Atari VCS

bennett83

Striker
I couldn't see any mention of Ataris new 'console' the Atari Vcs so I thought I'd give my 2 pence worth.

I've never heard of it until recently and it's not officially out yet, only to indigogo backers. It's getting a lot of stick online especially for the price @£300ish as it's basically a low end PC and at the moment it's just an emulator and streamer.

So why did I buy one from ebay then?

It was delivered today and I've set it up, got the retro joystick and have just used a wireless xbox one controller.
I think its more comparable to a Nuc pc and could possibly double up as a media streamer and game emulator/streamer replacing my nvidia shield.

You can install different OS on it like Windows and Linux.

The 8GB RAM is upgradeable with standard laptop RA so I'll be sticking 16GB in

It has m2 slot so I'll be fitting a ssd

Personally at this stage I think it will flop at least as a gaming console, it costs more than a xbox series s, hasn't got the power to run the latest games so for a lot of people it's alot of money for an emulator. Time will tell

Specs as follows

1.9 inches, 3 pounds
APU: AMD Raven Ridge 2
GPU: Radeon Vega
Storage: 32GB eMMC internal, unlimited external USB HD/stick, subscription-based cloud storage
RAM: 8GB DDR4 RAM - optionally expandable
Compatibility: Windows, Linux, Steam OS, Chrome OS
Wireless Connections: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4/5GHz, Bluetooth 4.0
Wired Connections: HDMI 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.1 (x4)
External inputs: Classic Joystick, Modern Controller, Microphone, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and more

its not a console, its a Ryzen APU in a posh box - so as you said a low end pc

£300 is'nt actually a bad price, but by the time you've sorted the ram and storage you're closer to £350-£400

and no real upgrade path either

will probably happily emulate everything upto about a ps2 no problems though - but then again, what cant

its not a console, its a Ryzen APU in a posh box - so as you said a low end pc

£300 is'nt actually a bad price, but by the time you've sorted the ram and storage you're closer to £350-£400

and no real upgrade path either

will probably happily emulate everything upto about a ps2 no problems though - but then again, what cant
So far so good, got the ram and ssd ordered. Gonna install Windows 10 at the weekend, it will make a good little PC for streaming and emulation (which it does way better than anything else I have seen) it's just seemless and actually looks and works properly.njce little addition

Back