"... At This Level..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I must've missed the bit where it says everybody's got to say this after mentioning a player we might sign. It's almost as if a few people have convinced themselves we're just having a quick visit before we get back to our real level.

I think I must've missed the bit where it says everybody's got to say this after mentioning a player we might sign. It's almost as if a few people have convinced themselves we're just having a quick visit before we get back to our real level.
This reads like a reply to some thing and not the start of a thread. What are you replying to?

This right here is the difference between Newcastle and us. Confident arrogance.

The top league is our level. It should be our level. To not be in it is mismanagement of a sort.

It is also Leeds level and Sheffield Wednesday level however, there's no guarantee or divine right to be there and I don't think we'll get back this year but that doesn't stop it being our level. The thought process around the club should be that and not getting there should be considered failure (Not necessarily failure of Grayson but in general)

Makes a change from "has Premier League experience".

This will be our 6th season in the 2nd tier in the last 21 seasons*. I'd say it reasonable to suggest that Premier League is "our level" albeit the bottom of the Premier League

*Used 21 seasons because it's our 21st season at the SOL. I think it's reasonable to say our prospects (and revenue) changed when we moved to a bigger stadium

No matter what happens we need top players for this level.

What is 'our level'?

Well in my lifetime SAFC have played 30 seasons OUT of the top flight and 31 seasons IN it.

If you factor in the season in the 3rd tier it kind of balances out equally.

So 'our level' is a perpetual state of fighting against relegation or fighting for promotion.

Now, and the last few seasons is EXACTLY 'our level'.

Discuss.

I am more worried by the amount of people who have convinced themselves each and every new player we are interested in is a bad signing and have given themselves a reason for it. And you will either be in the "Too much to pay" camp, the "We have players who are better" camp or the "He is past it" camp.

Our level is whatever league we are in at the moment.

This right here is the difference between Newcastle and us. Confident arrogance.

The top league is our level. It should be our level. To not be in it is mismanagement of a sort.

It is also Leeds level and Sheffield Wednesday level however, there's no guarantee or divine right to be there and I don't think we'll get back this year but that doesn't stop it being our level. The thought process around the club should be that and not getting there should be considered failure (Not necessarily failure of Grayson but in general)
That's rubbish. The Championship is our level, it's the league we are in. We are NOT a premiership club anymore and we have been very luck to have been in the premiership for as long as we were. We need to accept this and try and win promotion.

It's only being trotted out because some people on here turn their nose up at any potential signing, for one reason or another.

Isn't "at this level" just a caveat on descriptions of players?

"He's a good striker at this level" meaning that for the competition you're in, he should do well, but you're not saying he's good enough for the top flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back