Asteroid a MILE wide to hurtle past Earth in 72 HOURS - as experts warn of MASS EXTINCTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm going to bring the garden gnomes in, just in case.

The Daily Express really is a bag of shit these days if they're not bleating on about the weather as usual,'storm of the century' etc.....they're printing shite like this,it's six fkn million miles away ffs,i've me elastoplasts and TCP ready just any case like.

Serious question. If something like that was coming straight at us, could be move the planet a bit so the asteroid missed us? With rockets or something? I know not with 72 hours notice... but some times you know years in advance don't you?

The effects of gravity from approaching a larger body. Whoops!!

I had no idea you were a cosmologist. Can you give us the figures?

Here is the NASA data. http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroids/1999FN53/1999FN53_planning.html

To help you out "This object was observed by NASA's NEOWISE mission in mid-April. Preliminary results reported by J. Masierto
suggest a diameter of roughly 1 km."

1km is actually 0.621 miles so your calculations will need to take that into account :lol:

NASA’s Near Earth Object Programme puts the enormous lump of rock on course to pass within six million miles of Earth on May 14.

In astronomical terms this is a tiny distance and close enough to prompt astronomers to keep an eye on it until is passes safely.

As long as they're keeping an eye on it we'll be alright.
Why do they have to keep an eye on it? Is it like a weeping angel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back