At fault car accident

4 or 5 years ago just after our youngest passed his test - he was reversing out of our drive (a cul-de-sac) and our neighbours dog walker came flying into the street and caught the back of our car. Didn't appear to be much damage to either car - a tiny nick in our bumper and her van was an old banger. Anyway she came back later and said there was damage to a door trim so contacted the insurance and left them to get on with it. They put our lad down as to blame and never bothered to investigate - we found out later that her claim was for about £1500 for damage along the side of the car, which I couldn't believe.. I wish I'd fought them harder - their logic was our son was at fault because he was reversing - but given we had a single contact point and she was claiming multiples - I reckon he must have been stationary at the moment of impact and she was moving which should have meant she was in the wrong, IMO.

Long story - and the point is we didn't pay any excess but it pushed the premium up the following year.

Just got off the phone to insurance, thankfully no excess is to pay because there is no need of repair on my car. Just having a couple of year taken off my no claims until the claim is settled where they will either be taken off permanently or reimbursed if no claim is made.
Sent them photos of her car clearly showing absolutely no damage which they have said that they will "investigate".
Luckily the Mrs was switched on enough to take photos

It would blow your eyes out to see some of the RTA/MOJ claims. Especially a few years ago. There’s a limit now, but back around 2012 or so there was some right nonsense. Mainly the same names too. They know who they are.

Back