovate with less car and more interior, the metro was king.

The British led the world in car design for decades but by the end of the 70s, atrocious labour relations and poor productivity had pretty much doomed the industry.

But it was a long slow death.

The West Midlands has not recovered from the closure of the major employer in the region and now have no 'industrial identity' or pride as a result.

Sound familiar?

The Metro used virtually the same engine from the Mini / Austin 1100 from twenty year previously, innovation at its best ! , don’t make me laugh.

They were shite , no wonder the Japanese manufacturers were able to form a stronghold in Britain.

Target of choice for Hollycarrside joyriders in the late 90s. I was never a car thief but lads I knew were and they seemed shockingly easy to get into and start given how regularly there would be one flying around there with a 15 year old kappa tracksuited urchin at the helm.

Target of choice for Hollycarrside joyriders in the late 90s. I was never a car thief but lads I knew were and they seemed shockingly easy to get into and start given how regularly there would be one flying around there with a 15 year old kappa tracksuited urchin at the helm.

I got stranded at the metro centre once.....about 20 yr old, on a date with a proper lass, in me MG Turbo, thought I was the bollocks.

Got back to the car after being to the pictures, late at night and car park deserted....some scrote had got in, seen the imobiliser (was a touchy key connector thing on the dashboard) and then ripped it out to see if it was a real or dummy one, rendering the car imobilised!

Being f***ing useless, and it was about midnight, I had to call me old man out to the rescue. Nee leg ower for Thewper that night. :lol:

The documentary James May did on Allegro was very good. The original designs he was shown were stunning and would look good 45 years later, however design compromises, shit management, militant led workforce etc resulted in an absolute dog of a car that was a national embarrassment

Wasn't it more aerodynamic in reverse?
The Metro used virtually the same engine from the Mini / Austin 1100 from twenty year previously, innovation at its best ! , don’t make me laugh.

They were shite , no wonder the Japanese manufacturers were able to form a stronghold in Britain.

My statement is correct and it sounds like you need to read up a bit more on the UK car industry from 1945 up to present.

Stay behind after class and sharpen the rubbers.

The A series was hugely innovative in its day, but as usual the temptation to upgrade it a bit more, rather than develop a new engine was too much for the bean counters at British Leyland, so it was still in use long past its sell by date.

The marketing men in Leyland decided a turbo charged MG metro was required and the A series was to be used. Gawd knows what the poor power plant design manager thought but he had his brief

My mate had one, it was hilarious. The heat build up was such that you could lift the bonnet after a run and watch things melt. He only had it a week and the turbo blew.

Last edited:
Wasn't it more aerodynamic in reverse?

My statement is correct and it sounds like you need to read up a bit more on the UK car industry from 1945 up to present.

Stay behind after class and sharpen the rubbers.

The A series was hugely innovative in its day, but as usual the temptation to upgrade it a bit more, rather than develop a new engine was too much for the bean counters at British Leyland, so it was still in use long past its sell by date.

The marketing men in Leyland decided a turbo charged MG metro was required and the A series was to be used. Gawd knows what the poor power plant design manager thought but he had his brief

My mate had one, it was hilarious. The heat build up was such that you could lift the bonnet after a run and watch things melt. He only had it a week and the turbo blew.

I spent five years of my formative years fixing BL vehicles for a living , my statement about shite is correct, I could write a book about my experience on their products .

However I bow down to your superior knowledge.

I spent five years of my formative years fixing BL vehicles for a living , my statement about shite is correct, I could write a book about my experience on their products .

However I bow down to your superior knowledge.

You should bow too you peasant.

The huge cost of an over staffed militant labour force can affect a car company in many strange ways.

In the end they simply weren't fit for purpose

What year's were you working on them?

77-82

used to feel sorry for those who bought them new 😂

All cars were shite to some degree back then.

Me fatha had a Golf and the paint just came off. It also cut out after a mile every morning.

The Renault that me Ma had was never out of the garage.

The bloke up the road had a Toyota Corolla that looked really shit but never failed to start and also never broke down.

It's no wonder the Japanese walked in and took so much of the market.

Me fatha had a Golf and the paint just came off. It also cut out after a mile every morning.

The bloke up the road had a Toyota Corolla that looked really shit but never failed to start and also never broke down.

see the last sentence on #61

see the last sentence on #61

True dat. However they were downright dangerous in the wet.

Every Toyota I owned was like an afternoon on the skid pan when it rained.

The Metro suspension was a work of genius and was so far ahead of Toyota at the time it was unreal.

my first motor was an 82 toyota corolla lift back thing and it was fucked. Bought it for £150 off my mams mate but the bloody thing was indestructible. Me dads cars from around the same period ,78 to early 80`s,he had when they were nearly new where shite. Even Leylands later efforts Montego`s Maestros etc were crap compared to Nissan Bluebirds etc

Which was initially used in the Austin 1100 in the early 60’s and updated for the Allegro and later on the Metro.

# 64 , Hugely innovative 😂

Are you reading this post in a time machine, keep up FFS.

Read up on contemporary engine design and you will see just how innovative it was.

The design was so far ahead of its time, with future proofing that permitted development and production into the present century.

It was licensed around the world and ironically used as a base for those which later sounded the death knell for the once dominant UK motor industry.
my first motor was an 82 toyota corolla lift back thing and it was fucked. Bought it for £150 off my mams mate but the bloody thing was indestructible. Me dads cars from around the same period ,78 to early 80`s,he had when they were nearly new where shite. Even Leylands later efforts Montego`s Maestros etc were crap compared to Nissan Bluebirds etc

By the 1980s the ship was sinking.

The production management were under such pressure to meet targets that they'd ship anything, resulting in occasional quality lapses of biblical proportions.

The design was fundamentally sound but cost cutting and penny pinching allied to the aforementioned issues led to, e.g. Montego's with chocolate wheel bearings, and other farcical cock ups.

Last edited:
Hydrogas/hydrolastic may have seemed old hat, but the quality shone through. If only they were screwed together better.

The hydrolastic suspension on mine used to squeak like fuck. Was my first car after I passed my test in 1989 - Y reg 1983 Metro from New Durham motors in Gilesgate. Went all over in it, including Torquay and back 2 years running. It never missed a beat - I had the Haynes manual for reference and used to pull the car to bits and put it back together again most weekends just to find out how it worked!

Back