As its Friday( i think!) your favourite pub still standing

• Thread starter Deleted member 27423
  • Start date

Mine is Bennetts Tollcross Edinburgh....only sadly get three four times a year(last night being one!)... This place has stood test of time...fantastic old atmospheric boozer with a list of whiskey to die for !
Any others that you always head for when " away from home"?
I bet you were in The Mitre anarl!!! There has been a shout out for another one of your old favourites “Ivy House “

Trillians, Newcastle

Has been there since the 80s and when I was uni in the early 90s it was great to find a Vaux pub so close although the Percy was also Vaux just a bit further away. Oh and ....

The Percy Arms, Newcastle

I bet you were in The Mitre anarl!!! There has been a shout out for another one of your old favourites “Ivy House “
Mitre been in there as well and whiskies!The Ivy had canny barmaids back in the day apparently!
Enough of me ...whats yours marra?
We could arrange. " tour" of some of the recomendations on here..some seem great shouts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Trillians, Newcastle

Has been there since the 80s and when I was uni in the early 90s it was great to find a Vaux pub so close although the Percy was also Vaux just a bit further away. Oh and ....

The Percy Arms, Newcastle

Lad I went to Monkwearmouth college with back in the early 1980s I think owns that place.

I rarely go out drinking now so all the places I used to frequent are probably closed or have a new name. But off the top of my head

The Travellers Rest in Belmont. Kind of my first local. Nowt special tbh.
The Saxon Warrior in Bulford.
The Wagon and Horses in Colchester
Both of the above were army pubs in garrison towns where I served. Did have some good nights out there.
Fagins Den also in Colchester. An after hours drinking establishment but had some unforgettable nights in there.
The Brunswick in South Shields. I really can’t explain why I went there so much. It certainly wasn’t to see not particularly good looking girls dancing topless in the cage above the bar.
Thats about it really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lad I went to Monkwearmouth college with back in the early 1980s I think owns that place.

I rarely go out drinking now so all the places I used to frequent are probably closed or have a new name. But off the top of my head

The Travellers Rest in Belmont. Kind of my first local. Nowt special tbh.
The Saxon Warrior in Bulford.
The Wagon and Horses in Colchester
Both of the above were army pubs in garrison towns where I served. Did have some good nights out there.
Fagins Den also in Colchester. An after hours drinking establishment but had some unforgettable nights in there.
The Brunswick in South Shields. I really can’t explain why I went there so much. It certainly wasn’t to see not particularly good looking girls dancing topless in the cage above the bar.
Thats about it really.
The Brunswick !....now that was a place?!!

Seen him a few times, but don't know him to speak to. Trillians used to be owned by a pub chain company after Vaux went under, but they closed it and it was one of the staff bought it off them and re-opened it as an independent bar.

Seen him a few times, but don't know him to speak to. Trillians used to be owned by a pub chain company after Vaux went under, but they closed it and it was one of the staff bought it off them and re-opened it as an independent bar.
His name is Dave Hills, although I haven’t seen him since we left college. We connected on Facebook about a year or so ago, but since then I’ve deleted my account cos Facebook is shite!

His name is Dave Hills, although I haven’t seen him since we left college. We connected on Facebook about a year or so ago, but since then I’ve deleted my account cos Facebook is shite!
Dave the sound guy, that's him! He used to just run the sound desk when bands were playing, then ended up buying the bar.

His wife wasnt Bev ( the Barmaid) by chance?

Back