August Challenge - Still Life - Voting

August winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that when you crop all 3 items you end up without a focal point, so it becomes a problem as every picture should have a focal point. If you have 3 items, all ...
Thanks for the critique. I am listening and learning (well trying to). I don't think this is the best month for photos but probably the best month for critiques and learning.

Thanks for the critique. I am listening and learning (well trying to). I don't think this is the best month for photos but probably the best month for critiques and learning.

No problem and thanks for yours :)

Yeah critique has definatly been good this month and it's a great way to learn and see things through a different pair of eyes

My votes went to Ajax Andy - & My left foot, both for composition / lighting and effort in meeting the theme 'the still life photographer makes pictures rather than takes them'

Quite a few of the other entries missed the theme altogether imo

My votes went to Ajax Andy - & My left foot, both for composition / lighting and effort in meeting the theme 'the still life photographer makes pictures rather than takes them'

Thanks mate :)

The Great Soprendo was my favourite, nice gritty, original shot.

Also voted for Ayesane, oRosso and My Left Foot.

BiffaBeerCan and Ajax Andy were also very well composed but didn't get my vote as I felt they were too clichéd.

While i tend to agree with the sentiment i still think it's ok to think outside the box now and then, a set of objects , however well shot and lit just has a contrived look that doesn't get me that excited tbh, i still voted for shots that i thought fitted the theme best but am still appreciative of the efforts that are a bit more left-field, still welcome the comments (on all shots not just mine) and the one thing i take into each challenge is to do something that might be different to the rest, and it's great to see others efforts on the same theme, it's a great learning curve though all the same!

Here's my votes/comments. Welcome to the new entrants - please take my comments in good humour. :)

(Though my humour is failing because I was typing my critique, then got booted by rtg! grr).

2310 - I was going to enter coca cola glasses and you enter this! Like the colours but the shallow depth of field lets it down.

hellsbells - like the photo but doesn't meet theme imo

tomtommacute - good play on words but otherwise it's a no :)

minkeysteve - I reckon this photo was harder to take than it looks. Just misses out on a vote because it looks a bit awkward.

superniall - this isn't a still life imo (unless a clever play on words), it's just a photo of something. It is so obviously colour altered it almost works (?).

ajax andy - Too corny for me. The flower on the left is too big and out of focus. The rings and the daisy (whatever flower) and a plain background could possibly have worked?

biffabeercan - this nearly gets a vote, but the out of focus fishing rod spoils it. Not sure why the dictionaries but maybe they do contribute to an old/dusty/fading thought/image. Would have worked a bit more on repositioning the flies and case and lightfall.

To be ctd

robcal Not your best entry rob! The detail of the mussels isn't clear and the cropping and framing to the top and right of the picture is poor :)

Tired Eyes - a play on words but you didn't really expect any votes for this entry did you?

Tired Eyes - a play on words but you didn't really expect any votes for this entry did you?

UAEexile - love the photograph, very clever play on words but as I'm trying to use the same criteria to vote I'm not going to vote for it. I really like your entry though.

Mine - think it meets theme fine, but other than that I'm not greatly impressed (colours are quite pretty). Thanks for votes/comments/critiques etc :)

orosso - meets theme and well taken VOTE. (would have liked to see a couple of other items with it but that is just me).

KidGalahad - don't like this photograph at all. Dubious play on words, not a still-life. Your eyes are led to the top part of the photograph because of the light. This photograph is all that is wrong with photography (imho). The pink flowers look horrible in the white grey black photo and there is some stray pink on the left hand grave. Sorry to sound harsh KG, it is about the photograph and nothing else.

The Great Soprend0 - Love the colours but not a still life imo. You took the photo as you found the items iirc, still-life is about setting up a picture (isn't it?)

Malmomackem - a modern still-life - like it. (would like to be able to do the same). VOTE

Last edited:
Ayesane - not my favourite photo of the month but I think it is the best entry for the theme (just one niggle - the cut apple on the left is upside down:-( ) VOTE

Myleftfoot I like the idea of this and the lighting but it just misses on a vote because the sharp area of focus isn't in the right place (hope I've got my terms right). Looks like you will win though so well done :)

Amnorrageordie - like the idea but the composition lets it down, and would colour have worked better?

UAEexile - love the photograph, very clever play on words but as I'm trying to use the same criteria to vote I'm not going to vote for it. I really like your entry though.

Not even worthy of having my name in bold like everyone else :cry::cry:

Wey I posed mine. So maybe I hit the theme more than I thought :)

Not even worthy of having my name in bold like everyone else :cry::cry:
Sorry! :lol:

RTG kept booting me last night, I typed some critique then when I went to press submit I was logged out and my typing was lost, so in the end I entered poster by poster as it tags on the end of the previous entry but you can't edit, so you will be forever unbold. (And Tired Eyes got a double entry).

Sorry! :lol:

RTG kept booting me last night, I typed some critique then when I went to press submit I was logged out and my typing was lost, so in the end I entered poster by poster as it tags on the end of the previous entry but you can't edit, so you will be forever unbold. (And Tired Eyes got a double entry).

He likes that, yes

robcal Not your best entry rob! The detail of the mussels isn't clear and the cropping and framing to the top and right of the picture is poor :)

Never mind, I knew when I downloaded them that they weren't what I had intended. Just annoyed that I spent about an hour recreating the rockpools (and ate oysters) for the sake of a photo, only to blow it by now spending enough time on the actual shot. Ah well, next month beckons...

Never mind, I knew when I downloaded them that they weren't what I had intended. Just annoyed that I spent about an hour recreating the rockpools (and ate oysters) for the sake of a photo, only to blow it by now spending enough time on the actual shot. Ah well, next month beckons...

that's actually a pretty decent idea that Rob, TBH I couldn't quite work it out.. It makes sense now you point it out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back