Asc home improvements

I used a cowboy off Facebook for a job once like, naive as out, got stung for £100, **** wanted £1500 for turning a leaking roof into Niagara Falls. Got someone off Checkatrade to fix it, spot on. I don't know any roofers so what would you recommend I do?

Need a joiner shortly too for a few bits so where should I be looking?
Joiner. I used Marley at Wheatsheaf. Good job.

Roofers are like hen's teeth.

Last edited:

I used a cowboy off Facebook for a job once like, naive as out, got stung for £100, **** wanted £1500 for turning a leaking roof into Niagara Falls. Got someone off Checkatrade to fix it, spot on. I don't know any roofers so what would you recommend I do?

Pm me and I’ll point you in the right direction.

I might even come round myself if your lass is a tidy bit stuff.

Last edited:

What do you need doing and where are you based, can recommend people

Wouldn't trust check a trade review ,i heard of one plumber who was fitting gas boilers and he wasn't even corgi registered ,using his mates gas number.

The trouble is who reviews these trades ? Office workers ?housewifes? etc ( not knocking you's),who do not know what a good job should look like and just see a new shiny top with shiny doors and think its a great job then leave a glowing review on check a trade .
As an example my mates mother got a kitchen fitted ,she thought it was lovely ,my mate asked my opinion as he thought the same ,i pointed loads of bad fitting and faults out that the untrained eye won't see.So his mother would have left a 5 star review if i hadn't pointed that stuff out, now times that by 50 over the year and you have a below average joiner getting 5 star reviews by 50 people . The joiner may turn up on time be polite etc but at the end of the day it's the quality of the finish that counts.

As i said earlier I'm not having a go at housewifes / office workers/people not in the trade , i'm just pointing out how reviews can be misleading .

The best review is from someone who's been in the game a long time and has worked with loads of different firms and knows the good ones from the bad ones.
As Gilly mentioned earlier if they can fit you in in 4weeks time from the initial quote then run for the hills.
If ya were any good yad still be at ya 1st firm...

Checkatrade and that not reliable?
Not necessarily, my ganny is a sucker for stuff like that and has been ripped off time and time again. She's had 'joiners' that bullshitted about making bespoke internal windows that were simply two half doors, they look ok but why not just tell the truth in the first place, how else would you get them to perfectly match the doors? . The same people had a 'nightmare' getting the timber a certain size for the sill on the fireplace, it was just two bits stuck together to make it look bigger :). Not to mention the 'damproofer' that repaired the damage but didn't stop the source which was actually the roof, luckily the roofer was ok. Its almost impossible to find decent tradesmen as the majority are useless

Well known door to door companies fit that bill who have adverts when emmerdale farm is on that the old gannies fall for spring to mind

FMB twice northern counties builder of the year here mind 🫡

Labc finalist twice aswell ..
I,m impressed Gilly. Never realised. Mind one of my sites got a Stirling prize and another a regional Labc but your achievements are Solid so respect

Winding up I heard. He’s head of the fmb up here ain’t he?
He’s the big cheese up here and rightly so.He reckons I’m the best about and he always keeps a lean eye on my jo s but I think he’s just being too kind .

Wait till he sees what my next job is.I’ll pm you details when it kicks off as you’ll think I’m exaggerating.
Doxford home improvements have horror stories on Facebook of ripping people off.
Last two words mate tell it all

Tell tale sign is if lads are on the jobs with hoods up,sniff/blow culture.

Last edited:

Back