Audible

Anybody here a member?

My dear old mother is in her late eighties and her mince pies are not what they once were. She's always been an avid reader but been struggling over this last year and has switched over to audio books (getting CD's out of the library).

Thought about setting her up with an old tablet and a subscription to Audible.

Can't get my head round it. It seems you pay them a monthly subsciption for the privelige of being able to buy books from them! :rolleyes:

Am I missing something obvious here? Why would you pay a monthly subsciption that allowed you to buy books at full price?

Anybody here a member?

My dear old mother is in her late eighties and her mince pies are not what they once were. She's always been an avid reader but been struggling over this last year and has switched over to audio books (getting CD's out of the library).

Thought about setting her up with an old tablet and a subscription to Audible.

Can't get my head round it. It seems you pay them a monthly subsciption for the privelige of being able to buy books from them! :rolleyes:

Am I missing something obvious here? Why would you pay a monthly subsciption that allowed you to buy books at full price?

you pay the sub which gives you one book token a month

You get 1 token each month which allows you to buy and download one book.

BUT... If you 'don't like' a book you can return it and get your token back to use on a different book. So effectively you can just keep downloading, listening to then returning books over and over again.

You do have to return them through the website though rather than the app

Don’t know if this helps but, once you have a subscription, you can play audible through an Amazon Echo/Dot. The missus has got it set up on ours and just asks for it to read to her while she does stuff like cooking. Might be a bit easier to use than a tablet.

Been a member for a couple of years.

Love it, couldn't do without it now, listen when driving.

As already stated your credit gets you one book per month.

That tends to be enough for me because I generally to listen to history books that's are more than 50 hours long, but some books are of course only a few hours.

I don't stick exclusively to longer books, though it can sometimes feel like a waste to use a credit on one that's only 10 hours long.

They occasionally have a sale on where you can stock up some spare credits, or books on special offer. Got Gibbon' s History of Rome for £1.99 and it's 80 hours long!

on a free three month trial there mate but going to cancel after I've used me third token. piece of piss to use straightforward to even the spenkiest of gimps imo there mate

I went through a phase of listening to loads while walking the dog and working and found it cheaper to buy three tokens for £18 rather than getting a subscription

What an absolute con this is

£7.99 a month just to use the app and £17.99 for some audio books

Imagine paying more than £40 to listen to two Harry Potter books :lol:

Back