Ashley Cole retires

Ashley Cole revolutionised the full back role. He's the same age as me and I also played left back and as an 18yr old I used to watch him in awe at how he got up field to support and back to defend. Prior to him left backs played left back, right backs played right back. Once he came along the wing back position became popular and the full back position died. How many full backs can't attack these days ? Hardly any if any. He's one of the best English players ever and probably the best in my lifetime, a genuine world class talent and a hero of mine.

Ashley Cole revolutionised the full back role. He's the same age as me and I also played left back and as an 18yr old I used to watch him in awe at how he got up field to support and back to defend. Prior to him left backs played left back, right backs played right back. Once he came along the wing back position became popular and the full back position died. How many full backs can't attack these days ? Hardly any if any. He's one of the best English players ever and probably the best in my lifetime, a genuine world class talent and a hero of mine.

But unfortunately an utter bellend

But unfortunately an utter bellend
He has done the odd bellendish thing I agree but haven't we all, he's just done his in the limelight. I think he comes across as a pretty decent bloke to be honest, I think I'd have a good night out and a laugh with him.

Last edited:

This will come as a shock to Cafu and Carlos who were Brazil's fullbacks at the time. Or contemporaries like Lizarazu, Zanetti or Frank De Boer. Hell, the 1970 world cup ends with Carlos Alberto steaming up the right to get onto a Pele through ball to score before lifting the trophy as captain.

This will come as a shock to Cafu and Carlos who were Brazil's fullbacks at the time. Or contemporaries like Lizarazu, Zanetti or Frank De Boer. Hell, the 1970 world cup ends with Carlos Alberto steaming up the right to get onto a Pele through ball to score before lifting the trophy as captain.
All full backs.

He started his career at Arsenal boys as a left winger - that's what made him so good going forward. Wenger saw something in him and tried him at left back. I loved him as a player. It hurt when he left us. No doubt about it he was world class. In today's market he'd be worth 100m at least.

90/91 season Pearce scored 16 goals from left back. He was excellent
Tbf he took free kicks and pens. Don’t get me wrong it’s still an amazing goals total for a FB. Cole was a world class left back. Can’t really say the same for Pearce. He was excellent, but not in the same league as Cole.

Back