At what point does "level of expectancy" become arrogance?

I think the starting point is the definition of the word arrogant. The Shorter OED defines it as "unduly appropriating authority or importance; aggressively conceited or presumptuous; haughty, overbearing."
Next, ask the question: do any of these elements apply? I submit the question has already been answered in your opening salvo, m'lud....

This - agreed

And therefore it’s almost impossible for us to be arrogant in league 1 away at Rochdale! We should walk this league with our resources and therefore nothing ‘undue’ about it.

We should play with swagger and confidence at this level, the way Man City or Liverpool would turn up at Sunderland. Or the way Wimbledon probably turned up at clubs when they were ploughing through the leagues. They shouldn’t be there. Nor should we
We are where we deserve to be. All the peripheral stuff adds up to sweet FA if the results on the pitch don’t come.

What I don’t get is the assumption that all our ingrained woes can somehow miraculously disappear in the space of a year or so.

We can’t expect to keep pressing the reset button year after year and somehow retain any semblance of the DNA of a successful organisation.

Patience is what our fans lack.

Disagree tbh mate - our fans are massively patient. To the point where we’re in league 1 and there’s never been a protest or a boycooooot, or a random protest outside of a high street shop, not even when we were ‘failing’ In the premier league. Imagine the indignity if being 15th in the premier league now???

Other clubs, not too far away, are a little less patient and maybe sum ‘lack of patience’ up better. despite being 2 leagues above.

Our fans are good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knowing that we should walk this league - on paper and expecting that to happen - in due course is where arrogance starts imo. After last season she should be expecting nothing never mind walking anything. And I suggest this should apply at least until the team learns at least pass a ball to a red and white shirt.

Expect to win the game tonight because we'll be fitter, work harder and pass the ball better. Not just because we're SAFC. I doesn't work like that.

This - agreed

And therefore it’s almost impossible for us to be arrogant in league 1 away at Rochdale! We should walk this league with our resources and therefore nothing ‘undue’ about it.

We should play with swagger and confidence at this level, the way Man City or Liverpool would turn up at Sunderland. Or the way Wimbledon probably turned up at clubs when they were ploughing through the leagues. They shouldn’t be there. Nor should we

Disagree tbh mate - our fans are massively patient. To the point where we’re in league 1 and there’s never been a protest or a boycooooot, or a random protest outside of a high street shop, not even when we were ‘failing’ In the premier league. Imagine the indignity if being 15th in the premier league now???

Other clubs, not too far away, are a little less patient and maybe sum ‘lack of patience’ up better. despite being 2 leagues above.

Our fans are good.
I do think we are impatient as a whole tbh, the clamouring to press reset again this season is symptomatic of it.

Results haven’t been perfect but this constant state of flux doesn’t work, hasnt worked and will not work. Patience is key to this. Jack Ross isn’t Guardiola but he’s doing a good, steady job along side the owners imho.

Fans are good as you say, supporters are better.

When Leeds were in L1 I always expected them to get promotion, it took them a few seasons. I'll expect the same from us.

Back