At a Loss

Do a TEFL or CELTA English language teaching course and get yourself a teaching job abroad for a few years.

It's a good laugh, you'll meet a lot of new people, decent money and it's a rewarding job when you see that you are helping people achieve their goals.

Been doing it almost 15 years and never get tired of it.

Last edited:

Got to be honest struggling a bit here.

No social group, feel like no mates, or at least not in one place all together.

Back in a mundane job, work from home, so no interaction with anyone. Jobs going nowhere, shite money, feel way behind my peers. But I’ve got no plan of what I wanna do or progress.

Nae Lass, nae plan, nae motivation, absolutely nothing planned till Christmas Day, literally

I’ve thought about many things over years, going to work remotely from abroad which maybe I could do, or all this type of shite, but not sure I’ve got any confidence left to do out.

Im 31 and I just feel like it’s going nowhere and I’m wasting me life and have wasted it so far. But no motivation to do fuck all. Feel totally alone but at the same time finding it hard to motivate to wanna talk to anyone.

Fed up!

Not saying this will work for everyone but when I was stuck in a similar sort of rut a few months back I ended up booking a trip to New York, which is something I've always wanted to do, and enrolled on an Open University course to try and help me get ahead in my career. The first thing has really given me something to look forward to on a personal level and the second one has given me a renewed edge work wise and is also great for keeping me busy when I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for meself.

Just a couple of possible suggestions but hopefully you get out of the other side of this soon marra.
Do you go to the gym? Exercise is always good for the mind.

And definitely this as well. Even if you can't be arsed with the gym or a run, go for a long walk.

Last edited:
1. Make yourself do some kind of exercise. It sparks up your endorphins and makes you feel healthier and more confident. Running or even walking will do that, but if it is done with others, like 5-a-side, boxing, gym etc. you will gradually build up a social life provided you can have a bit crack with people. If you do Zumba or Salsa you will meet loads of women, and maybe they won't all be old bats.
2. @RichD's recommendation of volunteering will put you in contact with good people. Talk to them and confidence will build.
3. I notice you said 'falling behind your peers'. This is a toxic thought, because you don't know how they feel at their core even though they might seem successful on the surface (married with kids/nice house or car/great career etc.) Think about the things you have, like freedom and the ability to earn a living, rather than the things you don't have. You have the ability to express what is troubling you, which is a damn good start.
Good luck BTW, even though I think most of your postings on football are pants!;)
And @ChrisAshley , if you believe you can't, you never will. Do 1. or 2. this week. You can, you know.
Reminds me of that Walter Wintle quote.

If you think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!
That book by the US navy seal is amazing- called total ownership - or something like that
That one by Ant Middleton (SBS fella) is canny also.

Last edited:
Reminds me of that Walter Wintle quote.

If you think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!

That one by Ant Middleton (SBS fella) is canny also.

Its ok- book i meant is called Extreme Ownership

Back