Athens

Monty Pigeon

Striker
Heading there for a few weeks next weekend.

Any tips for cheap places to eat and things to see (other than the usual)? Will be renting an apartment in the Anarchist District (Exarcheia).

Loads of sex shops and graffiti
Piss poor Penshaw monument tribute anarl
Food much the same all over pricier near tourist places obvs

Book on a puddle jumper and visit the island of Skiathos. It takes 25 minutes. Stay in Skiathos Town. It’s a bustling cosmopolitan harbour and you will love it.

I liked the place but thought it was canny scruffy when we went. Generally I didn't find it all that expensive for food and drink though.

A couple of weeks down, a month to go.

You definitely have to have a feel for which areas to avoid. A couple of times we've taken wrong turns and found ourselves surrounded by junkies shooting up in the street. Last Sunday I was walking along a pavement and suddenly it was sticky underfoot - turned out a refugee had been shot by police in the early hours and I was walking through his blood and guts. And the graffiti is something else - in this area I don't think there's a building untouched.

But once you're used to the shabbiness of the place, it grows on you. A lot of people are enduring genuine hardship, but there's a real sense of community, and we've been welcomed. Have mostly enjoyed wandering around.

Just bracing now for a heatwave tomorrow (101F predicted), and then elections on Sunday (if it all kicks off afterwards, it'll start in our street - we're staying in the traditional epicentre for riots). Should be fun.

Back