"... At This Level..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's rubbish. The Championship is our level, it's the league we are in. We are NOT a premiership club anymore and we have been very luck to have been in the premiership for as long as we were. We need to accept this and try and win promotion.

You don't judge your capability by where you are, you judge it by where you should be.

You don't judge your capability by where you are, you judge it by where you should be.
Really don't understand this. We were not capable of being in the Premiership, hence relegation. This is the sort of opinion Newcastle fans get slated for. Thinking they are better than most teams and should be in Europe. We have been poor for ages and are where we deserve to be due us being not capable of maintaining top flight status. I am all for the positive mentally and advocate it; however, let's be real and accept our situation.

What is 'our level'?

Well in my lifetime SAFC have played 30 seasons OUT of the top flight and 31 seasons IN it.

If you factor in the season in the 3rd tier it kind of balances out equally.

So 'our level' is a perpetual state of fighting against relegation or fighting for promotion.

Now, and the last few seasons is EXACTLY 'our level'.

Discuss.

At least we're usually still playing for something at the end of the season.

If you accept that we're 'at this level' partly because we've continually made short term signings that offered no value in the long term, can you not see why people would be a bit underwhelmed at signing players who are nowhere near good enough for the Prem when our ambitions are to get back there as soon as possible?

Agree it's a difficult balance to strike but I'd like us to show more ambition than just accepting our lot

If you accept that we're 'at this level' partly because we've continually made short term signings that offered no value in the long term, can you not see why people would be a bit underwhelmed at signing players who are nowhere near good enough for the Prem when our ambitions are to get back there as soon as possible?

Agree it's a difficult balance to strike but I'd like us to show more ambition than just accepting our lot

People have been saying that for 60 years (see my post above(

Really don't understand this. We were not capable of being in the Premiership, hence relegation. This is the sort of opinion Newcastle fans get slated for. Thinking they are better than most teams and should be in Europe. We have been poor for ages and are where we deserve to be due us being not capable of maintaining top flight status. I am all for the positive mentally and advocate it; however, let's be real and accept our situation.

There's a difference between accepting where you are and being in with it.

Newcastle should get slated for saying they should be in Europe. But they should not get slated for saying they should be in the top division. There is a difference.

Also our current position is deserved by terrible management. This is true.

None of this means we shouldn't be in the top tier (albeit in the bottom half). That is our par position, anything less is failure and should be treated as such

I think posters need to be more realistic about their thread expectations, Longy has been brought in to suit our ambitions and aspirations which should be set at a lower level these days
A curious one. We're probably one of only a tiny amount of teams who've ever been relegated and instantly settled for the fact we have no realistic hope of promotion.

That's rubbish. The Championship is our level, it's the league we are in. We are NOT a premiership club anymore and we have been very luck to have been in the premiership for as long as we were. We need to accept this and try and win promotion.
Premiership's for egg chasers ;)

This right here is the difference between Newcastle and us. Confident arrogance.

The top league is our level. It should be our level. To not be in it is mismanagement of a sort.

It is also Leeds level and Sheffield Wednesday level however, there's no guarantee or divine right to be there and I don't think we'll get back this year but that doesn't stop it being our level. The thought process around the club should be that and not getting there should be considered failure (Not necessarily failure of Grayson but in general)
Good post and completely correct. Although nobody has a right to be in the top league (see mags' arrogance) we are certainly a top league club and not being there is 100% a sign of mismanagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back