Arrogant cyclist slaughters innocent mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have just yelled out the way out the way in my front room. Confirmed at 0.68 seconds. Fingers couldn't keep pace with voice actually.
Try doing it when you didn't know in advance that you'd need to, or what you'd need to say. Then add time for the woman to hear it, interpret it, validate it, and physically act. A second is nowhere near enough.

I haven't been a cyclist since my uni days but I'm absolutely sure that I could apply brakes quicker than all that. For one thing I'd be riding with my hands touching the break levers. My reaction times would be faster than a car driver's, too.

Try doing it when you didn't know in advance that you'd need to, or what you'd need to say. Then add time for the woman to hear it, interpret it, validate it, and physically act. A second is nowhere near enough.

I haven't been a cyclist since my uni days but I'm absolutely sure that I could apply brakes quicker than all that. For one thing I'd be riding with my hands touching the break levers. My reaction times would be faster than a car driver's, too.
really?

Don't be so daft man.

Typical OTT hysterical, stir the shit headline and thread title. It was a terrible accident. They happen, and this woman has been unfortunate to blindly wander out into the road, and its cost her the ultimate price. But lets sell a few more papers by any means possible. He deserves punishment, but not lynched.

If he hadn't been such a dick about it and showed a bit of remorse it might be a different story.

Irrespective of that, this incident is why bikes should have front brakes.

Because as i have explained i gave been told that his actions were directly affected by attitudes within the chinese male community.
If you are a shadow cabinet member, remember to resign your post on the way out.

Really what? If you mean react faster on a bike, definitely so. Your hands are already on the equipment. In a car, especially a manual, you might have to first move a foot. Also I think you're more alert and aware on a bike.

Last edited:
Crossing 10m away. Interesting.
Interesting but not relevant, nothing in the highway code says pedestrians must use crossings.

Now visible are cyclists? For the last few years courtesy of the EU new cars have to have running lights even in daylight. Now a car is a hell of a lot bigger than a cycle, and presumably therefor easier to see, so why can similar legislation not be applied to cyclists? Headlights, rear lights, and even reflectors appear to be an optional extra these days to some cyclists, and surely some form of hi-vis clothing is only common sense both for the cyclists and other road users safety.

Really what? If you mean react faster on a bike, definitely so. Your hands are already on the equipment. In a car, especially a manual, you might have to first move a foot. Also I think you're more alert and aware on a bike.

I just ride my bike and have never had my hands on the breaks unless, maybe, going downhill. It just has never occurred to me. i didn't know this was a thing.

I just ride my bike and have never had my hands on the breaks unless, maybe, going downhill. It just has never occurred to me. i didn't know this was a thing.
I'd have my hands over the levers in busy areas, not so much in not busy areas. And I'd also be hyper alert compared to driving cars in later years. Looking for cars going the wrong way, not stopping when I had right of way, etc. It pays to be paranoid on a bike.

I'd have my hands over the levers in busy areas, not so much in not busy areas. And I'd also be hyper alert compared to driving cars in later years. Looking for cars going the wrong way, not stopping when I had right of way, etc. It pays to be paranoid on a bike.

never even thought about it. I don't go that fast mind.

People do all sorts of involuntary stuff through absentmindedness. I've stepped out blindly onto roads before, without meaning to. We all have.

Having no brakes isn't absentmindedness though. It's calculated and illegal. You're knowingly exchanging personal safety (yours and others) for the thrill.
Most bmx riders have no front brake otherwise you can't spin the bars.

For one thing I'd be riding with my hands touching the break levers. My reaction times would be faster than a car driver's, too.
If you were riding any sirt of drop bar bike and hsd your hands on the tops or the hoods you would not have your fingers on the brakes. Why would your reaction times be quicker on a bike? Does riding a bike bestow the owner with super powers?

Last edited:
If you were riding any sirt of drop bar bike and hsd your hands on the tops or the hoods you would not have your fingers on the brakes. Why would your reaction times be quicker on a bike? Does riding a bike bestow the owner with super powers?
Not sure what you mean. I had a racer with brake levers that were accessible on the drop down bits and the horizontal bar. I think I covered the rest.

It wasn't a motorist, though. They face stringent safety checks on their cars because of their mass and speed, and bikes aren't tested at all. They are nowhere near as dangerous as cars, and that is reflected in legislation. If and when they are registered and face compulsory testing, then maybe they can roll out harsh penalties for riding unroadworthy bikes.

The more I think about this case, the more it doesn't add up. I'm struggling to see how the hell a direct collision was the outcome. Did she end up moving the same way as the cyclist swerved? Its like neither of them would yield out of a matter of principle! Of course, that's not the case, but Christ, if I saw I cyclist approaching, I'd at least avoid a direct hit, and if I were a cyclist, it'd be no different. Bikes are extremely manoeuvrable, as is an able bodied person.

If the pedestrian didn't see him it all, the scenario is more plausible, but it seems she did, and the cyclist had time to shout at her to get out of the way. It reminds me of movie scenes where implausible amounts of time elapse between people spotting a hazard and a collision occurring.

I know, and I'm not saying for a second that he shouldn't be punished for that.

I don't follow your reasoning here. Safety checks are irrelevant - he was riding a bike that wasn't legally roadworthy (no front brakes) - and in this case it was just as dangerous as a car.

Not sure what you mean. I had a racer with brake levers that were accessible on the drop down bits and the horizontal bar. I think I covered the rest.
But not everyone does and I would say you would find interrupter levers on less than 10% of drop bar bikes

Just to put this thread into perspective for any car drivers that want to use this case to have a continued go at cyclists there are 3 people killed every week by drivers that are never traced.

Last edited:
People do all sorts of involuntary stuff through absentmindedness. I've stepped out blindly onto roads before, without meaning to. We all have.

Having no brakes isn't absentmindedness though. It's calculated and illegal. You're knowingly exchanging personal safety (yours and others) for the thrill.
I'll hold my hands up to not knowing the law about no front brakes. Is it illegal to have no front brakes on all bikes or just certain bikes on the road? What if you have front brakes on your bike but don't use them? I don't cycle that often, especially on roads as I've seen too many cyclists knocked over by cars, but when I have cycled on a mountain bike I hardly ever use the front break to stop for fear of flying over the handle bars.

But not everyone does and I would say you would find interrupter levers on less than 10% of drop bar bikes

Just to put this thread into perspective for any car drivers that want to use this case to have a continued go at cyclists there are 3 people killed every week by drivers that are never traced.
I didn't say everyone does, just that I did.

I'll hold my hands up to not knowing the law about no front brakes. Is it illegal to have no front brakes on all bikes or just certain bikes on the road? What if you have front brakes on your bike but don't use them? I don't cycle that often, especially on roads as I've seen too many cyclists knocked over by cars, but when I have cycled on a mountain bike I hardly ever use the front break to stop for fear of flying over the handle bars.
Any bike used on the road must have front and back brakes.

Do the cycle shops that sell you such a brake deficient device advise on it's roadworthiness, or did he take the brakes off himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back