Astra Zeneca

BBC were quoting it yesterday on both tv and radio. Haven’t been able to find a written version, but think it demonstrates the point even if it isn’t quotable. I’m 31, so would like to know whether the AZ is actually less risky for me than COVID or not, sure it’ll all change again before it’s my turn in the queue mind
The one in a million figure isn’t correct that’s why, you are not four times more likely to die from the vaccine than you are from COVID. From my understanding of yesterday’s briefing, the issue with younger people is a reduced likelihood of dying from COVID than someone older, but the benefits of vaccine still far outweigh the risks. Advice is for younger persons to be given other vaccines, not because AZ is riskier than getting COVID but because we have other vaccine types available

Yes of course. Suspect things will move on rapidly in this front in the coming weeks anyway, and I won’t be getting a vaccine before June/July anyway
At least that gives you time to weigh up all your options. Things develop so quickly with this, that certain things we are discussing now could be obsolete come July.

We’ve all heard and understand the statements that the incidence of blood clot side effects is extremely low. And we understand that’s based on evidence and statistical analysis. But people remember. That the previous statements were founded on the same principles. Regardless of this, if you’re one of the very few people who had the most serious form of this side effect you are 100% dead.
There will be a lot of people who won't want the second AZ jab now.

If they're offering alternatives to the under 30's, they're going to have to offer alternatives to the over 30's as well.

As you say, it doesn't matter how rare the side effects are, some people won't want to take the risk.

The one in a million figure isn’t correct that’s why, you are not four times more likely to die from the vaccine than you are from COVID. From my understanding of yesterday’s briefing, the issue with younger people is a reduced likelihood of dying from COVID than someone older, but the benefits of vaccine still far outweigh the risks. Advice is for younger persons to be given other vaccines, not because AZ is riskier than getting COVID but because we have other vaccine types available
You are more likely to. That’s the exact point of the research. You can’t just disbelieve something because it doesn’t suit your rhetoric. Government wouldn’t have moved to ban AZ for young ones if it has no basis in fact

If they're offering alternatives to the under 30's, they're going to have to offer alternatives to the over 30's as well.

As you say, it doesn't matter how rare the side effects are, some people won't want to take the risk.
They were on about selling this vaccine at full price after July.
Can't see any country buying it personally.

Even though the first dose did not affect them?? Leading scientist on BBC said if you don't suffer issues from 1st jab, the second wont affect you

This article suggests that the risk of getting a blood clot is 4 in a million (around 1-2 in a million fatal) whereas deaths in 40 year olds from covid is around 1.6 in a million.

Obviously 20 and 30 year olds will be lower still
Also worth noting that for a large portion of people, the chances of dying from covid is comparably as rare

Last edited:
You are more likely to. That’s the exact point of the research. You can’t just disbelieve something because it doesn’t suit your rhetoric. Government wouldn’t have moved to ban AZ for young ones if it has no basis in fact
More likely to what? You are more susceptible to blood clots but the risk of that is still minuscule compared to the risks of getting COVID and dying from it even in the younger age bands. I am not disbelieving anything, Go and read thevMHRA release yesterday

More likely to what? You are more susceptible to blood clots but the risk of that is still minuscule compared to the risks of getting COVID and dying from it even in the younger age bands. I am not disbelieving anything, Go and read thevMHRA release yesterday

The risk of getting a blood clot is nearly 3 times higher in 40 year olds than dying from covid. What you are saying is categorically incorrect. In younger people, you will be even more likely than the 3 times quoted above to die from a blood clot than covid. That is the results of the same research that the MHRA cited in their research.
I think if you've had one AZ jab, you'll have some sort of immunity as well.

People may not bother with the second.

I can see this really scuppering the vaccine roll-out.
It gets to the point where you just don’t believe what they say and don’t trust them. I’m getting towards that point, as the story’s changed so much even in the last few days. There was no link whatsoever and the EU were talking shite on Monday

It gets to the point where you just don’t believe what they say and don’t trust them. I’m getting towards that point, as the story’s changed so much even in the last few days. There was no link whatsoever and the EU were talking shite on Monday
I think they need to get their stories straight to be honest.

It makes you wonder what else is going to come out over the next few weeks.

Are the countries pulling this vaccine over reacting to a tiny number of side effects that should be expected, where there isn’t total proof it’s the vaccine causing issues? Is it just political? Booked in for mine Thursday and after no trepidation at all, am suddenly a little uneasy. Should I be? Don’t obviously even know if I would be offered that one, but now having niggling thoughts about it..
Politics. If they aren’t going to use it because a few unlucky souls out of tens of millions have a blood clot then there are many things that should therefore also be banned. Over the counter pain relief for starters. Aspirin can kill, but a miniscule number in proportion to the number of people that use it. It’s an acceptable risk. So is the risk involved in the vaccine.

That’s not the view of the EMA though who yesterday said that Clotting as a very rare side effect and that the benefits of the vaccine outweighed the risk. Also that there was no proven causal link between the AZ vaccine and blood clotting as yet

MHRA advice now is that younger persons take another vaccine, but that’s only because we have vaccine options.
The causal link has been established, thats the whole point.
Politics. If they aren’t going to use it because a few unlucky souls out of tens of millions have a blood clot then there are many things that should therefore also be banned. Over the counter pain relief for starters. Aspirin can kill, but a miniscule number in proportion to the number of people that use it. It’s an acceptable risk. So is the risk involved in the vaccine.

Ah the good ol SMB, they know best :lol: :lol: :lol:

So the risk of someone under 30 taking a vaccine that is 4 times more likely to kill you than the disease the vaccine presents is “worth it”?

This article suggests that the risk of getting a blood clot is 4 in a million (around 1-2 in a million fatal) whereas deaths in 40 year olds from covid is around 1.6 in a million.

Obviously 20 and 30 year olds will be lower still

Also worth noting that for a large portion of people, the chances of dying from covid is comparably as rare
We don’t yet know if Long Covid will reduce life expectancy. We won’t know actual death rates from Covid for many years.

So the risk of someone under 30 taking a vaccine that is 4 times more likely to kill you than the disease the vaccine presents is “worth it”?
Don’t have it. I don’t give a shite one way or the other. It’s up to the individual to decide if it’s “worth it”. There’s risk involved in most things we do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back