Audible

I think it's rather expensive. Try to see if appropriate audio books have been downloaded onto YouTube. I've had a few from there and if your dear old Mother likes Stephen Fry I can highly recommend his complete Sherlock Holmes which is on there. Benedict Cumberbatch also does some Ngaio Marsh which are available too.

Been a member for years and find it great. I walk a couple of miles to work (or I did till recently) and would put a book on during the walk. Last one I listened to was “Existentialism and Excess” about the life of Jean-Paul Sartre. Absolutely fantastic book.

Little tip. I cancel it every now and again and they always (or did with me) offer me a three month half price plan.

Been a member for years and find it great. I walk a couple of miles to work (or I did till recently) and would put a book on during the walk. Last one I listened to was “Existentialism and Excess” about the life of Jean-Paul Sartre. Absolutely fantastic book.

Little tip. I cancel it every now and again and they always (or did with me) offer me a three month half price plan.

Might give it ago, I found that the catalogue wasn't massive, didn't have all the books I want, and not sure if listening to a book takes away the enjoyment of reading too much, can you really get into a book just by audio?

What an absolute con this is

£7.99 a month just to use the app and £17.99 for some audio books

Imagine paying more than £40 to listen to two Harry Potter books :lol:

Ignorance is bliss eh.

Might give it ago, I found that the catalogue wasn't massive, didn't have all the books I want, and not sure if listening to a book takes away the enjoyment of reading too much, can you really get into a book just by audio?

I’ve got books in every format....real books, kindle books and audio books and enjoy all formats although the audiobooks are my favourite. Great when you’re out walking imo. A lot of the biographies are spoken by the subject themselves which I find adds to the experience. “A Journey” by Tony Blair and The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry are both narrated by those two. “Life” by Keith Richards is spoken by Johnny Depp.

Last edited:
Ignorance is bliss eh.

I’ve got books in every format....real books, kindle books and audio books and enjoy all formats although the audiobooks are my favourite. Great when you’re out walking imo. A lot of the biographies are spoken by the subject themselves which I find adds to the experience. “A Journey” by Tony Blair and The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry are both narrated by those two. “Life” by Keith Richards is spoken by Johnny Depp.

What is the Tony Blair one like? I am a big blairite, but is it actually revealing?

I find a lot depends on the narrator a bad one can ruin a good book.

What is the Tony Blair one like? I am a big blairite, but is it actually revealing?

He’s quite candid in the book about his own feelings and failings but doesn’t go into the main subject most associate with him....Iraq, very deeply. He didn’t employ a ghost writer so it can be a bit “all over the shop” on occasions but I enjoyed it anyway.

Someone made what I found to be a very good point on radio the other day - all literary traditions have their roots in the oral tradition. For most of our history we’ve listened to stories and narrative rather than read them. The obsession with only reading seems to be a relatively modern, and elitist idea.

I was reading this the other day and thought it might be a canny present for the wife as she enjoys an audio book when travelling to and from work. they were cds. I was thinking if I could audible to a cheapy mp3 player. don't want to leave a kindle etc in the car, but a small mp3 player would be ok. The mp3 player I have doesn't read the audio books right and the other mp3 players haven into that big black hole for mp3 players.
so, I am after advice as to a cheap mp3 player that is compatible with audible and audio books. Many thanks

Anybody here a member?

My dear old mother is in her late eighties and her mince pies are not what they once were. She's always been an avid reader but been struggling over this last year and has switched over to audio books (getting CD's out of the library).

Thought about setting her up with an old tablet and a subscription to Audible.

Can't get my head round it. It seems you pay them a monthly subsciption for the privelige of being able to buy books from them! :rolleyes:

Am I missing something obvious here? Why would you pay a monthly subsciption that allowed you to buy books at full price?

I use it and its excellent. £7.99 a month and you get one credit per month for that which buys you one book. Often the book you buy retails at 2 to 4 times as much as that. If you want more books than that you can buy an extra 3 in a month for £18 or just £6 each......I rarely get time to read but get through a book every week via audible as listen to them while cycling to work, while driving or while in bed going to sleep. Great service.

Thanks Frijj. Probably rules it out for what I was looking for.

You can buy via the website then the book will be delivered to her tablet or phone as it gives you the option to save to cloud when you order it. At her end she then just taps on the new title and it automatically downloads onto the tablet/phone so can be listened to offline.

100% you can, was listening to Bravo two zero recently and Painting the sand and they were tense as fuck.

Also there are some great deals on there for instance the entire Sherlock Holmes series read by Stephen Fry is just 1 credit and is 71 hours of listening. Should keep even the most avid listener going for weeks.

I was reading this the other day and thought it might be a canny present for the wife as she enjoys an audio book when travelling to and from work. they were cds. I was thinking if I could audible to a cheapy mp3 player. don't want to leave a kindle etc in the car, but a small mp3 player would be ok. The mp3 player I have doesn't read the audio books right and the other mp3 players haven into that big black hole for mp3 players.
so, I am after advice as to a cheap mp3 player that is compatible with audible and audio books. Many thanks

Download to the app on her phone the plug phone into car stereo?

Last edited:
its great when paired up with the kindle, as they pick up from the other left off so if I'm reading on the kindle and go out for a walk audible picks up where I finished on the kindle and then when I come home the kindle picks up where audible left off.

as others said it great when out walking, I'm also in the car for at least 45 minutes to and from work so it helps pass the time there too.

I use it and its excellent. £7.99 a month and you get one credit per month for that which buys you one book. Often the book you buy retails at 2 to 4 times as much as that. If you want more books than that you can buy an extra 3 in a month for £18 or just £6 each......I rarely get time to read but get through a book every week via audible as listen to them while cycling to work, while driving or while in bed going to sleep. Great service.

You can buy via the website then the book will be delivered to her tablet or phone as it gives you the option to save to cloud when you order it. At her end she then just taps on the new title and it automatically downloads onto the tablet/phone so can be listened to offline.

100% you can, was listening to Bravo two zero recently and Painting the sand and they were tense as fuck.

Also there are some great deals on there for instance the entire Sherlock Holmes series read by Stephen Fry is just 1 credit and is 71 hours of listening. Should keep even the most avid listener going for weeks.

Download to the app on her phone the plug phone into car stereo?

that seems by far the easier way.

I was hoping for something that could just be left in the car and connected via speaker out to device in on car. so it needs to as simple as possible. ive connected her phone to car system, so she doesn't even have to take her phone out the bag but she switches her phone off. cant win.

Anybody here a member?

My dear old mother is in her late eighties and her mince pies are not what they once were. She's always been an avid reader but been struggling over this last year and has switched over to audio books (getting CD's out of the library).

Thought about setting her up with an old tablet and a subscription to Audible.

Can't get my head round it. It seems you pay them a monthly subsciption for the privelige of being able to buy books from them! :rolleyes:

Am I missing something obvious here? Why would you pay a monthly subsciption that allowed you to buy books at full price?

It's really good actually. I get one free credit a month which is 7.99 and you can get audio books that are up to £25 with that.

Perfect for long drives/commuting/train journeys.

Kids have Harry Potter ones read by Stephen Fry, I've got mainly non fiction plus some George RR Martin.

Def worth it. Ive gifted quite a few audiobooks to people who said they liked them

We signed up for three month trial last week, wife has been wanting Noel Fitzpatrick’s Autobiography and we were able to use the free credit to get it and we listened to it last week while we were doing a four and a half hour drive from Durham to Cairnryan last week, certainly helped to make the drive go over quick listening to him.

Was a member when I had about a 45 minute commute for a few years.
Got through a load of books, never had to spend more than the subscription. When I was listening to a long book, your credits build up for when you are going through a few shorter ones.
Built up a huge library which you can access forever even after you cancel subscription.
Changed job so my journey to work is only 10 minutes now so Audible is not worth it. Kinda miss it.

I’ve signed up to the three month trial.

Just finished Magician by Raymond E Feist.

Started on Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds - narrated by Michael Sheen, Taron Egerton, Theo James, Adrian Edmondson and Anna-Marie Wayne. I’m surprised how good it is, mixes the book with Jeff Wayne’s score.

Back