Arrogant cyclist slaughters innocent mother

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll hold my hands up to not knowing the law about no front brakes. Is it illegal to have no front brakes on all bikes or just certain bikes on the road? What if you have front brakes on your bike but don't use them? I don't cycle that often, especially on roads as I've seen too many cyclists knocked over by cars, but when I have cycled on a mountain bike I hardly ever use the front break to stop for fear of flying over the handle bars.
No idea mate. As I said, the last cycling I did was back at uni. I daresay the laws were different back then anyway.

Any bike used on the road must have front and back brakes.
What about bells or hooters?

Do the cycle shops that sell you such a brake deficient device advise on it's roadworthiness, or did he take the brakes off himself?
He bought it 2nd hand and supposedly said he was using it on the track. The bike he had before, he removed the brakes himself and tweeted that it was like being in a well known stunt rider's video.

Only required on the front isn't it? Here's the regulations from this link and I can see 7b states it requires just 1 braking system but my head is spinning from reading it :lol:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1176/pdfs/uksi_19831176_en.pdf

Logon or register to see this image

So there is a legal requirement to have front brakes on a bike but not a requirement that you have to use them? Is there a test for how effective they are to satisfy the legal requirements or do you just have to have some sort of front breaking system?

He bought it 2nd hand and supposedly said he was using it on the track. The bike he had before, he removed the brakes himself and tweeted that it was like being in a well known stunt rider's video.

Only required on the front isn't it? Here's the regulations from this link and I can see 7b states it requires just 1 braking system but my head is spinning from reading it :lol:

The 1983 law states that all bikes must have a single braking system unless they have a saddle over 635mm (children's bikes only require one brake). It further states that more than one is required on any system with 4 or more wheels. The rules then stipulate that any bike over 635mm to saddle height must have two braking systems that must be independent, and that one must be fitted to the front wheel. Exceptions are made in the case of a tricycle with two front wheels and one back wheel, which requires one of the independent systems to be on the solitary rear wheel, and also when a wheel has peddles directly attached to the wheel hub (such as a penny farthing), which then require no brakes.

The biggest oddity is that a non-freewheel with peddles attached directly to the hub is treated differently to a non-freewheel, reverse-action braking hub such as on a fixie - both would have the same stopping ability as each other and one requires no brakes at all.

A further interesting point from the 1983 regulations is that your brakes must be "efficient", yet no clarification of efficiency is provided, it seems that a brake's effectiveness is perceptual.

So there is a legal requirement to have front brakes on a bike but not a requirement that you have to use them? Is there a test for how effective they are to satisfy the legal requirements or do you just have to have some sort of front breaking system?

They have to be "efficient" but no clarification of this term is provided. They can be tested at request by a policeman, although what he is measuring the efficiency against in the test seems to just be down to his own opinion of efficiency.

If the rear wheel doesn't 'freewheel' (i.e. a fixie) then a front brake only would be required, if it freewheels then you need a front and back brake, which also appears to cover those BMX read hubs where you could pedal backwards slightly to lock the hub.
They have to be fitted, if you didn't use them and there was a witness or CCTV then I dare say they'd do you for not paying attention (wonder if the same sort of due care and attention applies as it does to car drivers)

Anyway, only came across the above as the missus is swotting for her theory test and had the Highway Code to hand

@peil & @Jardin thanks for the info. I wonder if on the back of this there will be more info/legislation in the public domain. Any of you know how this compares with laws in other countries? Any chance it could lead to tests/servicings being carried out on bikes or having to pass a test to get a license to cycle on the road?

@peil & @Jardin thanks for the info. I wonder if on the back of this there will be more info/legislation in the public domain. Any of you know how this compares with laws in other countries? Any chance it could lead to tests/servicings being carried out on bikes or having to pass a test to get a license to cycle on the road?

That won't happen, no. A total overreaction.

They all ride back pedal brake bikes in the Netherlands an they're alright. The bike isn't really the issue here really is it.

He seems to be a bit of a tosser and needs to take responsibility for riding an illegal bike but in many respects this is a horribly unlucky incident with tragic consequences. For things to be fair from a legal perspective his sentence should be similar to that of someone knowingly driving a car or motorbike with defective brakes but no more severe just because it's a cyclist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back