Astra Zeneca

Look on it as an altruistic gesture towards your fellow man.

If you have the vaccine you are far less likely to contract the disease therefore far less likely to pass it on to someone else who may die from it. Also you reduce the transmission rate, reducing the chance of possible, more dangerous, mutations.

From that perspective it would be as selfish not to have the vaccine as it is to refuse to wear a mask and 'social distance' to protect others.
This doesn't get mentioned enough.
Every time this virus is passed on is another possible mutation.

So the EU are about to sue AZ, right in the middle of pandemic. Not sure on the timing of this. If successful what do they want to get out of the action, bearing in mind they have moved more to other vaccines than AZ. Will be interesting how this pans out.

So the EU are about to sue AZ, right in the middle of pandemic. Not sure on the timing of this. If successful what do they want to get out of the action, bearing in mind they have moved more to other vaccines than AZ. Will be interesting how this pans out.
Good question. I guess a refund but it's bizarre.

Good question. I guess a refund but it's bizarre.
I'm guessing some sort of admittance of failure from them which they could then spin to try and repair the reputational damage caused to the EU perhaps in their handling of vaccine procurement. I mean if AZ can't produce enough vaccine then they aren't getting them are they?

I'm guessing some sort of admittance of failure from them which they could then spin to try and repair the reputational damage caused to the EU perhaps in their handling of vaccine procurement. I mean if AZ can't produce enough vaccine then they aren't getting them are they?
I really don't know.

I don't know what they can really sue for other than not meeting contractual.agreements and therefore money back... Can't really sue for damages or surely AZ can counter sue for the bad mouthing if their product.. I can't see anyone winning from it.. out of court... Money back and leave it at that is the only way I can see

Last edited:

Trying to save face

Shame they've gone about it arsewards - they should have taken them through the courts before threatening to ban exports, raiding factories and invoking then withdrawing article 16 of the NI protocol - tossers

I don't know what they can really sue for other than not meeting contractual.agreements and therefore money back... Can't really sue for damages or surely AZ can counter sue for the bad mouthing if their product.. I can't see anyone winning from it.. out of court... Money back and leave it at that is the only way I can see
the only winners will be the multitude of lawyers. it will drag on for years and all just to save face.

the only winners will be the multitude of lawyers. it will drag on for years and all just to save face.
And the eu won't save face.
Their whole procurement process will be under scrutiny, how and when they ordered, how much profit did AZ make, how much time and money did the eu put into ramping up production and into developing the vaccine? How many vaccines did countries have which went unused because of fear brought up by this 'quasi effective' vaccine from heads of eu states .
Vdl will have to take the stand, and all this to prove it was AZ not the eu who was at fault in a really unpredictable trial.
All this at a time when the eu seems to have got its act together and are starting to vaccinate in large numbers .
It doesn't seem a smart decision

And the eu won't save face.
Their whole procurement process will be under scrutiny, how and when they ordered, how much profit did AZ make, how much time and money did the eu put into ramping up production and into developing the vaccine? How many vaccines did countries have which went unused because of fear brought up by this 'quasi effective' vaccine from heads of eu states .
Vdl will have to take the stand, and all this to prove it was AZ not the eu who was at fault in a really unpredictable trial.
All this at a time when the eu seems to have got its act together and are starting to vaccinate in large numbers .
It doesn't seem a smart decision
if i was the suspicious type I'd be thinking its a deflection tactic to blame someone else for their mistakes/naivety/pure incompetence.
it's good to see them seemingly get their act together at long last but how many lives have been lost.

When it first kicked off, wasn't it a Belgian lawyer who came out and said that the EU's contract with AZ wasn't as watertight as the UK's and that they didn't have a leg to stand on?
"The contract even has a clause saying the Commission cannot sue AstraZeneca if it doesn't deliver on time — a clause lawyers believe the Commission will seek to invalidate in a Belgian court"

🤔

Why employ management consultants to advise on the nature of the contract and then claim it was too late to do anything about the findings? Sounds like someone has cocked up there by sitting on the Deloitte report for a week or so and not actioning it.

Also sounds like the EU Commission are suggesting they couldn’t change the contract anyhow because they inherited terms from an earlier agreement that four of the countries had provisionally agreed. Which begs the question why were Deloitte commissioned to do the report

This all sounds like incompetence. No doubt the plan is to throw as much shit as possible at AZ and hope some sticks

Trying to save face

Shame they've gone about it arsewards - they should have taken them through the courts before threatening to ban exports, raiding factories and invoking then withdrawing article 16 of the NI protocol - tossers
Saving face my arse.
1. Get the money it preinvested back (and just pay for what is delivered).
2. Stop other companies making bad contracts with the EU as they won't get away with it.

Bear in mind, AZ will only have delivered something like 30 million doses out of an agreed 120 million.

Saving face my arse.
1. Get the money it preinvested back (and just pay for what is delivered).
2. Stop other companies making bad contracts with the EU as they won't get away with it.

Bear in mind, AZ will only have delivered something like 30 million doses out of an agreed 120 million.
1. Can the UK have their money back it invested in the Halix plant too?
2. So the EU signed a bad contract? Was it signed under duress or just drawn up by idiots?

Back