Audio dramas on BBC Sounds

Anyone else like to listen to these?

Been getting into one called The Cipher recently, very sci fi and a bit far fetched but enjoyable. There's a good one from a while back called Red Moon set during the Cold War, and they also have some good dramatisations of stuff like The Scarlet Pimpernel, Ian Fleming and John Wyndham novels

Been getting into one called The Cipher recently, very sci fi and a bit far fetched but enjoyable. There's a good one from a while back called Red Moon set during the Cold War, and they also have some good dramatisations of stuff like The Scarlet Pimpernel, Ian Fleming and John Wyndham novels

Yes, though with reservations sometimes. There's some great stuff (and things I've listened to below), but I do get a bit frustrated sometimes that they can sound very BBC radio drama - I know - that little bit stageschool, little bit recorded play feel.

You might have listened to some of these already, but on the basis that you might not. Very much slanted to my tastes which tend to run to weird/spooky stuff which can work incredibly well in audio.

The three series of the Lovecraft adaptations (modern day, loosely hang around the originals, include a ton of other weirdness and conspiracy stuff) are terrific. Think they maybe overreach in the last one by trying to pack too much in, but well worth a listen. Much higher production values than pretty much any podcast audio drama I've heard, and very naturalistic, don't have that old fashioned BBC feel. The writer, Julian Simpson, has also put his other BBC radio stuff up to listen to, and worth a listen - try Bad Memories.

Tracks - dark sf-ish conspiracy thriller. First season was excellent, got a bit lost off in the second because of other things going on and haven't picked it up yet. First time the Beeb did an audio drama 'box set' - high concept, released all episodes at once, downloadable as podcast/mp3 not just on BBC (and don't get me started on the BBC Sounds app).

Children of the Stones - audio adaptation of the 70s children's TV classic, with Reece Shearsmith. Dogshit. Suffers from all the BBC radio play stuff I mentioned.

Forest 404. SF in a post-cataclysmic dystopian earth. Bit contrived but a good effort, and great sound. Written by a bloke called Timothy X Atack who has done some really interesting stuff. The Stroma Sessions in particular is great. 'Found footage' audio from a music group who start recording on a deserted island, and weird stuff happens.

The Piper. Meh. Trying a bit too hard and too radio-drama-y.

If any of that appeals, then have a lot of non-BBC podcast/audio drama stuff I can suggest too.

Really annoying thing about the BBC is they put out a lot of good stuff - with the licence fee we pay for - and then it disappears off iPlayer for years, and will pop up randomly again for a month or two but without any notice. I think it's rights issues, but I really hope they are issuing new contracts now because it's very 20th century.

Not the dramas but love the comedys

Start/stop
Lost Hancocks
In out of the kitchen
Sarah millicans support group
Count arthur
To name but a few

Always been a fan of the on demand BBC audio dramas/series. The iPlayer Radio app was always a bit hit or miss for finding things, but Sounds is f***ing atrocious.

Almost 3 years on and it’s still garbage.

Always been a fan of the on demand BBC audio dramas/series. The iPlayer Radio app was always a bit hit or miss for finding things, but Sounds is f***ing atrocious.

The 'search' on the BBC Sounds app is the worst search on any app I have. And there's just something annoying about the whole UI.

Any old stuff?
There was a brilliant version of the Faerie Queen in R4 years ago that I caught the beginning of quite by accident and loved. I've tried to find it over the years but the BBC shop is selective and the archives are not accessible.
Or is Sounds just new content?

Any old stuff?
There was a brilliant version of the Faerie Queen in R4 years ago that I caught the beginning of quite by accident and loved. I've tried to find it over the years but the BBC shop is selective and the archives are not accessible.
Or is Sounds just new content?

Mostly new I think, but it does seem to put all sorts on from time to time

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's the best app going

Last edited:
If you get the chance to listen to the comedy ‘The Governors Consort’ give it a go, I first heard it on radio 4extra. It was on Sounds a while ago but I can’t seem to find it now.

Lately from the BBC sounds I've been listening to episodes of Infinite Monkey Cage and desert Island discs, whilst working. Will bring some of the comedy offerings into the mix now also.

The 'search' on the BBC Sounds app is the worst search on any app I have. And there's just something annoying about the whole UI.
I believe the U stands for Unuserfriendly.

The only reason they persisted with Sounds must have been the amount they paid. There is absolutely no way that anyone other than the people who commissioned it can use it and think “this is good”.

Back