At what point does "level of expectancy" become arrogance?

Lord Alfred

Striker
Seems to be a topic occupying everyone from the owners, the manager, players and some fans at our club so I wondered if we could define what it is.

For me personally we should be comfortably beating tonight's opponents. We're bigger in all respects....history, stadium and academy, fan base and income.

IF, however we were in the Championship and playing one of a dozen clubs like West Brom, Stoke, Leeds, Boro, Fulham etc then I have no expectancy that we should beat any of these fine clubs. Surely that's all it is....i think I know our level and L1 is beneath that. Its not arrogant to think that surely.

Seems to be a topic occupying everyone from the owners, the manager, players and some fans at our club so I wondered if we could define what it is.

For me personally we should be comfortably beating tonight's opponents. We're bigger in all respects....history, stadium and academy, fan base and income.

IF, however we were in the Championship and playing one of a dozen clubs like West Brom, Stoke, Leeds, Boro, Fulham etc then I have no expectancy that we should beat any of these fine clubs. Surely that's all it is....i think I know our level and L1 is beneath that. Its not arrogant to think that surely.

League 1 football is a poor standard and so are the officials, a club with nigh on 49,000 capacity and the facilities we have should not be languishing in this division, I agree that we would not have a Devine right to promotion from the championship to the premier league but imho we should be plying our trade at least in the championship, it’s not arrogance it’s just expectation for me

There's also the added ingredient that our players have a greater chance of going up to the championship and playing at a higher level.

The Rochdale players probably know this is as good as it gets.

Should be targeting a win every game at this level.

That’s nothing to do with arrogance (and we obviously won’t beat everyone). It’s due to the fact that we have spent a lot of money (at this level) for assembling this squad.

We should be beating tonight's opponents, but it's all about the application of the players in the current squad, we know they can do it, they did it in fits and starts on Saturday.History, ground capacity etc stand for nothing during those 90 minutes, especially if you're relying on the likes of the 'man off' that is Will Grigg.

We should be beating tonight's opponents, but it's all about the application of the players in the current squad, we know they can do it, they did it in fits and starts on Saturday.History, ground capacity etc stand for nothing during those 90 minutes, especially if you're relying on the likes of the 'man off' that is Will Grigg.

I get that but my point is there seems to be implied criticism directed at the fans if we kick off and whinge about being outplayed by Oxford at home.

With our infrastructure, finances and support base, we SHOULD be walking the league. That's not arrogance, it's common sense.

The fact we haven't and didn't suggested something wasn't working.

I don't think it's arrogant to assume a club whose spent millions, with a salary level of £10m now, should be beating a team with a 3000 capacity stadium and a manager who drives the bus.

I have been a bit pissed off with other clubs and fans having a chip on their shoulder about us because we say we should go up because of who and what we are. We know where we are but we are not saying anything that isn't true! They should take a look at themselves, be proud of what they are but they are not and never will be as big as us.

I get that but my point is there seems to be implied criticism directed at the fans if we kick off and whinge about being outplayed by Oxford at home.
Personally I don't think its arrogance at all, the squad we have should be able to compete with every other opponent in this league, and at home especially we should be beating most teams, the trouble is we don't seem to be going for the throat straight from KO, we've been easing into games, well, that doesnt get bums off seats.

Personally for me any form of any game expectancy is total arrogance, you have to earn the right and treat them as if they were Liverpool.

We have a long way to go...IMO.

I think the starting point is the definition of the word arrogant. The Shorter OED defines it as "unduly appropriating authority or importance; aggressively conceited or presumptuous; haughty, overbearing."
Next, ask the question: do any of these elements apply? I submit the question has already been answered in your opening salvo, m'lud....

League 1 football is a poor standard and so are the officials, a club with nigh on 49,000 capacity and the facilities we have should not be languishing in this division, I agree that we would not have a Devine right to promotion from the championship to the premier league but imho we should be plying our trade at least in the championship, it’s not arrogance it’s just expectation for me
I actually think we should be able apply for promotion due to an obvious administrative error.

We should be walking this league simple as that, no ifs or buts, fair enough be a little bit more respectful at championship level, but we still go to those ground and do our best to give them a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

When it's only our third season at this level it's not arrogance. If we fail to go up this season though expectations would need to be lowered as we'd have a much smaller income

Personally for me any form of any game expectancy is total arrogance, you have to earn the right and treat them as if they were Liverpool.

There’s a difference between expecting to win a game and believing we have a right to win it.

I’d expect us to win our next two games based upon our team’s ability.

Back