Asda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following on from the earlier discussion about Jessops, and moving even further down the food chain, does anyone use Asda for C41 stuff?

I've just been in their Gosforth branch and chatting to the fella there discovered they will do process only for £2 per roll, and put them on a CD for 97p (he couldn't tell me the resolution of the scans, but I guess they're not that high). And he said that you can have up to 4 films put on the CD for that price. In other words, you can get 4 x 36 exp film developed and scanned to CD for £8.97.

Of course it's no longer good value if they make an almighty mess of the job. Possible good option for the test roll that's in the Olympus Trip, rather than anything more 'critical'.

well they must have dropped there prices, i have had films done there before and they were more expensive than that, cant remember what price i paid though.

quality was ok by the way.

well they must have dropped there prices, i have had films done there before and they were more expensive than that, cant remember what price i paid though.

quality was ok by the way.

The D&P prices aren't as obviously good mind: £6 for processing with 6x4 prints (2 day service), or £7 for 1 hour service. That's pretty much the same as a wide range of places including some pro labs. But £2 for developing only is dirt cheap, not to mention the 97p CD. You can always then take the scans back and get selected ones printed for about 10p each, and probably save money (on the basis that you're not printing all of them).

If you use cheap film too it's pretty economical all in all....no excuse not to shoot some film!

It also adds credence to the idea that someone starting out in 'serious' photography could do worse than to get themselves an old SLR on ebay for £30-£50 and learn the basics that way.

It also adds credence to the idea that someone starting out in 'serious' photography could do worse than to get themselves an old SLR on ebay for £30-£50 and learn the basics that way.

Last edited:
Used to use ASDA Boldon a few years back, they were canny enough. Used to print on matt/silk paper too which was nice. I'd still use them for 35mm C41 that doesn't really matter but I can't be arsed to drive through to Boldon - use Sainsbury's instead.

In case anyone's interested I gave a test roll from my Olympus Trip to Asda Gosforth to do process only plus scans (£2 + 97p) which they duly did within an hour. Can't really fault that service/price.

Only downside is that the scans are pretty low-res, and probably really only good enough for a 7x5 print at best. But of course you could always get a proper scan done of the negative if you had any fantastic photos on there that needed to be bigger (can't say I did in this case mind, but enough to prove that the Trip is working).

For me the big advantage is that I can walk there at lunchtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back