At what point

Do we accept that there’s still a huge part of our fan base that hasn’t accepted our current situation? I’m not one of those people that thinks our fans are to blame for everything, and certainly the last few years have been torrid and would test even the most loyal of supporters. I think we’re all in agreement Parkinson was a horrendous appointment and some seen that from the off, but the majority were prepared to get behind him and give him a chance. We all know Methven and Donald need to leave but if they are the people behind current decisions they have to do something, there’s matters at hand to be dealt with. We can hope the potential new owners have something to do with the restructuring of the club but even if not, the people there now are at least doing something.

I can’t ever remember a time where as a whole our fans have been this negative. Every news story on social media is met with negative comments, every tweet from the club is met with negative comments. Every thread on here is met with fans arguing amongst themselves, even insulting each other. It used to be a decent place to come and have a read and a bit of crack.

The appointment of Speakman has potential to be positive yet many have written him off already, when I seen he had a Twitter account I could only see that ending badly at the moment.
I’m not at all saying Lee Johnson is the best manager we could’ve got, but I certainly don’t think he’s the worst. The fact of the matter is the football could not have been any worse under Parkinson and if Johnson is going to get us playing attacking football, I’m up for getting behind that. I’d rather see us have a right go at it than sit back for 90 mins and concede late on. I genuinely believe it must be one of the most challenging jobs in football at the minute given the free fall of the club and the generally large negative portion of our fan base.
It’s an unprecedented situation: We’re in league one, it’s not very nice. We don’t even have the enjoyment of a few beers pre and post match which let’s be honest was the reason most of us still went. Our owners are not the people to take us forward, we all know this. It’s a dire situation all round.

Hopefully, things are changing for the better and all we can do is wait and see and get behind the lads in the mean time. Let the behind the scenes stuff happen without the incessant bickering and whinging. But what happened to being those fans that gave everyone connected with the club a fighting chance of being a hero here? The passionate fans that when are all together are the best in the country. We’ve gone through bad times and we’ll do so again, but we always fell back on getting behind the lads and the club through thick or thin. If it is Johnson, give him a chance, it might even work out well. If the new ownership structure is as reported, it might even work out well. The only thing for certain is that we all need to be pulling in the same direction for anything to have a chance. Ha’way the lads and KTF.
Im gonna wait til Netflix turn that post into their next 'Til I Die" 😏

For all those knowledgeable and well thought out replies assuming I’m just accepting being shit, I’m not saying we should accept being shit. What I’m saying is there’s change happening and it needs a chance. Writing managers off before they’ve even managed a game is not a way to help that happen.

If we all accepted being a league one club we'd never get out of the league. With the exception of Hull (who won't be accepting becoming a league one club) every other club would be quite happy with our position and wouldn't have considered Parkinson to have been doing a bad job.

I'll never accept Sunderland being this shite

Do we accept that there’s still a huge part of our fan base that hasn’t accepted our current situation? I’m not one of those people that thinks our fans are to blame for everything, and certainly the last few years have been torrid and would test even the most loyal of supporters. I think we’re all in agreement Parkinson was a horrendous appointment and some seen that from the off, but the majority were prepared to get behind him and give him a chance. We all know Methven and Donald need to leave but if they are the people behind current decisions they have to do something, there’s matters at hand to be dealt with. We can hope the potential new owners have something to do with the restructuring of the club but even if not, the people there now are at least doing something.

I can’t ever remember a time where as a whole our fans have been this negative. Every news story on social media is met with negative comments, every tweet from the club is met with negative comments. Every thread on here is met with fans arguing amongst themselves, even insulting each other. It used to be a decent place to come and have a read and a bit of crack.

The appointment of Speakman has potential to be positive yet many have written him off already, when I seen he had a Twitter account I could only see that ending badly at the moment.
I’m not at all saying Lee Johnson is the best manager we could’ve got, but I certainly don’t think he’s the worst. The fact of the matter is the football could not have been any worse under Parkinson and if Johnson is going to get us playing attacking football, I’m up for getting behind that. I’d rather see us have a right go at it than sit back for 90 mins and concede late on. I genuinely believe it must be one of the most challenging jobs in football at the minute given the free fall of the club and the generally large negative portion of our fan base.
It’s an unprecedented situation: We’re in league one, it’s not very nice. We don’t even have the enjoyment of a few beers pre and post match which let’s be honest was the reason most of us still went. Our owners are not the people to take us forward, we all know this. It’s a dire situation all round.

Hopefully, things are changing for the better and all we can do is wait and see and get behind the lads in the mean time. Let the behind the scenes stuff happen without the incessant bickering and whinging. But what happened to being those fans that gave everyone connected with the club a fighting chance of being a hero here? The passionate fans that when are all together are the best in the country. We’ve gone through bad times and we’ll do so again, but we always fell back on getting behind the lads and the club through thick or thin. If it is Johnson, give him a chance, it might even work out well. If the new ownership structure is as reported, it might even work out well. The only thing for certain is that we all need to be pulling in the same direction for anything to have a chance. Ha’way the lads and KTF.

It is what it is.

To accept shit is to give up.
We should never accept shit. However we shouldn’t see everything as shit just because we’ve seen shit up to now. Personally I’d say that appointing a poyet or Pearson would have as much chance of going tits up as going the route we have. Indeed, while I’m ambivalent about Johnson, the speakman appointment is exactly the sort of thing a well-run club would do. I completely understand why SAFC fans can’t see that, but that’s what it is.

Donald and methven have drained everyone mate. They really have done a lot of long term damage to this football club. Your gripe should be with them.
Seems to be the fans fault again by the tone of the OP without the utter debacle the current owners have foisted upon us really being what has caused this ! They get away by dividing fans, very clever

Spot on.

The Newcastle fans are judged as ‘delusional’ for wanting better for their club. Double standards.

yes, we are in this position because of poor ownership, but we are where we are and that can’t drastically change overnight.

They need to officially announce the takeover because there is still so many divis that can't see this a new plan from the new owners, which will be lead by footballing people like Speakman.

The clubs been shite for years but it's pointless criticising when it looks like we are actually going to try and go down a different path. I will now just await the 'we've heard it all before, talk is cheap etc', comments.

Very true, but you can do that and still accept that we are where we are for a reason, and that we're in no position to act Billy Bogbollock because we have a big ground and big crowds. That's where wanting the best spills over into arrogance and entitlement syndrome.
There’s nothing arrogant about wanting a Manager with a better track record than Lee Johnson. Btw I don’t need your arrogant condescending lecture either.

Can Donald and Salmon Pants accept where we are?

If they did they might realise that the asking price is OTT for a club at this level and might get proper buyers

Current situation is we've never been this shit. This is the 4th season in the clubs entire history that it's been outside the top two levels, the worst of it is this is a 3rd season in a row at this level. Had we just spend 4 years being shit in the bottom half of the Championship, we'd be moaning and complaining but at least we've been there a lot before so know we can get out of it and turn things around. This is new ground and we don't like it an are possibly panicking that we may be here for more time yet.

I don't for one second believe that any Sunderland fan on here accepts that we are a League 1 club.
Unfortunately we are a League 1 team and there is a big difference between the size of the club and the quality of the team.
No we shouldn't be in this position sadly we are and part of the problem that comes with this is that we are attracting players and managers that are below the standards we should be setting ourselves.
We all would have loved a big name manager unfortunately I don't think any big name managers fancy us at the moment.
Give LJ a chance (personally I wouldn't have appointed him) he might just surprise us

We’re heading for a fourth successive season at this level which is absolutely disgusting for a club of this size. The blame lies squarely at the feet of Donald and Methven, they had to make cuts we all know that but aside from that what else have they done? They’ve shown absolutely no inclination to build the club back up again up until arguably yesterday with the Speakman announcement.

I got behind the appointment of Jack Ross but bloody hell we could all see just how the Phil Parkinson era was going to turn out. I never wanted the knacker anywhere near the club and the spin from the likes of Methven was painful, talking about a “fantastic” CV ffs.

For all I didn’t want Parkinson in charge he was certainly not helped by a third shambolic summer of recruitment from the mob above his head. As far as I can tell once the clowns they originally hired to work on recruitment (Coton and his mate) had quite rightly been shown the door there was nobody at the club working in this area. It was a case of sorry Phil we’ve spat our dummies out, here’s your paltry transfer and wage budget (we will of course wait until after the salary cap is introduced to try and sign players because it’s a good excuse) now who do you fancy? Danny Graham eh? Yeah we can make that work.

Worst owners in our history and that’s saying something given the state the likes of Short got us in.

For all those knowledgeable and well thought out replies assuming I’m just accepting being shit, I’m not saying we should accept being shit. What I’m saying is there’s change happening and it needs a chance. Writing managers off before they’ve even managed a game is not a way to help that happen.
You're assuming a lot and expecting people to think like you. It isn't a case of people seeing a change and not willing to give it a chance its people not believing there has been a change and just seeing more of the same. As long as Donald has an input as to what is going on at the club all we're doing is rearragning the deck chairs on the titanic, he taints everything he is involved with and a lot of fans are done giving him more chances.
Very true, but you can do that and still accept that we are where we are for a reason, and that we're in no position to act Billy Bogbollock because we have a big ground and big crowds. That's where wanting the best spills over into arrogance and entitlement syndrome.
Before our most recent relegation we'd only spent one season at this level beforehand, I don't think it arrogance to consider ourselves better than this level. We have a history, fanbase, facilities and stadium that the other teams in this league could only dream of.

Last edited:

Back