August SMB Photography Competition - Bygone Times - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't think I would enter this month as I am on holiday in Turkey but I came across this old Turkish house today and I had my trusty 12 year old Canon Ixus with me so thought what the hell. I can't see the photo properly either as I am on a tiny mini book with a 7 inch screen. It's obviously straight out of the camera, forgot to add c&c is welcome.

Can't see the entry John.

Waiting for final day entries on this month's thread is a bit like watching the transfer window count down and seeing who turns up at Newcastle airport :lol:

Waiting for final day entries on this month's thread is a bit like watching the transfer window count down and seeing who turns up at Newcastle airport :lol:
Well! I still have 132 photos that could be considered for this months comp, unfortunately I took them all on July 31st.:-(

Well! I still have 132 photos that could be considered for this months comp, unfortunately I took them all on July 31st.:-(

Aw, shame. Why don't you pick your favourite ones and put them on this thread: even if they're not eligible for the vote we can all take a look and give you some feedback?

i have decided to enter my attempt :oops: but feel like i am a right copycat now that janie has put her entry in :lol: cos it is kind of along a similar thought process.

anyway, this is my first attempt at anything that isn't someone smiling on holiday or drunk on a night out so i hope i haven't made a mockery of the competition by being rubbish!

i gave it a go which is all i can do. be nice, but be honest, i won't be offended and will take it all on the chin and try and get better

i have decided to enter my attempt :oops: but feel like i am a right copycat now that janie has put her entry in :lol: cos it is kind of along a similar thought process.

anyway, this is my first attempt at anything that isn't someone smiling on holiday or drunk on a night out so i hope i haven't made a mockery of the competition by being rubbish!

i gave it a go which is all i can do. be nice, but be honest, i won't be offended and will take it all on the chin and try and get better

Haway lass, stick it in and don't be shy as the actress said to the bishop. I felt very nervous before doing my first one back in Feb, but it's great fun and you'll learn lots from it.

I think it's a cracking photograph.

So do I! Nice one.

Some good 'uns there, takes me right back. Not been to Beamish for years.

thanks janie. i ummed and awwed as to whether to do it after seeing yours, but my only other idea had been taken too (pit wheels) and just hoped you wouldn't mind, great minds and all that :-D

thanks janie. i ummed and awwed as to whether to do it after seeing yours, but my only other idea had been taken too (pit wheels) and just hoped you wouldn't mind, great minds and all that :-D

Not at all, the more the merrier. It's in fact interesting to see someone take the same starting point, but end up with a different photo. I like your assemblage of objects associated with the Final; mine was trying to do something different because I liked the incongruity between the B&W shots of Monty's save on the wall and the people below obliviously serving pints. That's the joy of this competition - seeing how people do different things.

Not at all, the more the merrier. It's in fact interesting to see someone take the same starting point, but end up with a different photo. I like your assemblage of objects associated with the Final; mine was trying to do something different because I liked the incongruity between the B&W shots of Monty's save on the wall and the people below obliviously serving pints. That's the joy of this competition - seeing how people do different things.

i really like that about your picture, the fact one of them is scratching their head makes it all the better, it's like you say, oblivious.

you are right about different people's views on the one subject being so interesting. i have really enjoyed watching the competition for these last few month and seeing everyones take on the meaning. i have had an idea every single month, sometimes, like this month it was similar to someone elses and other times it was totally unique. i am glad i finally entered :)

A slightly personal entry for me this month which might take a bit of explaining.

That lake is at the end of my street and the view just makes me think of the traditional, rural England that I can remember from my childhood (on the rare occasions I got to leave Sunderland!).

Although it is neither old or in England it is a comforting spot that I like to go to and think of bygone times back home in blighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back