'artlepool in the 70's

I got my first job in 74 working at the Towns steelworks. It was the main source of employment for the town. That’s virtually gone now as well.
Same here mate, but I started in '79 after leaving school.
I worked cash in hand, at a local fairground for a month or so, before I started in No.4 Plate Mill, at the South Durham Hartlepool works.
I was there, off and on, until 1989.

I got my first job in 74 working at the Towns steelworks. It was the main source of employment for the town. That’s virtually gone now as well.
Did a couple of years of my apprentice training at the college, we were in the old market hall in Church Street, then they built a new workshop and we moved nearer to the main building. About the same time as that film, some good memories, there were some cracking lasses went to the Art College.

Remember walking over the old Steelworks brdge to get to Seaton as a young un, my brother worked at Expanded Metal works till it closed down think that was around where the bridge started

Remember walking over the old Steelworks brdge to get to Seaton as a young un, my brother worked at Expanded Metal works till it closed down think that was around where the bridge started
Little known fact that nuclear weapons were tested on Hartlepool

The resulting explosions caused millions of pounds worth of improvements.
Hmm. First casualties on English soil in Ww1 were at Hartlepool. Over 100 people died as the German Navy bombarded it and many many homes were destroyed on the Headland.
The reason they bombarded it was that they realised it was a ship building centre that needed to be taken out.
Still think you’re funny ?
Little known fact that nuclear weapons were tested on Hartlepool

The resulting explosions caused millions of pounds worth of improvements.
I’ll try again cos I think it’s important. The first people to die on English soil in W W 1 were the 115 people from Hartlepool when their homes were bombarded by the German Navy fleet and many many houses and homes were ruined, reduced to rubble.
There was a reason why the German Navy risked their lives to bombard Hartlepool. It was because we were building ships to destroy the German Navy. and they knew it.
Hartlepool is the butt of a lot of jokes .We take it, of course we do, but we are proud of our town and you should be too.
We are proud to be County Durham folk just like a lot of you.

Last edited:
I’ll try again cos I think it’s important. The first people to die on English soil in W W 1 were the 115 people from Hartlepool when their homes were bombarded by the German Navy fleet and many many houses and homes were ruined, reduced to rubble.
There was a reason why the German Navy risked their lives to bombard Hartlepool. It was because we were building ships to destroy the German Navy. and they knew it.
Hartlepool is the butt of a lot of jokes .We take it, of course we do, but we are proud of our town and you should be too.
Logon or register to see this image

Did a couple of years of my apprentice training at the college, we were in the old market hall in Church Street, then they built a new workshop and we moved nearer to the main building. About the same time as that film, some good memories, there were some cracking lasses went to the Art College.
i did day release at hartlepool college when i was serving my time. we were at a building near the driving test centre and more importantly the jacksons(?) pub.
Hms warrior was refurbished there before moving to pompey...
as part of our apprenticeship we were given some doors to fabricate and weld up off the warrior. huge things, must've been about an inch and a half thick.

Says everything about the town that the train station still has a fecking hole in the wall off the first world war!

Originally a yacker, but I love it here.
Crimdon on doorstep, strolls round headland, seaton n meals down marina.
We have family in midland who are stunned at the improvements.

Anyone remember dockrock? I was too young, gutted as I love madness.
Yer jerkin arn yer.
Always think footage like that always looks far more dated than I remember those times.
Hard to believe those weekly wages £40/31/25.
Mind you I recall that beer prices in the club were about 10p a pint, I’d turn out on a Saturday night with £1, £1.50 if we planned to stay out longer.

When West were in the premiership we were in the Clarendon. In Jan they let everyone drink for 70p a pint, instead of xmas chits.
london irish fans were pissing themselves thinking the barmaid had undercharged them.
This would have been mid 90s, bet that was a canny saving on london pints like!

Last edited:
Anyone remember dockrock? I was too young, gutted as I love madness.
Aye was there for Gil Scott Heron, think it was a Sunday, my mate showed up with free tickets, went on the night was excellent.
i did day release at hartlepool college when i was serving my time. we were at a building near the driving test centre and more importantly the jacksons(?) pub.
Was on block release on an RTITB course for mechanics, was it called Lynn Street? memory not what it was, had some good times on lunch break in there.

Last edited:
Aye was there for Gil Scott Heron, think it was a Sunday, my mate showed up with free tickets, went on the night was excellent.

Was on block release on an RTITB course for mechanics, was it called Lynn Street? memory not what it was, had some good times on lunch break in there.

neither is mine tbh :oops:
i've just looked on google maps and nothing seems or looks familiar. i know i also did my motorbike test at the test centre nearby as well. about 1984 ish.

neither is mine tbh :oops:
i've just looked on google maps and nothing seems or looks familiar. i know i also did my motorbike test at the test centre nearby as well. about 1984 ish.
Remember a few dodgy moments at the bus station waiting on the G&B back to Coxhoe, old pissed woman came and sat next to me once thought I was going to get a sexual assault, relief when she got off in Station Town.:)

Looks pretty much the same to me.

The attitude of being resigned to it and "nothing we can do about it" pervades through the whole North East in my opinion.

I wasn't around back then to know how badly we were hit economically but it knocked the fight out of a lot of people and subsequent generations who now "accept their lot".

Not speaking about everyone by the way but you see it more in the North East than other areas of the country in my opinion.
Looks a lot different these days compared to the 60's/70's/80's.
My first job was at Herrings scrap yard down the back off Belle Vue Way, think they’re still going my sister in law worked there till she retired
I used to regularly take my scrap into Herrings, rather than Smithies. Henry used to play fair game with us on the weight and mix of scrap.
Lenny was a lot stricter, mind.

Last edited:
Remember a few dodgy moments at the bus station waiting on the G&B back to Coxhoe, old pissed woman came and sat next to me once thought I was going to get a sexual assault, relief when she got off in Station Town.:)

Drink with me dads mate who collected coal (might be him on the vid) then drove that bus. Got his end away on the last bus most saturdays!:lol:

Bo££0cks.. Hartlepool got jobs from refurbishing her.. Can't stand soft northerner s like you still crying about it...
I think you misunderstood what he meant.
He meant he tidied the quote to mean Portsmouth stole the ship after refurb, leaving all the hard graft and no permanent place at Hartlepool, which, like the Trincomalee, should've stayed as part of the museum it is now.

Back