Arnold Schwarzenegger - Chester le Street Lad

Anyone seen the Roker Report tweet about Arnold Schwarzenegger living in Chester le Street in the 1970s? Seemingly he knew John Citrone who was Mr Universe once upon a time (he is from CLS). Arnie trained in Sunderland and lived with the Citrone's for a short spell. I asked about on facebook and lo and behold a picture surfaces of Arnie in Chester le Street with some of the lads i know. Couldnt believe it.

Anyone know anymore about this story? Mental. :cool:

Roker Report nicked that from Tyne & Weird. I know the lad who runs that. They didnt even credit his page/site or reword it, it was just a screenshot but they made sure to miss off the name of the page it was from.

this is the post. give the page a like

Roker Report nicked that from Tyne & Weird. I know the lad who runs that. They didnt even credit his page/site or reword it, it was just a screenshot but they made sure to miss off the name of the page it was from.

this is the post. give the page a like

Aye I saw that debate.

The lads btw in the photo above with Arnie in CLS, just in case anyone knows them are: left to right - Graham Hill, Arnie, Bruce Mahan (at the back), Gary Ramshaw and extreme right, just in picture is Michael Donahue. Looks about mid 70's. I was circa 16 and the other lads are 3 or so years older than me; so theyd be 19 or so.

I wonder if Arnie is still in touch with john Citrone or if he even remembers his nights in the Lambton Arms.... 🤔

Last edited:
Logon or register to see this image

Here is the picture. Arnie with 4 of the CLS lads I know. Mental that like.

the citrone's are a very well known family in CLS and have a cafe on the Front Street.
lived in Chester all me life, dont recognise any of them?
edit...knew Gary Ramshaw, was a class goalie, trialed for us if I remember.Gary was 3 school years older than me and im 55

Last edited:
lived in Chester all me life, dont recognise any of them?
edit...knew Gary Ramshaw, was a class goalie, trialed for us if I remember.Gary was 3 school years older than me and im 55
Gary was 60 back end of last year.
I had to be reminded of Bruce and Michael

don’t know them very well. I thought the lad at the back was Dickie Dawson at first glance. Gary has a younger brother Trevor who was also a good footballer

Last edited:
…...
Hitler used to spend his summer holidays at Roker. He drank in the Roker Hotel, Double Maxim was his beer of choice, Eva Braun drank Liebfraumilch!

He must be the right colour foreigner
Well nobody was going to argue if he wasnt.
Anyone seen the Roker Report tweet about Arnold Schwarzenegger living in Chester le Street in the 1970s? Seemingly he knew John Citrone who was Mr Universe once upon a time (he is from CLS). Arnie trained in Sunderland and lived with the Citrone's for a short spell. I asked about on facebook and lo and behold a picture surfaces of Arnie in Chester le Street with some of the lads i know. Couldnt believe it.

Im studded this was an actual thing, thank you for posting it!!!!

Last edited:
Didn't know that. He certainly got around.

He used to be a regular at the gym I frequented on Rosenheimer Strasse, Munich at the turn of the century - massive photographs of him on the wall. Everybody thought highly of him then but attitudes changed when his father's war record revealed he had been both a stormtrooper and in the SS and in the thick of the action in Poland & Russia - which was subsequently hushed up.
I think Arnie was going to do a book or a film saying how his father had had a benign war.

I've known about this for years-trained with an old friend of Citrones years ago, who told me the story. The best body builders in Europe lived in the North east, that's what brought him here.

You learn something new everyday.

Back