Aspergers as an adult

I am becoming more and more concerned that I may have Aspergers. I am 47.

I've been concerned/curious about this for a long time but recently my daughter (20) who was diagnosed with Aspergers at 14 told me that she recognises a lot of the traits in me. This led me to do several different on-line tests. All top end of the spectrum, but it's hard to know if you are answering questions accurately or because you know what answers will lead towards a certain result. Hard to know if any answer answered is true or not as I feel like I have been acting and playing a part my whole life just to fit in.

Is there any point in asking for a referral at this point in life? Not sure what a diagnosis will do for me. Will it answer a lot of questions or will it mess with my head further? Are any positives and answers I may get from it outweigh the cost to the NHS of the diagnosis?

Has anyone on here been through this as an adult and got a diagnosis.

I was diagnosed with dyslexia at 40 while doing my Masters degree. That did answer a lot of questions for me and has allowed me to try and tailor my work towards my strengths and avoid the weaknesses.

I used to work with a bloke for many years who was inflexible, moody, emotional if things didn't go right and could be downright rude to people. It was only when both of his kids were diagnosed with autism that we started to wonder if that went some way to explaining parts of his behaviour. Trouble is he also had the absolute knacker gene too. :lol:

At your age I doubt it would benefit you knowing to be honest mate. You've made it this far with no problems.

This is probably the best attitude to take. A kid who is diagnosed will benefit going through school and will also have access to education on how to adapt, learn how to understand/ read the emotions of others etc.

If you are late forties and are functioning in society with no problems, then it’s just a label.

As for acting or playing a part, I suggest many people do this. They play one part at work, another at home and another again in the pub for example. Society dictates we do this to an extent.

We have a family member (no names, no pack drill!) who we've know was ‘weird’ since we were bairns. Aspergers wasn’t identified until around 1990 by which time he was into his thirties. What good would it have done to have identified it earlier? Possibly some like the lad above just said, but the interventions we know about now likely didn’t exist in the seventies.
Now it maks nee odds. His behaviour has definitely mellowed over the years and he’s in a public-facing job so he’s forced to deal with people. Also his rigid routine behaviour has lightened up a bit too over the years and he’s easy to get along with. It’s a bit easier, other than describing a litany of his oddball symptoms, to just say “I’m pretty sure he’s on the spectrum” or “he’s likely got a touch of the old Aspergers” but other than that who cares. He’s a good bloke and his odd behaviour is harmless. We’re all weird in some ways. My missus makes fun of my alleged CDO.

Last edited:
Sort of agree with you all that knowing won't change anything but there is a big part of me that wants to know. Partly for me and partly as an example for my daughter.

Was chatting with my wife about it who says I should see the GP and go from there. Her analogy is that she is adopted. The fact that she is 50 doesn't change her wanting to know where she comes from etc even though it wont change her life in anyway (unless her natural parents are billionaires). Saying that however she wont do anything about it while her natural mother is alive.

Sort of agree with you all that knowing won't change anything but there is a big part of me that wants to know. Partly for me and partly as an example for my daughter.

Was chatting with my wife about it who says I should see the GP and go from there. Her analogy is that she is adopted. The fact that she is 50 doesn't change her wanting to know where she comes from etc even though it wont change her life in anyway (unless her natural parents are billionaires). Saying that however she wont do anything about it while her natural mother is alive.
Aye but AFAIK there’s not a conclusive test for Aspergers like getting your cholesterol measured. It will be a conclusion drawn from a number of subjective tests, so even if the quack says “yes, all the signs say you have Aspergers” it’s not an exact diagnosis and then again you will be somewhere on an ethereal spectrum. They can’t say , “on a scale of 1-100 you are 83”, and even if they could, what exactly would that mean to you?

You just have to recognise and admit that you’re a ‘weirdo’* and adapt your behaviour to society so no one thinks you’re the wrongun kind of weirdo!

*we all are to some extent!

Now check out the genius that is Jim Jefferies on the topic of autism:

Last edited:
I got a diagnosis of aspergers (or Austin’s Spectrum Disorder as it’s officially known now)and I’m 35.

It answered so many questions and explained so much about why I am the way I am. It hasn’t stopped me counting to 10 every time I climb a staircase though. :lol:

In terms of benefits - only you can answer that really.
Thanks for this good honest answer.

When I am talking incessantly at someone about my latest interest that I am obsessed with It would be good to be able to them - I am sorry, I am autistic, please tell me to shut up if I go on too much rather than - sorry, I'm a nut job.

Thanks for this good honest answer.

When I am talking incessantly at someone about my latest interest that I am obsessed with It would be good to be able to them - I am sorry, I am autistic, please tell me to shut up if I go on too much rather than - sorry, I'm a nut job.

I can’t even tell when someone else is bored :lol:

Fortunately my family and friends know just to tell me to shut up :lol:

I can’t even tell when someone else is bored :lol:

Fortunately my family and friends know just to tell me to shut up :lol:
I learned to recognise most emotions (I think), although when I am off on one I cant. Tend to get the message when they have edged themselves half out the door mind.

Still need to learn how to wait my turn in conversations and meetings etc.

I sort of think that a diagnosis would make me more aware as the dyslexia diagnosis has.

I got a diagnosis of aspergers (or Austin’s Spectrum Disorder as it’s officially known now)and I’m 35.

It answered so many questions and explained so much about why I am the way I am. It hasn’t stopped me counting to 10 every time I climb a staircase though. :lol:

In terms of benefits - only you can answer that really.
Ah the counting games, we've all done em ;):lol:.

Ah the counting games, we've all done em ;):lol:.

I can now estimate how many steps there are to make sure when I reach the floor I’m on the number 10 :lol:

I learned to recognise most emotions (I think), although when I am off on one I cant. Tend to get the message when they have edged themselves half out the door mind.

Still need to learn how to wait my turn in conversations and meetings etc.

I sort of think that a diagnosis would make me more aware as the dyslexia diagnosis has.

That’s the most difficult thing at my work as well to be honest.

Last edited:
I can now estimate how many steps there are to make sure when I reach the floor I’m on the number 10 :lol:

That’s the most difficult thing at my work as well to be honest.
But we both know that the things we are compelled to say are far more important than what anyone else says or thinks and absolutely invaluable.

I used to count the f***ing steps it took from home to the bairns school man, nevermind 15 stairs ;):lol:.
I would often start off doing it then drift onto marching to the rhythm of a song in my head, invariably For What its Worth by Buffalo Springfield of all things. Since I gave up smoking and moved to a vape several years back it is now usually number of paces to a drag of the vape.

Last edited:

Back